PDA

View Full Version : Mischief: Painting/Drawing with vectors made comfy!

probiner
06-14-2013, 10:59 AM
http://www.madewithmischief.com/

Downloaded the trial and feels focused and fun. Even it's not like free feels sculptris-like but for painting.

Cheers

jasonwestmas
06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Wow, that looks neat! One of the main reasons I've avoided 2d vector art was because of the limited blending and texturing capabilities. This somehow appears to go beyond those limitations. I'll definitely check this out. Thanks!

raymondtrace
06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Although slick, 2D vector painting/sketching is not entirely new. Creature House Expression draws painterly vectors too. (Download it for free with links at the bottom of the wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_House_Expression)) It was a great program before Microsoft bought it and dumbed it down to a simpler program. Get the 3.3 version before the Microsoft meddling.

The Mac version is for PPC but modern Intel Mac (and Linux) users can run the Windows version in Wine. It is a durable program.

The manual is here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/69228876/Creature-House-Expression-3

bazsa73
06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Love it, not even expensive. I will consider buying this.

safetyman
06-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Awesome stuff. At that price it competes well with Corel Painter.

probiner
06-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Another thing I think is might be quite interesting is to build though drawing board. You can always "go in" on a part of the paper and add more topics :D Issue is there are no navigation handles so you can easily pan and zoom on the spot you want.

probiner
11-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Price has dropped to half.
Had some fun last night and considering into buying :p
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3L8aYBlEdcI/Unhhd7wkW6I/AAAAAAAAAGo/wbl56zW-egA/s1600/Fierce_Old_Man.png

nickdigital
11-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah I'm considering buying it too. Would just like to see an update or a better indication that it's still being developed.

probiner
11-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Thought that myself.

sculptactive
11-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Really like the programs UI simplicity and the fact that you can export the image at any size. Only downside for me is that there is no paint bucket tool.

sami
11-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Great for the price, but the big downside is that it is all it exports is jpg. It doesn't export .AI or .SVGs at all - it saves as its own proprietary .art vector format - no other vector formats - layered or otherwise so it doesnt play nicely with anything else. Huge bummer, but it is super responsive & fast!!

probiner
11-07-2013, 03:38 AM
True, have been pointed that out before. Thought it exports Photoshop Layers with respective opacity. Vector export would be golden.

sculptactive
11-07-2013, 12:05 PM
True, have been pointed that out before. Thought it exports Photoshop Layers with respective opacity. Vector export would be golden.

Yes is does support PSD layers, PNG, Tiff the usual suspects, just no .AI or .SVGs files and AI does not import .lip files.

Waves of light
11-07-2013, 12:55 PM
That's a neat little bit of software. Would come in handy for storyboards and previz stuff. As you say, super quick. Shame it doesn't export to .ai or .svg

Quick doodle:

Doctor49152
11-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Would be even more awesome if it could load the files from my wacom inkling pen. Then I could rough out a sketch on paper, import it and continue on with the rest.

probiner
11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Sent an email asking about development and vector export. Also a suggestion to add canvas bookmark pins. To store position and zoom in the canvas to easily navigate from micro detail to micro detail.

Cheers

nickdigital
11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Cool, let us know if they respond. I'm subscribed to their newsletter. They sent out a survey a few months ago, so hopefully that means they're still an active company.

sublimationman
11-09-2013, 03:35 PM
That seems amazing... Now if I could only draw.

Davewriter
11-09-2013, 07:01 PM
That seems amazing... Now if I could only draw.

Dammit! I thought I was the only one with that mutant power.
Even my Stick Man commited suicide.

probiner
11-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Yesterday I was drawin and still life cloth and wanted to do some flat strokes. Mischief only does circular or caligraphic strokes :( None can be set to follow orientation or so.
Rediscovered Krita (http://krita.org) and had a quite good run. Today a bud directed me to [url=http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/]PaintTool SAI[url] and found it amazing!
I'm gonna sit tight and play more before deciding what to get

Here's 61 Solutions response. Cheers

Hi Probiner, thanks very much for your email and your support on Newtek. We're continuing to work on Mischief and have a list of user requests that we use to set priorities. We've added your voice to the list, and welcome any more suggestions that you have. We've had quite a few requests for a navigation system, including ways to bookmark or pin canvas locations and views. We're planning to add some kind of navigation system in the future and are looking into ways to do this that fit in with our goal of providing a simple and natural experience.

With respect to your other questions, as we make improvements, we load updates on our web site and post to our facebook page and email list (both can be accessed from our web site). These can be downloaded to update a purchased version or restart the free trial. The answer to the request for vector export is a little more complicated. Here is the explanation from our web site:
Mischief uses a new representation for input strokes that we call textured strokes. Textured strokes are vector-
like, but they are different from conventional vector formats. Like conventional vectors, textures strokes are a
mathematical representation so they can be scaled without pixelization artifacts. However, textured strokes are
a richer representation than conventional vectors so conversion from textured strokes to conventional vectors
would result in a loss of detail and quality as well as significantly larger file sizes. For that reason, we don't
provide an export to conventional vector formats.

.art files store the textured strokes and other meta-data of your artwork in a compressed format to keep file
sizes as small as possible. It is not so much a proprietary format as it is a unique or novel format. Other
programs can't open .art files because they do not know how to represent and render Mischief's textured
strokes. This is one of the downsides of introducing a new stroke representation; the upside is what you
experience when you draw with Mischief and when you export your artwork to images of any size and
resolution.

Hope this helps to clarify things. Let us know if you have other questions or suggestion!
All the best, The Mischief Team

Davewriter
11-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Seems as if I've seen reps showing this a couple of Comic-cons and Anime Cons.
Looked like it had a fairly easy learning curve to it.
Of course when you see these things at shows it always seems as if "it" will (fill in function) by itself while making you breakfast.

jwiede
11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
It is not so much a proprietary format as it is a unique or novel format. Other programs can't open .art files because they do not know how to represent and render Mischief's textured strokes.
A "unique or novel format" you say?! Well la-di-dah then, fetch the Grey Poupon! :twak:

Keeping a "unique or novel format" private, withholding the knowledge of how to represent and render that format pretty much is the definition of a "proprietary format".

Very disappointed by that answer, as I thought their product had promise. Unfortunately, they're just playing word games, and demonstrating a low regard for their customers' intelligence.