PDA

View Full Version : Can't save edit projects

Daren
03-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Just installed Toaster on new clean hard drive everything seems to work fine infact great exept,

When I go to save my work in TED it looks like it might be saving it on my C: Drive instead on Toaster Drive.

When I look for my saved project I can't find it. Maybe I installed something wrong.

Paul do you have any idea if I am doing something wrong?

Daren Carstens

SBowie
03-04-2003, 01:53 PM
The default ToasterEdit Project save directory is buried in the Video Toaster folder. There are distinct disadvantages to this - you just found one. Another is that if you update or re-install the Toaster software, you will overwrite your project files (yikes!)

Many of us create a folder somewhere else on the system for this purpose. I generally create one called VT_Projects, and inside that are CG_Projects and TEd_Projects folders. Use "Save As" to point TEd there the first time, and create Aliases in the File Bins for those two entries (Aliases are great time savers.) Much safer, and you don't have to go hunting for the files later...

Scott Bates
03-04-2003, 03:51 PM
When I go to save my work in TED it looks like it might be saving it on my C: Drive instead on Toaster Drive.

Something to consider if you have the option Daren. I always partition my main system drive so only the OS and other "minor" apps are on C: (the most likely to have a problem which requires a re-format and re-install). The second partition on the drive is my "Programs" drive where the Toaster and other related software are installed, my "production software". Like Steve and others, I create directories on the root of that partition (OUTside the Toaster directory) that I name TedProjects, CGProjects, AuraProjects, DVEs, etc. and that's where all those important files are saved. That does two things; it keeps them off the drive/partition that is most likely to fatally crash, and it keeps them where they won't be deleted or overwritten each time I install the next Toaster upgrade. I also routinely (at least daily) backup all those project files to a physically separate drive as added insurance; I use a "Backups" partition I created on my audio drive.

FWIW.....

Jim Capillo
03-04-2003, 05:40 PM
I've also done as Scott and Steve have done - nothing but system files on the C: drive and a separate "Projects" folder where I keep the projects in. Works fine for me !

wvp
03-04-2003, 08:48 PM
I have been in the habit of creating a new ted project & then immediately doing a 'save as' & saving the (still empty) project onto my video drive.
I like to put the project file & every other file (video/audio/stills,etc) into one folder with the project name. Well usually I create sub folders for some of the stuff, but this way all the files for that project are in one folder.

Having said this, I would LOVE to see TED not automatically create a file when starting a new project. Periodically I go into that default folder & delete all those 1k empty project files. :(