PDA

View Full Version : Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

erikals
06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
article... >
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

Serling
06-13-2013, 04:36 PM
article... >
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

The high cost of filmmaking, affordable HD content (Blu-ray) and viewing (TVs) for the masses, the rise of indie filmmakers using (relatively) inexpensive HD cameras and desktop tools, and the breadth and depth of entertainment channels from which to choose have forever affected the way films are distributed (just as the megaplex cinemas in malls and VHS put an end to drive-ins) and the way they are funded and produced.

And I agree with Spielberg: TV is the place to do serious filmmaking now: it's cheaper to produce episodic TV shows and movies and the marketing and distribution channels appealing to specific audiences are well established. There isn't as much risk producing a TV film for Lifetime as there is trying to market and distribute that same film theatrically to a mass audience in the hopes that you'll recover your investment. You already have solid marketing data if you know what you're doing will be produced and viewed on Lifetime, for instance. Investors (studios) are getting tired of gambling on big budget films that don't even recover their production costs. They're looking for "cost-certainty" and ROI (return on investment) and TV is better poised to provide that right now.

The indies have niche channels and Youtube, but the big studios have bought TV networks to serve as their primary marketing and distribution channels because of the cost-certainty they get from these.

One more thing...aside from the 2 or 3 usual summer blockbusters we get every year, most of the buzz generated in the public surrounds episodic TV shows: Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, older shows including Lost, Desperate Housewives, CSI, etc. I'm having Grimm withdrawals right now because the season two finale was so freaking awesome. In other words, I'm as stoked about the return of a TV show as I am about the next epic Marvel release! Yes, TV has gotten that much better over the years.

I haven't even watched Lincoln yet. Probably a good movie. Don't care. I know how it ends. Spielberg probably should have gone HBO with it. ;)

shrox
06-13-2013, 05:20 PM
...I haven't even watched Lincoln yet. Probably a good movie. Don't care. I know how it ends...

Oh no you don't. The timeline is changed when a train on the underground railroad becomes derailed and kills Kennedy's grandmother.

I read the article the other day, a lot of media is changing, movies released direct to XBox is not far away.

Serling
06-13-2013, 06:01 PM
oh no you don't. The timeline is changed when a train on the underground railroad becomes derailed and kills kennedy's grandmother.

I read the article the other day, a lot of media is changing, movies released direct to xbox is not far away.

lol!

Davewriter
06-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Hey Shrox - how about a spoiler alert?
Dang and I was thinking about seeing it this weekend.
Oh, and there is this one I just saw. I think its an indie film, pretty good. Called The Avengers.
Spoiler Alert!
The butler did it. I never saw that coming!

mikala
06-13-2013, 11:18 PM
If his thoughts prove to be true, I predict (not condone) a shiteload more downloading getting done illegally.
They will be pricing themselves out of business. Well at least your local screeners will be.