PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey,Tango,Foxtrot

digitalimagery
06-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm Confused.

Last night I rendered a logo animation. When opening the files they all appear lighter than my test rendered stills.

I changed some settings, output another test image - looks fine in the render preview but after saving as a 32 bit PS the same "lightness appears." I don't believe I've done anything that would change my camera or render settings.

Moving onto a new job (while I ponder this) I did some tests with the frames attached. The first one is what I'm seeing in the render window (inside LW - 10.1 btw) but again after saving and opening in PS I get the same lighter version.

Attachments (1 = what I see inside LW, 2= what I get when saved as a PSD, 32bit and open the image in PS). My settings are attached. Any clue to what's causing114879114880114881 this?

Thanks
DI

shrox
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Is that a reflection map as a reflection?

RebelHill
06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Its your colour space I reckon. Set CS to the sRGB preset, should be fine thereafter.

shrox
06-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Its your colour space I reckon. Set CS to the sRGB preset, should be fine thereafter.

Better answer.

digitalimagery
06-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Is that a reflection map as a reflection?

It's a spherical environmental map (raytraced).

DI

- - - Updated - - -

Better answer.

Thanks I'll check that. Didn't think I changed it from sRGB.

DI

RebelHill
06-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Whats most important is that your output file is set to be "tagged" as sRGB (which should happen when you activate the preset CS mode)... else ur saving the file with linear gamma.

Andrewstopheles
06-11-2013, 12:34 PM
What version of Lightwave are you using? That Render Globals "Filtering" panel looks.... interesting.

digitalimagery
06-11-2013, 12:36 PM
what version of lightwave are you using? That render globals "filtering" panel looks.... Interesting.

lw 10.1

rc

digitalimagery
06-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Whats most important is that your output file is set to be "tagged" as sRGB (which should happen when you activate the preset CS mode)... else ur saving the file with linear gamma.

Pardon my lack of experience but HUH? Where do I "activate my preset to CS mode?" I'm afraid that's not one I'm familiar with. I've recently been experimenting with DOF, could I have changed something in the dialogs that deal with that?

Thank you.
DI

digitalimagery
06-11-2013, 01:01 PM
What version of Lightwave are you using? That Render Globals "Filtering" panel looks.... interesting.

This attachment is what my output dialog is set at (and is what it's been since I started having this issue). I suspect this is what you're referring to?

DI

Andrewstopheles
06-11-2013, 08:08 PM
This attachment is what my output dialog is set at (and is what it's been since I started having this issue). I suspect this is what you're referring to?

DI

Not so much, no, sorry. I was curious that there was a separate Filtering tab in the Render Globals panel. I don't remember it from before but I don't have 10.1 installed anymore to compare.

speismonqui
06-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Pardon my lack of experience but HUH? Where do I "activate my preset to CS mode?" I'm afraid that's not one I'm familiar with. I've recently been experimenting with DOF, could I have changed something in the dialogs that deal with that?

Thank you.
DI

lw 10.1? mmm... yeah!

check your "Preferences"/CS/Quick preset = sRGB

http://www.3danimation.be/images/Lightwave10/rob-powers/Lightwave-10-Linear-colors-preferences.jpg

If you don't have the "Quick Preset" button (can't remember if it's 11.0 only), set everything to sRGB except both alphas and float files.

don't worry about DOF, it's definitively the Color Space (I think / hope) :thumbsup:

eKalb
06-13-2013, 10:08 AM
DigitalImagery press the "d" key to open your preferences panel. There is a tab labeled CS or Color Space (I don't remember what 10.1 called it) there you will find a drop-down menu with presets like Linear and sRGB among a few others. It's possible they didn't have the presets in 10.1, but you should be able to set all of the items on the panel manually to sRGB except anything to do with Alphas and Float Files. You can also tick all of the check boxes.

For some reason I completely missed the post above mine...:bangwall:

digitalimagery
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
lw 10.1? mmm... yeah!

check your "Preferences"/CS/Quick preset = sRGB

http://www.3danimation.be/images/Lightwave10/rob-powers/Lightwave-10-Linear-colors-preferences.jpg

If you don't have the "Quick Preset" button (can't remember if it's 11.0 only), set everything to sRGB except both alphas and float files.

don't worry about DOF, it's definitively the Color Space (I think / hope) :thumbsup:

YAE! (You too eKalb!) That was it! Thanks so much. Never knew what effect these settings had and what's more I have no idea how they got changed. At least I can render my file properly now and put this project to bed.

Thanks a million!
DI