PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Pro

Tony3d
06-10-2013, 06:00 PM
So what are your thoughts on the new Mac Pro. I'm a bit disappointed, but I will keep an open mind till I see the final release. I am glad I bought my 12 core 3.06 gig machine last year though.

eblu
06-10-2013, 06:56 PM
i think it is the way of the future.
I *hate* the idea that I will have a nest of cables hooking up to it with 65 devices, but I get what they are trying to do.

the old pro came at a particular price point. if you looked at the ratio of cost:performance, you could see that there was a ton of stuff that: cost a lot, and took up a lot of room.
so they took a second look at what IS a computer, and they finally dropped the PCI, dropped everything that wasn't essential for the cost:performance ratio, and delivered: a computing pod.

the gpu is soldered in, so they boosted that farther than strictly necessary, and they are leveraging that in other ways. expandability is external only so when you get a new pod, the old one is interchangeable.

it's a good idea, what I'm waiting for is the price, and thunderbolt devices.

JoePoe
06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
eblu - where are you seeing that the GPU is soldered in??

That to me would be the one sore spot in something that looks pretty fantastic (of course once I know the price).
I even like the form factor. I am perfectly willing to have the smaller core footprint at the expense of T-bolt expansion ..... for most things! But GPU isn't one of them.
But I've been doing some reading and I don't think OpenCL is dead in the water. In fact I think it's gaining support..... (although, no doubt, CUDA has jumped out to a big big lead).

eblu
06-10-2013, 08:13 PM
joePoe, sorry... it's not soldered in. I'm speaking a lot less technically than I probably should.
the GPUs are custom designed. There's no off-the-shelf replacement. Apple has been fairly liberal about showing us the machine, so we know most of what we need to, and can guess the rest. The 2 gpus are plugged into the backplane, which sits at the bottom of the device. so the "graphics cards" don't even have the standard shape. They are monsters, capable of supporting a massive amount of pixels, but that's because you won't be upgrading them. It's an Apple component through and through, and with such a tight design... there isn't an intention for an OEM market to spring up. The tolerances are too finite.

the pro has a lot in common with the macBook Pro. expect advanced assembly that you simply can't take apart, and that's what I meant when I said "soldered in." It will likely require a trip to an apple store if the GPU ever does a belly flop. The good news is: Apple knows it inside and out.

3dworks
06-11-2013, 12:27 AM
why not use this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135939-new-mac-pro-on-it-s-way ;-)