PDA

View Full Version : "Flair" format motion control data - import?

stiff paper
06-10-2013, 11:20 AM
I have a bunch of .xyz files that were exported from a motion control rig. They're simple .txt files with a specific format, but essentially they're a list of xyz coords for the camera and for the camera "target".

Has anybody seen a script anywhere that'll import these files? I've looked, but I've come up blank. It just seems like the kind of thing somebody would have had to deal with before now.

Short of that, I'll have to try going through Maya, but I'd rather not...

nickdigital
06-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Information in this thread might help.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135000-Is-there-a-script-for-importing-a-list-of-coordinates&highlight=vector+data+importer

It would just be a matter of parsing the data, creating a curve in Modeler, then exporting the curve as a motion path. The more direct route would be for a script to make the .mot file automatically. I made that script to be fairly "smart" in ingesting the data in any format. But without seeing your text file I can't guarantee that my script works.

stiff paper
06-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the thread link. I can reformat the files by hand to an obj if all else fails, it'll be tedious but it's not impossible, so that's good to know.

I'm surprised that there isn't a script floating around out there for this. I guess it's time to try the Maya route.

I don't think your script will work, mainly because of the way the Flair format is... formatted. This is what the files look like:

nickdigital
06-10-2013, 12:13 PM
It shouldn't be hard to modify the script to ingest this...

It has columns that I don't know what the data represents tho...I assume XV is x vector? What is XT?

stiff paper
06-10-2013, 12:21 PM
As best I understand it...

For each line:
The three "V" coords are the camera position.
The three "T" coords are the target position (what the camera is pointing at, I assume).

So, yes, it looks like there are actually two motions per file.

I think. (The format allows an option for the "T" data to be replaced with pan and tilt data, but that's not used here.)

nickdigital
06-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Ah ok, thanks for the info.