PDA

View Full Version : Can you still buy Lighwave 8

Hiddenevil
06-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Hi everyone

I've been looking online and not come up with any real answers, but is it still possible to buy past versions of LW? Such as version 8? A friend of mine has it and the more I use it, the more I wouldn't mind having a copy for myself.

-J

Megalodon2.0
06-09-2013, 03:07 AM
Check the Buy/Sell?Trade Lightwave forum below.

Oftentimes users sell old versions so others can upgrade for less money.

Hiddenevil
06-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Thanks, I did have a look, but there seems to be something odd happening. If i click into that section i only see two topics for LW 11, but if i do a search for "Lightwave Sale" it shows there are many posts in the for sale section *scratches head*

JonW
06-09-2013, 06:48 AM
If you buy LW11.5 in the next few weeks you get a bundle price. LWCad is a brilliant plugin for LW. 11.5 could easily keep you going for a few years if you didn't want to upgrade. I wouldn't want to go back to even 9.6, 11.5 has so many new things which makes life a lot easier & so much quicker. Don't forget if you upgrade your computer running LW from another box is not an issue like most other companies.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/lightwave_lwcad_promo/?utm_source=may_newsletter_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

nickdigital
06-09-2013, 08:21 AM
You could also try ebay. I found one listing for LW8.

cagey5
06-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks, I did have a look, but there seems to be something odd happening. If i click into that section i only see two topics for LW 11, but if i do a search for "Lightwave Sale" it shows there are many posts in the for sale section *scratches head*

Try changing the option to show all threads rather than posted in last month.

Hiddenevil
06-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Is there a big difference between 8 and 11? I borrowed Inside Lightwave 8 would the book still be relevant?

djwaterman
06-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Yes there's a massive difference, but from a learning point of view the interface and tools are recognis-ably the same, the old manual will still be useful to a point until you start discovering the improved workflows. But if you can find a cheap version of 8 I guess that would allow you to upgrade. As JonW mentioned, if you buy 11.5 now you get LWCad as well, I wish I could get that, you should take it while you can if you have the money.

digitaldoc
06-09-2013, 07:35 PM
The ebay listing is pretty cheap. Includes dongle so should be upgradable.
I'd check to make sure you can change registration to yourself.

Waves of light
06-10-2013, 01:30 AM
If you really want to start learning Lightwave at that entry version, then the Dan Alban range of books are brilliant and will serve you well. You can also pick up Lightwave 8 Killer Tips, LightWave 3D 8 1001 Tips & Tricks, LightWave 3D 8 Lighting and many more on ebay for next to nothing. In fact, I have most of those books and don't use them anymore, so if you're willing to pay for the postage, you can have them as I don't use them anymore. PM me.

I understand that not everyone is able to afford a new piece of software and going down the upgrade route is a good and cost effective route. However, Lightwave has changed so much since version 8, and whereas there is similarity in some functionality, the additional functions introduced in 9.6, 10 and 11-11.5 are in my option invaluable (VPR, Linear Colour Space, Instancing, Fracture, Bullet Dynamics, etc)

Here's a long list of the features brought in for each version of lightwave. Scroll down to the bottom to see the additions made to 9 through to 11.5
http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/LightWave_History

And then there's LWCAD, an almost essential add-on to LW, which as state above, is bundled with the full version of 11.5 here:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/lightwave_lwcad_promo/

Also, check out NTs youtube channel for lots of videos, including the William Vaughan collection.

Whichever route you decide to take, you are in good hands on this forum.

Ricky.

Hiddenevil
06-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys its really appreciated. I sadly do not have the $1000 to buy LW 11.5, which is why I thought 8 would be a little more affordable. I have dabbled with 8 on a friends machine and thought it was amazing. The last version of LW I bought was v5 for my Amiga, so yes it has been a while lol. Even if I did have the funds for 11.5, I'm concerned that being a hobbiest and not a professional CG artist doing comissions, I would probable not make full use of all the new features.

Again thank for sparing the time to reply everyone, its been really helpful :-)

Ricky expect a pm, that would be great

UnCommonGrafx
06-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Professionals are STILL trying to use all that 8.5 had to offer. :)

I think that's a fallacy: most of this software has incredible depths which not even the programmers know or expect. You wouldn't have learned all of 8 and I doubt you would do worse with 11.5. As a matter of fact, I KNOW you would touch more of the tools in 11.5 than 8 and thus more depth.

Good luck on your mission. Lots of your time will now disappear. :)

Hiddenevil
06-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Haha thank you for that, I have to confess that do feel like I've only scratched the surface to LW. I read up on what people are doing on forums and I'm left scratching my head :-P

Just out of interest why do you say that about 11 over 8? Is 11 easier to use or something?

Phil
06-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys its really appreciated. I sadly do not have the $1000 to buy LW 11.5, which is why I thought 8 would be a little more affordable. I have dabbled with 8 on a friends machine and thought it was amazing. The last version of LW I bought was v5 for my Amiga, so yes it has been a while lol. Even if I did have the funds for 11.5, I'm concerned that being a hobbiest and not a professional CG artist doing comissions, I would probable not make full use of all the new features.

Again thank for sparing the time to reply everyone, its been really helpful :-)

Ricky expect a pm, that would be great

If you have the details for that old Amiga version, you can probably upgrade it to current. Ask Customer Service.

Hiddenevil
06-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I dont if think I know where my floppy disks are lol

nickdigital
06-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I dont if think I know where my floppy disks are lol

Reach out to customer service. They may be able to look you up via your personal info (name, address, email, etc). You obviously bought the program way back when...so you should be in the system.

hazmat777
06-10-2013, 10:49 AM
I have an unopened version of LW 6 that might be upgradeable. It's never been registered and the dongle is still sealed in it's original packaging. The box itself is unsealed (how else would I know about the stuff inside ;p ) . PM me with an offer if you are interested.

Hiddenevil
06-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Cheers, I might look in to it. My father bought me the software when I was in my teens, so any paper work will be with him.
Hazmat - sent you a pm :-)

nickdigital
06-10-2013, 04:51 PM
If you can upgrade your existing seat to LW11 it'll be cheaper than buying another seat and upgrading that since you'd be paying someone for their seat + the upgrade price.

Dodgy
06-11-2013, 09:09 PM
I would say 9 brought nodes, which made LW so much more powerful than 8, so go for 9 if you can. 10 brought VPR (realtime rendering in the viewport) which makes nodes easier to experiment with, but you could do without it. 11 was the next big step up. So if I were you, I'd get 9.

JonW
06-12-2013, 02:26 AM
I bought 6.5, didn't use it for years, then started using it, & upgraded to 9 pretty quickly. The biggest difference for me was rendering speed. Rendering speed now is so much quicker, & you can get away with very low settings if you are in a real hurry.

Another great thing is instancing. Worth it's weight is a forest of trees & grass! & renders quick!

VPR for previews & is some situations a final render.

LW is very stable now.

You never stop learning with LW. Yes about 2 years to get reasonably proficient. I've only scratched the surface!

I will hark back to LWcad, it is a brilliant plugin, everyone who has used it does not know how they survived without it.

Waves of light
06-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Hey - check this thread out - LW 11.5 for $600:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136127