PDA

View Full Version : I need some hardware help...Please...!! LOL

jayrathman
11-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Does anyone have any info on how I can configure 2 VT3 systems to be able to share the storage drives, so that they can access the same files together...?

Also, because there is so much stuff in this show, I will have 2 editors working on the various b-roll, feature pieces, creating the CG's, and animation on this TV show, that as we use VT3 to switch the show as we lay the show down live to tape, the various feature pieces and b-roll clips already been cut, the director should be able to just fire those clips during the live taping of the show as he also swithes the cameras, inserts CG, etc....right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...!

BTW - We will be based in Atlanta, Ga if anyone that is very proficient in VT3 applications is looing for a great full-time gig...

Jay Rathman
Exec. Producer

Jim Capillo
11-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Do you have the RS-8 hard surface switcher? Networked, it should be easy with that....

bradl
11-10-2003, 07:49 PM
You need very high sustained data throughput for effective use of VT3. For this reason almost all users only use local dedicated drives. Using a 2Gb Fiber Channel setup with Fiber Switch could be used to set up a shared environment with true collaboration of the media. However, I have not heard of anyone getting more than 200MB/s sustained throughput on a shared system over Fiber. I could be wrong but this is the best info I have on the subject. That is fastest enough for most stuff, but not exactly 2 Gb/s. Secondly, the setup to do this is very expensive, but the prices are falling for FC hardware.

Maybe you could do a more traditional (and affordable) approach with two systems networked together and just transfer the finished files over. That is what we do. Also some people use firewire drives to sneakernet their data between systems. With standard 100Mb ethernet, large file transfers are slow. We very much want to move toward a 2Gb setup but are willing to wait a little longer to make sure we do it right and in such a way as it will be viable for several years.

There was a thread where Allen Johnson (BlondePower) had actually set up a FC system with a toaster. See this thread - RAID Question (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12393&highlight=jbod). He sent me some of the details of how it was setup, so contact him if you are interested.

bradl
11-10-2003, 07:54 PM
There are several turn-key solutions such as Rorke Data. While in theory VT3 would work, I don't know of anyone who has certified VT3 with their SAN solution. I have talked to John Rorke, Paul Lara and Michael Holton (Aussie) about getting VT3 certified with Rorke's SAN but so far (2 years now) nothing has happened that I know of.