PDA

View Full Version : Don't understand UV Unwrap.

Tony3d
06-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Please help me with this. I just don't understand how UV unwrap works. I never get anything I expect to see.

OnlineRender
06-07-2013, 10:39 AM
http://lightwiki.com/tutorials/texturing/item/364-lightwave-115-abf-uv-unwrapping#.UbIMyPmyBzA

3DGFXStudios
06-07-2013, 10:47 AM
If you have wonky geometry it doesn't work.
Try unwrapping a ball. Select some edges and press unwrap.... done. Sometimes it's nice to do a uv relax afterwards.

hrgiger
06-07-2013, 11:36 AM
I really hope they do add more options for ABF unwrap. Like being able to send unwrapped geometry to an existing UV map. And of course more advanced UV features like stitching, relax, packing and distortion mapping.

3DGFXStudios
06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I really hope they do add more options for ABF unwrap. Like being able to send unwrapped geometry to an existing UV map. And of course more advanced UV features like stitching, relax, packing and distortion mapping.

Totally agree! I really miss a packing tool.

OnlineRender
06-07-2013, 12:04 PM
yeah more intuitive UV tools would be loverly ... I really hope for weight painting tools however

MarcusM
06-07-2013, 12:13 PM
You just must take a litle practice in making UV maps. ABF is simple tool, too simple... why is not possible to write new UV map name, must be always default "unwrap" ;]
Gnerally I recommand (like many other users i think) PLG tools http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/plg-tools/

Sometimes to make good UV you must unconnect polygons (copy/del/paste) and after making UV just merge points.

BigHache
06-07-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm glad to have the new ABF UV Unwrap. But I'm also wondering when we will get the Pelt tools (or today's equivalent) that were touted a bit back. I should just pickup 3D Coat and be done with it.

jwiede
06-08-2013, 02:44 AM
The problem, as I see it, is that LW still doesn't have a "UV toolset". LW has a few UV-manipulating tools, but nothing like a thought-out set of tools designed to implement workflows for typical needs and scenarios. Adding another tool or two won't solve that, they need to sit back and figure out "What are the workflows for UVs in LW" and then add/modify tools in order to facilitate those end-to-end workflows. In other words, let the workflows decide the tools, instead of implementing tools and then trying to patch together workflows.

Spinland
06-08-2013, 07:34 AM
IMO 3D Coat is worth the price of admission even if you never do anything with it besides UV Mapping. I consider the UV tools that good.

CaptainMarlowe
06-08-2013, 11:57 AM
+1 with the urge for having a proper UV toolset. PLG is not an option for mac users, so we really need something more usable. Right now, I'm using 3D-Coat too for UV manipulation, but I'd rather do that directly in modeler.

Tony3d
06-08-2013, 12:13 PM
http://lightwiki.com/tutorials/texturing/item/364-lightwave-115-abf-uv-unwrapping#.UbIMyPmyBzA

This helped, but the tool really isn't all that helpful in it self.

Surrealist.
06-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Could you be specific with the problem you are having? Not going to say that UV mapping is anything to get exited about in LightWave. But... often UV mapping is a process of doing a little bit at a time. Unwrapping parts of the mesh and manipulating. There is as much of a workflow to it as there are tools. Give us some screen caps of the object. It is usually a matter of breaking it down into a series of projections. Usually you don't want to try and unwrap an entire complex object at one time.