PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft goes to the Cloud: Xbox One users must have broadband

robertoortiz
06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
" Microsoft: Xbox One users must have broadband, check in online

Microsoft has released official documentation concerning several of the policies, features and requirements of its upcoming Xbox One console. Among these are details on its periodic online checks, remote access to a player's game library, and recommended connection speed.

Regarding the previously detailed regular online check-in:

[Y]ou can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

Regarding technical specifications and networking requirements:

Xbox One is equipped with a gigabit Ethernet port and 802.11n wireless. With 802.11n, Xbox One can use the 5GHz wireless band which eliminates considerable interference from other devices in the home, such as cordless phones, Bluetooth devices and microwaves. Xbox One uses two wireless antennas, versus one in Xbox 360.

For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.

While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.

"

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193821/Microsoft_Xbox_One_users_must_have_broadband_check _in_online.php

cresshead
06-07-2013, 10:24 AM
if that's correct the xbox one will never enter my house.
(i'm an xbox 360 owner btw)

Snosrap
06-07-2013, 12:53 PM
I'll still get one.

hrgiger
06-07-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm going PS4 anyway.

cagey5
06-07-2013, 01:32 PM
As part of the demo I saw them using facial recognition to 'recognise when players change positions' but also read how if lending a game to another console user then the owner had to be present by keying in an authentication code.
How long until facial recognition is required to play any game. It also allows them to fully control the second hand market which seems to be of big interest to game manufacturers these days.

Not that I've ever owned a games console myself, and looking less and less likely to in the future.

XswampyX
06-07-2013, 05:11 PM
It's not looking too good is it?

People pay 40-50 per game knowing that in a couple of weeks it will still be worth say 20. Take that away, and the sales of new games will tank. They want us to live in a renters world where we don't own anything and have to pay every month for the right to use our own software and hardware. The only game in town is people farming.

Not too surprising really as we have extracted/killed most of the other resources. Welcome to HELL! :devil:

lazyanimator
06-08-2013, 05:14 AM
I think it's practically Orwellian! George Orwell got it almost all right except he didn't realise that we would actually pay for the privilege of being tracked and spied on! Voluntarily allowing cameras in our living rooms connected to lord knows what. Halo 4 was enough to make me fall out of love with Xbox anyway... Not to mention crysis 3....

LA.

safetyman
06-08-2013, 06:19 AM
The simple fact that you can't play 360 games on the thing is enough to turn most people off. Not very forward-thinking on Microsoft's part. I'll stick with PC games.

dsol
06-08-2013, 08:44 AM
People pay 40-50 per game knowing that in a couple of weeks it will still be worth say 20. Take that away, and the sales of new games will tank.

To be honest, I'd be happy to see the second-hand market die, so long as they brought game prices down to more realistic levels. If you could buy games new for 20, wouldn't that be preferable? Don't forget that game developers don't make *any* money from secondary sales. Games are too expensive, yes - but second-hand sales don't help the market in the long term.

*edit* plus, MS have already said they're setting up a system to enable transferring licenses (game ownership) between Xbone owners.

Though, like others, I'm already much more interested in the PS4 - so long as Sony don't screw it up! I *really* hope the hard disk is user-replaceable like the PS3 - one of my favourite features :)

GandB
06-08-2013, 09:26 AM
If I get anything console-wise in the near future, it'll be a PS4. I'm quite happy with my PC games, and I still have a N-64, Sega DreamCast, PS2, GameCube and Wii. Along with many accessories and games for each. I think this move, combined with some general dislike of M$ and their business practices; will seriously degrade their portfolio, and feed customers to competitors. It's called evolution, I suppose.

BigHache
06-08-2013, 01:27 PM
To be honest, I'd be happy to see the second-hand market die, so long as they brought game prices down to more realistic levels. If you could buy games new for 20, wouldn't that be preferable?

I really don't see that happening though. The industry has made $60 the acceptable price of a new game and there's no reason for them to reduce it at this time.

Riff_Masteroff
06-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Also, please note that MS cloud servers are directly connected to US NSA (National Security Agency). Most likely, all of the data, in its entirety is provided to an agency of the executive branch. The judicial branch is by
passed - no search warrants required. No authorization of any sort needed to access. According to today's (Saturday) local newspaper (The Washington Post), the legislative branch is mostly supportive of the arrangement (Republicans & Democrats).

What was Top Secret to me on Thursday is not so on Friday. Early Friday morning I retrieved The Washington Post newspaper from the sidewalk and printed within are four (MS Powerpoint?) slides. These are said to be training materials, mere talking points. Each slide is clearly labeled 'Top Secret' on the bottom right and on the top left is the NSA logo.

Anyone else here irritated?

Megalodon2.0
06-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Interesting that these "Providers" (Google, Facebook, MS, etc.) deny handing over this information.

I'm not sure entirely where I stand on this issue. Of course at this moment I don't know all of the facts. Something tells me that once I do, I won't like it AT ALL.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses and where this goes. It's important to note that this is only a continuation (and probably increase) of GWB policies implemented post 9-11. And once politicians have the power, they are all the more reluctant to give it up.

JonW
06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Also, please note that MS cloud servers are directly connected to US NSA (National Security Agency). Most likely, all of the data, in its entirety is provided to an agency of the executive branch.

They will keep an eye on how well you blow things up in games! If you are too keen you may get a knock on the door!

A long long time ago as a kid! A friend made rockets (it was all the rage back then, even all the playgrounds had 4 story rockets for kids), he was also very interested in chemistry and made all sorts of things with house hold products! It was very safety done and was fun for a lot of people.

It's really sad that you can't do any of this in this day and ago. All you get to do is play a game on a lousy monitor today, and now you do that at your own detriment!

cagey5
06-08-2013, 04:52 PM

More than irritated.

Verlon
06-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Well, for everyone going to the PS4, I can only say "because Sony is such a benevolent, customer supporting company, right?"

Drop "Sony Rootkit" into your favorite search engine and read how Sony, in a move to protect their IP and keep you from ripping CDs, installed some clever spyware on their customers' computers that reported on all their listening habits. Said spyware was created using stolen code, interestingly enough. So defending the rights of IP owners wasn't big on their agenda.

Oh, and Sony has been big on anti-used market for some time. So do not count on them to get it right either.

It looks like my next console wil be my current console, or maybe that android thing MadCatz is working on.

Ernest
06-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Well, for everyone going to the PS4, I can only say "because Sony is such a benevolent, customer supporting company, right?"

Yes, but for sunny, optimistic people like me, all that stuff was done under Howard Stringer and the company is now back under Japanese control. The first statements of the new regime have been very encouraging. When asked if they'd have a similar always on Internet check, their answer was something like, "Eh? Why would we want to do that?"

However, talk is cheap and the proof is in the pudding (mmmm pudding) and that pudding should be revealed in just 22 more hours.

shrox
06-09-2013, 10:30 PM
They will keep an eye on how well you blow things up in games! If you are too keen you may get a knock on the door!

A long long time ago as a kid! A friend made rockets (it was all the rage back then, even all the playgrounds had 4 story rockets for kids), he was also very interested in chemistry and made all sorts of things with house hold products! It was very safety done and was fun for a lot of people.

It's really sad that you can't do any of this in this day and ago. All you get to do is play a game on a lousy monitor today, and now you do that at your own detriment!

Next month I am starting a Kickstarter project for my model rocket company. Here is a first cut of the video I am doing for it. I have worked for the top three model rocket and toy companies as a designer, I think I can do this.

I am trying to get permission for the music, if not, I'll have to find something else or have something composed.

The point is, go outside and fly a rocket!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjWHBSTQon0

These are about 1/10 of the rockets I have designed:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/shrox-designs.html

GandB
06-09-2013, 11:19 PM
That's actually pretty cool Shrox. ;)

erikals
06-10-2013, 03:54 AM
Also, please note that MS cloud servers are directly connected to US NSA (National Security Agency). Most likely, all of the data, in its entirety is provided to an agency of the executive branch. The judicial branch is by
passed - no search warrants required. No authorization of any sort needed to access. According to today's (Saturday) local newspaper (The Washington Post), the legislative branch is mostly supportive of the arrangement (Republicans & Democrats).

What was Top Secret to me on Thursday is not so on Friday. Early Friday morning I retrieved The Washington Post newspaper from the sidewalk and printed within are four (MS Powerpoint?) slides. These are said to be training materials, mere talking points. Each slide is clearly labeled 'Top Secret' on the bottom right and on the top left is the NSA logo.

i had a feeling this was so.

the sad fact though, is that now that people know (they were going to know sooner or later anyway) more programs will be made that use encrypted software. (skype alternatives, etc, impossible for NSA to hack, also more proxy servers)

coders, tired of being surveillanced, will make software that NSA can't track.

this will make it impossible for NSA to track terrorists.
NSA just shot themselves in the foot, and us too...

yes, irritated, but i saw it coming... :/

----------------

hey, maybe it's time to jump back to snail-mail... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

erikals
06-10-2013, 04:13 AM
another interesting fact >

...We collect more digital communications from America than we do from the Russians.

so, don't think NSA doesn't track you, weather you live in Norway, Germany, Africa, Europe, Asia... -anywhere!

dsol
06-10-2013, 04:26 AM
i had a feeling this was so.

the sad fact though, is that now that people know (they were going to know sooner or later anyway) more programs will be made that use encrypted software. (skype alternatives, etc, impossible for NSA to hack, also more proxy servers)

coders, tired of being surveillanced, will make software that NSA can't track.

this will make it impossible for NSA to track terrorists.
NSA just shot themselves in the foot, and us too...

I'm pretty sure that terrorists and criminals who aren't complete idiots already use TOR for all their internet communication. Though as we've seen with recent news stories in Boston and Woolwich, idiots can still do a lot of damage :(

erikals
06-10-2013, 04:31 AM
exactly, the problem is now it will escalate, and you won't be able to catch the idiot-terrorists any longer.
(what actually makes a terrorist is up to each and all and the NSA to decide btw...)

NSA got greedy, trying to play God, and that's never a good thing, as the effect can counter-react / defy it's own purpose.

shrox
06-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Kids need to be doing things that strengthen their vision too, like throwing a ball. The eye changes focus as it tracks the ball, rather than staring at the same plane 2 to 6 feet away.

I haven't played a video game in over five years. I really am kind of creeped out by Kinect watching me and analyzing me.

Going outside to play can't be tracked through your email.

erikals
06-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Going outside to play can't be tracked through your email.

but it can be tracked :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_satellite

shrox
06-10-2013, 12:29 PM
but it can be tracked :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_satellite

Everyone can carry a black umbrella. It would be kind of gothic.

erikals
06-10-2013, 01:12 PM
but i do...

shrox
06-10-2013, 01:14 PM
but i do...

You are always cutting edge.

erikals
06-10-2013, 01:30 PM
thanks, but no, i try to use the knife tool, cut edge... > but nothing, not even an error message.

cresshead
06-10-2013, 01:33 PM
rrp $499

http://reviews.cnet.com/microsoft-xbox-one/

shrox
06-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Eventually (if not already) XBox will be able to read your lips.

Davewriter
06-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Where I get confused is that the NSA is supposed to be listening "only" to communications that have at least one leg outside the US. So what is up with all the inside/inside the US stuff?
I mean I get it - other agencies can do it... but the NSA and CIA are only chartered for "outside" work.
Oh... there's the bell. Some nice men in black sunglasses are at the doo.........

Snosrap
06-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Wow! I thought I would buy one right away, but at $499 I think I'll wait and see how it plays out. It could end up being a massive dud. At $499 it should at least have 12gigs of ram and a 1TB hardrive. :)

shrox
06-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Wow! I thought I would buy one right away, but at $499 I think I'll wait and see how it plays out. It could end up being a massive dud. At $499 it should at least have 12gigs of ram and a 1TB hardrive. :)

And FTL.

GandB
06-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Getting a PS4 instead.

m4a2000
06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
And this is why I play Nintendo.

shrox
06-17-2013, 07:30 PM
I play solitaire.

Hail
06-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Looks like MS is backtracking its decision to go cloud with the Xbox one and the awkward policy on used games
http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

probiner
06-19-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm an FPS guys and consoles don't make sense to me. I just wish the console market design stopped messing around with my shooters. I want to lean again :D

Anyway, why wouldn't ppl by into a console by day, home-surveillance by night system is beyond me :D

Snosrap
06-19-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm an FPS guys and consoles don't make sense to me. I just wish the console market design stopped messing around with my shooters. I want to lean again :D

Anyway, why wouldn't ppl by into a console by day, home-surveillance by night system is beyond me :D I played a lot of games on my Amiga and now on Xbox but only a few on my PC. The reason I think is simplicity. The few games I installed and ran on my PC all had install and configurations issues etc.. Consoles are plug and play and the developers have only one set configurations to deal with. I love FPS games on XBox - the controller is awesome, plus with all boxes being equal on-line gaming seems much more fair.