PDA

View Full Version : Colored outline appears in all my sequential renders

Callistus
06-05-2013, 09:08 AM
My goal is to render out an animation(using sequential images), overlay the images on top of video footage in final cut and export the final result. Unfortunately every time i render out this image, it contains a colored outline. The color of this outline can be controlled by changing the background color of the scene. This was never an issue for me in LW9.6, but now happens constantly. Not sure what i may be overlooking.

I do not want an outline of any kind, but i do want a smooth anti aliased edge.

Also, the shadow on the ground has a large amount of white in it for some reason. With a Black background its clearly there, yet on a lighter background it looks like a muted shadow.

for the love of all things Newy & Techy, please help.

2011 imac, 4Gs ramm / core i5 / AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB. Rendering out to PNG32 files.

raw-m
06-05-2013, 01:58 PM
I always render anything with alphas out as "straight" or "unmatted". You'll find it in the Render Output window, give that a whirl first.

Callistus
06-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Hey thanks for helping me out. I dont see straight or unmatted anywhere in the render output tab. Could you be more specific about its location?

raw-m
06-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Yes, sorry, LW isn't in front of me right now! Check out you're double post on this as I saw a more accurate response!

Callistus
06-05-2013, 03:29 PM
No prob, thanks

Callistus
06-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Ok so i changed the setting to Unpremultiply(in render globals) and it got rid of the main outline issue. Now..... using unpremultiply has cause a new issue. I have been using a shadow catcher on a ground plane inorder to get the floor shadow, and after turning on Unpremultiply, the ground plane becomes visible(only in the preview window) and adds wierd artifacts that look like LOTR elvish writing. When the file is saved out (PNG32) it contains an outline much like before but only where the model and the ground plane overlap.

Does any know a way around this new issue that lets me keep the shadow catcher? I really need some help on this, as i ve tried everything i can thing of.

Callistus
06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
This is how it looks in the preview render window.

The other image is how the PNG render looks with a black and grey background added in photoshop.

JoePoe
06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Followed you over here just to say that posting a scene folder would help people dig in to what's going on.
(even if you chop it down to a few frames for proprietary reasons).

I'm on 9.6, so I'm afraid I can not trouble shoot specifics.....
Nevertheless, have you tried bringing in a simple no texture object to see if you get the same result. Could help focus you in the right direction, object vs scene.

Callistus
06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Alright, here is my scene. It's in LW11.5

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0GFgFw4u0O8UnV6YWJEa0Zsb0k&usp=sharing

you may have to turn on the shadow catcher material.For some reason everything i load the scene i must re-turn on my shadow catcher, even though i saved it while it was "on". Not sure if thats a bug or a product of something i did along the way.

HELP,

JoePoe
06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Okay, one last stab while you wait for 11.5'ers.

Uncheck exclude from Vstack for both object and ground plane.
(at least they were on when I opened in 9.6)

Callistus
06-06-2013, 08:41 PM
alrighty then, i tried the Vstack option but there was no change. then i tried every combination of on/off with Vstack that i could come up with and still no change.

I then just simply changed the background color of the scene to black and it seems as if it fixed it. Unpremultiply and a black background look like the fix.
I've been fighting with this issue for so long that it seems too good to be true.

dwburman
06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Try saving to TGA or some other image format with an alpha. It might be a Mac thing, but I've seen a gray background get added on .png files.

Typically I render with a black background premultiplied and then interpret the footage as Premultiplied in AE (and Final Cut Pro pre X).

Callistus
06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
It still looks crazy and broken in the render window, but when its saved to a PNG it look proper.

Thanks joepoe for helping me work though this and thanks Tobian for the "unpremultiply" tip.

I owe you guys a beer.

Callistus
06-06-2013, 09:04 PM
@ dwburman
I was adding the gray and black backgrounds you see in the images in photoshop. Thats where the "outline" issue was visible( as well as in final cut pro). I tried using premultiply before and that seems to be the cause of the outline issue i was having. Then tobian suggested using "un-premultiply which was fixed it. That and setting the backdrop color in scene to black. Any other color resulted in a "outline" appearing where the ground plane and object overlapped.

Sorry if that was an unnecessary summary of events for you, im just syked that theres a light at the end of this long tunnel i've been in.

JoePoe
06-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Heyyyy! :bday: !!

I'm glad u've got it to a spot where you can work with it. (that preview is still....odd).

Ahhh the white background. Saw that here was no radiosity but didn't check the ambient intensity!! ;D
I had a feeling it was going to be something .... :foreheads.

On a side note, I'm wondering if there is an inherent problem opening 11.5 scenes in 9.6. Apart from the obvious stuff i.e. AA, AS, ....etc.
BECAUSE... (see attached) when I view your scene the ground plane seems to have dimension (and the Y dimension checks out at 1). Weird. Not that way in Modeler.

Maybe that's an issue maybe not...... but, working is working :D.

dwburman
06-06-2013, 09:20 PM
If you use premultiply in LightWave, but don't interpret the footage as premultiplied in AE or FCP, it will have an edge on it in the color of the background. Premultiplied has to be set in both apps.

Using unpremultiplied is a perfectly acceptible workflow, and I'm glad things are working for you. :D

Callistus
06-07-2013, 07:27 AM
On a side note, I'm wondering if there is an inherent problem opening 11.5 scenes in 9.6. Apart from the obvious stuff i.e. AA, AS, ....etc.
BECAUSE... (see attached) when I view your scene the ground plane seems to have dimension (and the Y dimension checks out at 1). Weird. Not that way in Modeler. .

Yea that seems like a backward compatability issue(hopefully), but thanks again for the help, I'm almost reluctant to celebrate yet. I feel like something new is going to derail this projects (-_-)

Callistus
06-07-2013, 07:33 AM
If you use premultiply in LightWave, but don't interpret the footage as premultiplied in AE or FCP, it will have an edge on it in the color of the background. Premultiplied has to be set in both apps.

I never knew about premultiply in AE & FCP...... i will play around with that as well. Great info!