PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Movie

SamuraiSlayer
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
I have a dream, that one day...

Ok, well maybe not like that.

Here's my idea... In these lightwave forums we have such great modelers, animators, and ideas. That's why I would like to start a community movie project. With animation kinda like "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within". Someone good at modeling a human, model it, send it to one of our animators. Someone else thats good at modeling cars, model it, send it to one of our animators. Of course before we start we need an idea for the basis of the movie, a script, all of that. And we will need SFX and voices, anyone care to elaborate? Just a quick idea. Well...

meshmaster
11-10-2003, 03:00 PM
these sort of ideas seem to be flying through lots of forums these days. Anyways, it is a good idea, and I think lightwave user specific movie would be cool... the thing is finding a good story to go with. Personally, I think that a remake of an ancient text would be cool... Greek drama, Gilgamesh, Early Christian non-biblical text (Forgotten Books of the Bible, etc), Shakespeare, etc. would work best since the text is ready-made, accessible to almost anyone, there are no copyright issues involved since it's in public domain, and the story is great since it's lasted this long. Recently something similar was started over at 3d buzz with War of the Worlds.

SamuraiSlayer
11-10-2003, 03:10 PM
...I was at first thinking of something like an action movie sort of thing with matrix-ish type effects but then i started thinking of a movie, like you said, that would be kind of... well very, ancient. It would express the texturing capabilities very well because in those times there was a lot of dirt paths, trees, open landscapes, etc

I really think that this could turn into something if people put their minds to it

Vision1
11-10-2003, 03:23 PM
hmmm very very nice idea. some horror movie would be great :P

action films hmmm:

matrix 1: cool nice story line cool effects :)

Matrix 2: bad story and to much focused on the special fx

Matrix 3:don't know yet

Terminator 1: cool nice film and story line

Terminator 2:even better

Terminator 3:bad story but great special fx

StereoMike
11-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Sounds fun :)

Seems, that every kind of forum sooner or later wants to start a project to make it's members immortal.

I've seen a few of this movie-ideas (or think of lots of game-mods), everyone was happy about it and wanted to contribute, but then it got out of focus and the idea died.

So I think it's not a matter of creativity, power, speed or somewhat- the forum is full of ideas and artists.

The problem is to get it done to the end.

Solutions anyone?

Issue: How to get people stuck on a fun project though they have RL, wife, work, school, friends, problems, other projects etc...

This project must be something to be proud of, something you can even be proud of in it's development state.

people have to talk about it.

go big or go home.

dwburman
11-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Heck, I've seen some high quality, entertaining, visually stunning TV commercials that tell a story. Something short can (theoretically) be accomplished quicker and therefore have less time to lose it's freshness. It could be used as a test/primer for a larger project as well.

riki
11-10-2003, 09:11 PM
If your interested, get a team together and sign up for this http://www.madeinaweekend.com/ I think Lee from Newtek is one of the organisers.

Shade01
11-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Community projects always sound like a good idea, but these things almost never work out. When you do it that way, things have to be extremely organized and everyone has to be commited. When you've got this guy over here waiting for that guy over there that's when things start to fall apart.

Vision1
11-11-2003, 05:53 AM
Use ICQ or MSN to communicate :D

faulknermano
11-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Shade01
Community projects always sound like a good idea, but these things almost never work out. When you do it that way, things have to be extremely organized and everyone has to be commited. When you've got this guy over here waiting for that guy over there that's when things start to fall apart.

aint that right. :)

how about newtek organizing it and writing up the script? :p

meshmaster
11-11-2003, 08:42 AM
I've tried to be on several teams making movies/mods/etc. and they all failed due to not having entire story ready prior to getting team together, having tons of folks sign up and only one or two do any work, or due to total lack of organization... chats are helpful, but I find that most of the time, unless you have scheduled meetings for x amount of time and have an agenda for the meeting to talk about y for z amount of time in x amount of time that the meeting happens, you get a lot of talk about a lot of stuff, but it's all just ramble and bramble, and usually the chats end up hogging all the project time that could have been used to be actually working on stuff to put in the movie, etc... You think, whoever and so and so is on so I need to chat with them... and end up burning the time that you allocated to work on the movie in discussions instead of in modelling and animating. I do think that such a project is possible, and I do think that it could be a great success, but it has to be planned out right, and I think that using an ancient text like one of those I mentioned earlier helps since it's a readymade story - no need to find a writer who joins the project for 3 weeks, quits, and takes that copyright to the story with him/her....

I will say that a good animation of Greek Plays is something that I'm interested in doing eventually, and that I'd really like to find the really to Prometheus the Firebearer trilogy sometime, but I've never found the entire trilogy since only the first play is known and the second and third are lost... I've heard/read that the other two parts are out and about in pieces somewhere, but I can't find em online yet.

archiea
11-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Story Story Story.....

We have plenty of talent here for the execution. Problem is getting a story...

perhaps we should start a thread on story... You have to explain your story in 100 words or something... then we vote...

If we get that far, I'd be impressed....

For inspiration on how a good story cna help a grass roots project, rent "Voices of a distant star"... very sweet story...

the guy who wins the vote for story gets first dibs on "directing"... Trust me... thats one area where a commitee would mess it up.... just look at most hollywood movies...

In fat, we should use the voting process to decide on who gets to design and do modeling, etc... post designs as specified by teh "director" in a thread and have the team vote on who they like the best. Then the director picks.....

what do ya think?

meshmaster
11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Also, another issue is voice. I have Magix Music Video Maker and a couple of cheap mics hooked up to an ancient preamplifier that I found at a pawn shop a few weeks back that act as a sort of preamplifier to get two mics going in to one sound card along with a third mic hooked to a head gear mic/phones thing (that gives a lot of sour, screechy feedback so I don't use it much) with a y connector hooked in with the other output device... but all of that combined makes very poor quality sound recording studio. If you want good movie quality stuff, with voice over you need good recording studio... anybody know where to get that sort of gear for cheap? I haven't found a descent gear for that sort of thing yet.... anyone have access to that sort of thing or know where to get it? For story, the Greek Plays, Beowulf, or Gilgamesh have my vote for now until someone comes up with something better. Remake of Shakespeare doesn't sound too good since there's sooo many remakes of that sort of material out already.... I do have a sci-fi story that I'm working on a movie with another guy but it's sort of on the backburner for now, and probably wouldn't fit in with this sort of project....

SamuraiSlayer
11-11-2003, 06:27 PM
huh huh, WOW!! An idea off the top of my head and... already 12 replies in 1 day, please consider that this is a lot for me since I have just joined the forums. Well, someone has to hang up the 'start' banner so we can at least see the 'finish' line. So... ok someone get me a script. Blunt, but, its a start, actually we might have to move back a little bit and get an idea of what the movie is going to be about. Okay, new paragraph...

Meshmaster: Yes, I mentioned how voice may be a big problem, not only finding the right equipment to record the audio, but also matching the audio to the face and matching both the audio and the face to the purpose and dramatism of the words. (WARNING: hint coming on that some people might not catch on to) I'm sure that someone (hint hint) in the Lightwave community might have some good audio equipment. It would be up to that person (or people) to find the voices to put the mike up to. I think the real problem is that we keep relying on someone to come up with an answer when we should just do it ourself... I'm going to search around the internet for movie ideas.

My 2-hour-delayed reply is starting to get depressing, at least to me, so cya later

SamuraiSlayer
11-11-2003, 06:29 PM
oh yea, another idea, a newtek communicator??

just... nevermind

KillMe
11-11-2003, 07:35 PM
how about beowulf, always thought that would make a goodish animation

SamuraiSlayer
11-12-2003, 06:59 AM
beowulf, hmmm...

You know what my favorite animated movie is???

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

I keep coming back to thinking that it would be best to have a movie set in present time... or even better, the future

YEAH, the FUTURE

faulknermano
11-12-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by archiea
Story Story Story.....

We have plenty of talent here for the execution. Problem is getting a story...

perhaps we should start a thread on story... You have to explain your story in 100 words or something... then we vote...

If we get that far, I'd be impressed....

For inspiration on how a good story cna help a grass roots project, rent "Voices of a distant star"... very sweet story...

the guy who wins the vote for story gets first dibs on "directing"... Trust me... thats one area where a commitee would mess it up.... just look at most hollywood movies...

In fat, we should use the voting process to decide on who gets to design and do modeling, etc... post designs as specified by teh "director" in a thread and have the team vote on who they like the best. Then the director picks.....

what do ya think?

i think we should start with something general. we have to pick a 'genre.' this is because the people here have VARIED tastes. they're not your next-door friends or coworkers.

once the genre is decided, and if there are sub-genre's for that and they are decided as well, then that 100-word synopsis would be great. but there has to be a dictator calling the shots and no buts.

but i am not sure if can agree with archie who becomes the director, but that is only to say that i do not know.

if i were to vote something now i'd probably go with philosphical science fiction (e.g. out of the silent planet). :)

mattbolton
11-12-2003, 07:20 AM
BTW, faulknermano, that Space Trilogy is great, but maybe a little too deep and involved for a short film.

meshmaster
11-12-2003, 08:05 AM
http://www.bartleby.com/fiction/ is a very good resource. Bartleby has lots of public domain books. I usually just use the grays anatomy, but they do have some of the ancient stories/poems, etc.

hunter
11-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Why not start small and see if you can get everyone to work together. Do just a chapter from a book say, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. :) Now that I could get behind.

SamuraiSlayer
11-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by hunter
Why not start small and see if you can get everyone to work together. Do just a chapter from a book say, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. :) Now that I could get behind.

thanks Hunter, I took your advice, I wrote up a script, it's called time, its a movie thing that might last 5 minutes, wordpad format .rtf, winzipped, attached below, it's for anyone working with me on this

meshmaster
11-14-2003, 09:15 AM
I think it'd be cool to start on that, and then build up to something more... I really think that collaborations like this are something that should be done more often.

SamuraiSlayer
11-14-2003, 09:28 AM
thanks meshmaster, it's just something i threw together at 2:00 in the morning, now we need models for it, a model of "Diego" (i got that off a baby name website, had to get a name from somewhere) a model also for his car, a hallway, bed, telephone, all that... whose gonna be our modelors??

faulknermano
11-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by SamuraiSlayer
thanks meshmaster, it's just something i threw together at 2:00 in the morning, now we need models for it, a model of "Diego" (i got that off a baby name website, had to get a name from somewhere) a model also for his car, a hallway, bed, telephone, all that... whose gonna be our modelors??

who are the concept artist? :)

SamuraiSlayer
11-14-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by faulknermano
who are the concept artist? :)

you wanna be one? doesnt really matter, this is just to see if we can all pull together

StereoMike
11-17-2003, 04:37 AM
Any deadlines, milestones? i know, "when it's done", but do you have a date in mind for the final version?
is it a project with lots of time, or in a rush?

what kind of style is needed for the models?
what's the look of the animation? toon or photorealistic, futuristic or retro, color or bw?

@hunter: for the hitchhiker's idea i would prefer the chapter with the whale falling down to the planet, could laugh my a** of on this. This chapter has everything: human characters, a whale, missiles, a space-ship looking like a shoe, nice and wide space scenes, indoor sequences (inside the heart of gold), the free fall of the whale through clouds downward to an impressive planet and a petuniaplant. love it!

Gary Cook
11-17-2003, 09:39 AM
I have a story itís called, Children of the ninth sun. itís a space story. That Iíve wanted to do for about 15 years now. I started back in truespace but never went very far with working on it. but with the software we have now the skis are no longer the limit !!
THE STORY has at leased two space stations in, it worm whole, explosions, laser fights, spaceshipís and spyís and more! I know this sounds like every space move that been made but. will I guest that remains to seen? If their more interest in the store let me know.

Gary Cook

meshmaster
11-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I think that there's plenty of material to go around. I like the idea of collaborating with others to do this sort of stuff. Gary, is your story in a play format or a novel format? If it's in a play script form, then cool, if not, could you convert it over to that. There is a special format for that that directors use, and that style is very nice to work with on projects like this since it's easier to tell who's saying what and what is hapenning when, etc.

Gary Cook
11-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Hi Meshmaster

Will no itís in grey mater format  but itís in their. I should have read more of the posts about material.iím still interested in doing something

Thanks
Gary Cook

SamuraiSlayer
11-17-2003, 01:24 PM
you can get an idea of what a script looks like by finding a movie script at "www.simplyscripts.com"

Originally posted by StereoMikewhat's the look of the animation? toon or photorealistic, futuristic or retro, color or bw?

I was thinking it would be neat to have it set a little bit in the future, maybe far enough to have hovercrafts, yes photoreal, and in color, but not very much saturation

what i think would be nice to see is if some people would try their own animation, maybe only one scene, sound or no sound, hi res or no hi res...