PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if you can meta link an object that has bullet dynamics applied?

jboudreau
06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi Guys

Are you able to meta link an object to a curve or 2 point polychain that
has bullet dynamics applied.

I used cloth fx with a curve or 2 point poly chain and then meta linked the object and it worked pretty well but bullet dynamics are so much better so wondering if the same thing can be done using
bullet dynamics instead of clothFX

Thanks,
Jason

Dodgy
06-04-2013, 11:59 PM
There's a metalink node in 11.5 or you could scan the bullet motion using clothFX and use the normal metalink with that.

Netvudu
06-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Indeed. What Dodgy said. Use the metalink node (donīt parent. Itīs not needed for the node version).

jboudreau
06-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks Guys

Scanning the bullet motion using clothFX worked but the metalink node didn't not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong. I made a 2 point poly chain, added bullet dynamics to it. Created a long cylinder with many segments and applied meta link node to it linking the poly chain layer in the node editor. Activated the node and nothing happens the long cylinder object just stays in place.

Do you know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jason

Netvudu
06-05-2013, 12:52 PM
well, it works here...could you up your content for us to take a look?

jboudreau
06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
well, it works here...could you up your content for us to take a look?

Hi

I'm having some issues with Bullet Dynamics not reacting to curves so this could be why the meta link is not working. These are just tests I'm doing but I can post the files if you want

This is my problem

I am working with bullet and curves. I created a curve in modeler and when I
apply bullet dynamics deforming body and set the mass distribution to
vertices and mass specification to density nothing happens. It doesen't get
effeted by bullet dynamics.

Now when I take one of the curves from the twisted hair object in the 11.5
content and apply the same setting with bullet dynamics it works perfectly.

Why is it not working when I create the curve in modeler. Is the twisted hair object not a curve but a strand instead?

Thanks,
Jason

Ztreem
06-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Dynamics in LW doesn't work with curves. You have to use a two point poly chain instead. Easiest way to do a two point poly chain is to make a plane in modeler that has for example 1 segment in x & z and 10 in y. now select all points on one of the sides on the y axis and hit delete. Now you should only have line of two point polys. I hope this make sense...

jboudreau
06-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Dynamics in LW doesn't work with curves. You have to use a two point poly chain instead. Easiest way to do a two point poly chain is to make a plane in modeler that has for example 1 segment in x & z and 10 in y. now select all points on one of the sides on the y axis and hit delete. Now you should only have line of two point polys. I hope this make sense...

Hi

Thanks for the reply. That's not exactly true. You can use Dynamics with curves, I'm doing some tests at the moment. What I ran into is sometimes if the curve is not responding to Bullet Dynamics you have to create 2 curves by copying the first curve and pasting it on top of the other then merge points. You will be left with 2 polygon curve

Now bring it into layout and apply dynamics to it make sure the Mass Distribution is set to Vertices and the Mass Specification is set to Density

You can use either of these settings

Mass Distribution = Vertices
Mass Specification = Density

Mass Distribution = Solid
Mass Specification = Given Mass

Mass Distribution = Surface

Mass Distribution = Vertices

You can't use a Mass Distribution setting of Solid or Surface with a Mass Specification setting of Density

Thanks,
Jason