PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly/ masking trouble...

CWinn
06-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi guys, I'm trying to do a trick with my dragonfly. I have this splattered white texture on it's back and I want to make it iridescent. I figured I would do that with a gradient and mask off the area that I want the iridescence to be placed, but I'm having trouble figuring that out. I tried to use to carpaint node because it allows me to change the color of the specularity channel and apply the gradient there. And I thought I could mask it by plugging in the gradient to my black and white mask and then plug into the spec color channel, right? But it won't mask. Any insight GREATLY appreciated!

bazsa73
06-04-2013, 02:23 PM
try this, (I'm not sure if you wanted this effect or not)

CWinn
06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Thank you for that! But my real problem is masking the effect so that it will only show up in the white textured area on the back of the dragonfly.

pinkmouse
06-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Have you tried the material mixer node? Use a standard material, set up as per your existing texture, as one input, carpaint as your other, and use your mask as the alpha input. I think that should give you what you want.

edit: Just tried it - used a procedural instead of your mask as it was quicker, but the principle should be the same.

CWinn
06-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Your setup works perfectly! However! :) I still can't swap my black and white image for the dots that you used as a mask. I really thought it was that easy but I'm still scratching my head.

CWinn
06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I did it! My uh.......my image didn't have an alpha :) Thanks for the help!

pinkmouse
06-06-2013, 12:46 AM
No problem! Nice model BTW, any chance of a wireframe?

CWinn
06-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Here goes! First 3 are wireframes and I've included a couple to show how I did the wings. I modeled the larger veins of the wings and used a normal map for the rest of the veins and cells in the wing. And of course a transparency map to make the cells transparent.