PDA

View Full Version : layer manager

fudeforthot
11-10-2003, 02:34 PM
I am a civil engineer by profession, so I use a lot of Autocad. In LW 7.5, the use of layers in modeling is very useful, but its power is not fully harnessable because the layer UI is very poor. If you take a look at autocads layer manager, it is much more powerful. Is layer manager exists in two entities. The first is a window that allows you to access layer information, such as the layers name, color, and various other attributes. The second entity is a pull down menu that lets you switch the layer you are on and turn off layers. It would be really nice to have more control over layers!!! Imagine how nice it would be to be able to keep track of your layers by their name, and color rather than by its location on a bunch of squares. There could be an opengl layer shade mode, where each layer is distinguished by its color. This would be very helpful for mechanical parts modeling, which, unfortunately, LW is somewhat weak on. In any event, stronger layer control would streamline and organize modeling tremendously. Anyway, that was my 2 cents worth.

john delaney

Maxx
11-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Have you opened your Layer window? It sounds pretty close to the AutoCAD window you describe (never worked with AutoCAD, so I can't be sure) - you can manage layers by name and set up parenting hiearchies through this window. No color coding that I've found, but the names bit is rather Photoshop-like. I know I've got it opened on my second monitor at all times, and it's gotten to the point that I don't use the boxes any more. There's also som layer management plug-ins on Flay that I've assigned to hot keys that allow foreground and background layer navigation via the keyboard. I've got 'em mapped to my left and right angle bracket keys - couldn't model without 'em!

fudeforthot
11-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Well, I'll be dumbstruck!!! Didn't know that it existed.

Moderator can delete this thread if needed.

John Delaney

Maxx
11-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Don't you hate it when things like that just slip right under the radar? :D Anyway - here's the layer utility plug page from flay - you might want to check them out.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1405

Like I said - I personally can't do without anymore...