PDA

View Full Version : why should i not buy a compaq?

jerwood
03-04-2003, 12:31 PM
i work at a university in the video production department and we have a toaster system. we want to upgrade the system, but purchasing says that we HAVE to buy a compaq. We want to buy a system that we know will work with our toaster from our newtek dealer, but we can't find enough evidence to convince them that we need to buy from our dealer.

can anyone tell me why compaqs are not good for a toaster?

can anyone tell me of some problems that they have experienced with compaqs, dells, or gateways?

i would really apprecciate it.

jer wood

SBowie
03-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by jerwood
We want to buy a system that we know will work with our toaster from our newtek dealer, but we can't find enough evidence to convince them that we need to buy from our dealer.

Snip...

can anyone tell me why compaqs are not good for a toaster?
jer wood
It's hard to be specific, since referring to a "Compaq" is a bit like referring to a "Chev" -- as in, why can't I drop a 426 hemi in my Impala? I suppose you could, but I'd hate to have to support it...

Perhaps they have a contract that requires them to buy systems from a particular supplier. Fact is, it might well be possible to base a functional Toaster system on a Compaq ... but there are scores of models and configurations, as well as potential for conflicts. The problem is that if they go that route there are no guarantees (in fact it's quite unlikely) that the supplier will have Clue #1 about the Toaster's particular requirements -- hardware, software and configuration. If you have a turnkey T[2] system, you will get your after-sale support from someone who won't be saying "the whole trouble is that this system isn't suited to a Toaster."

There are all manner of little 'gotchas', so I hope there's some way to convince them that a turnkey system is what you need.

JReble
03-04-2003, 01:44 PM
I can run off a score of reasons you wouldn't want to even try to utilize a compaq for a Toaster host or much of any other video editing application, but the biggest word that comes to mind is "proprietary". Compaq is notorious for using their own "special" brand of components and designs in many if not all of their computers, especially the ones that are on GSA schedules and available at bargain prices. I would not consider moving to that as a platform an "upgrade".

My advice...look into purchasing a new entire turnkey Toaster system from your dealer. Then for purchasing & bookeeping reasons, the item in question would be a digital video editor. If you're working with a good dealer, they should be able to assemble your entire host system for you and put in your old T2 card. Alternately, you could see if your dealer would take your existing system in trade and deduct that from the cost of the new system. Or you could just swap your Toaster card for the new one when your new system arrives. Just never let one of your typical Network I.T. people within 12 feet of your digital video editing system. Sometimes ya gotta think creatively to do things right, rather than the way things are supposed to be done. :)

jcupp
03-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Give us a call we can sell you a "processor upgrade" or the like for your current "Video Editor". No one in purchasing will ever need to know that it is actually a computer. This way you can get a system that you know will work with the Toaster (and it will probably be cheaper than a Compaq). Your local dealer can probably do this also. But if not I'll call the thing anything you want.

This is a common issue with large organizations that can't get their collective minds around the fact that some people need to do more complicated things with a computer than run MS Word.

-Jeff
Digital Arts

DigitalArts.tv
1-800-692-6442
[email protected]

Faraz
03-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Ditto. What he said, I've had to do this one too many times.

lwaddict
03-12-2003, 01:55 PM
I've been having the same issue here.

The managers love what they've seen from my home system
and want me to setup shop here as well.

But upper management has a list of what you can buy, all neatly categorized for you.

Try this...so far this is working but I won't know until the CER gets signed...

Tell em that it's a video editing solution...NOT a PC!

As stated by someone else on this thread already,
it's about verbage and nothing else. I mean really,
if they're too ignorant to open to doing the right thing...
then they're probably to ignorant to catch on to this trick eh?
Note: Get a fancy black case! Something that stands apart from
the other PC's. <s>