PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help? Looking for Materials Advice. Does anyone know of any good DVD's

jesblood
05-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Can anyone help? Looking for Materials Advice. Does anyone know of any good DVD tutorials on Materials and Lighting? Cost is not a problem. Just desperately need help understanding Lightwave's materials editor.

Need desperate help creating decent metal shaders. I want my bucket 114617 to match the metal materials of this bucket's interior 114618

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or direction anyone is able to offer.

UnCommonGrafx
05-30-2013, 11:17 PM
It's about the environment.

As I look at the image, I see the reference picture as being in a "hotel room/ball room" with swanky wallpaper, bright lights and the like. Look at the reflections and note the colors compared to yours: you only have blue skies in your picture, which suggests being outside, while the reference picture allows me to "put the room back together". By that I mean that I can see the wallpaper, the black wall trim, lights, etc. in the reflections, enough so that I can mentally piece the room back together.

Make a more complete environment for your bucket and you should be good.

jwiede
05-31-2013, 03:05 AM
Make a more complete environment for your bucket and you should be good.

The new bucket's materials look a bit off to me, such that even duplicating the old environment I believe the new bucket would still look quite different. The metal inside the new bucket resembles stainless steel, with maybe even the slightest "brushed" appearance, while the original bucket looks like silver with a slightly worn mirror finish.

I'd start playing with both the new bucket's diffuse color (go warmer instead of cooler), and using silver IOR value (or equivalent fresnel, etc.). I also think there may be some kind of (anisotropic?) shading effect causing the slight "brushed" look inside the new bucket, and if so, that needs to go or at least be greatly reduced.

I'm not sure what's going on with the outside material of the new bucket, the reflectivity seems way off (note the absence of any sort of reflection of the surrounding ring or support brackets). Once the inside of the bucket is looking more like mirror finish silver, it would be interesting to see the same material on the outside surface of the new bucket.

Just this hobbyist's $0.02, no worries.

bazsa73
05-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Never mind the colors, you can grade it in PS. If time is really an issue fake the whole thing in a composer, but then you need passes and masks.
I would do that. You have bigger freedom when doing these kind of endless re-re-re-re-rendering stuff.

jesblood
05-31-2013, 09:27 AM
You guys are right. I shouldn't be trying to judge the materials without setting up an interior scene. Thanks for pointing that out plus all the other suggestions. However I really am in desperate need of some really good DVD tutorials on lighting and materials in Lw. Does anyone here know of any that are worth my time? I could care less about how expensive.

JoePoe
05-31-2013, 10:51 AM
You guys are right. I shouldn't be trying to judge the materials without setting up an interior scene.

You don't really need much of a scene per se, just some good imagery to use as reflection/environment maps.
Are you using the Conductor node. Does a lot of the heavy lifting for you.

Also, the outside of the bucket seems.... odd. Is it a different surface altogether? Is there any reflection at all? Shouldn't it be reflecting the little birdies (color notwithstanding)?

Sorry, can't think of any comprehensive vids for you. Just the usual small individual stuff you find on Y-tube.

JoePoe
05-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Very rough model here.....

Only thing in the scene are the buckets and the floor.
Conductor node..... reflection set to Ray Trace & Spherical map and a tiny bit of reflection blur.... prob could have used more, but it's just an example.
Three different maps used as examples.
Buckets are reflecting the floor and each other.

Very basic settings to start. You can dirty it up as much as you like. :)

RebelHill
05-31-2013, 11:48 AM
The node series in my sig contains some pretty detailed looks at different materials and shaders... it does ofc have a whole bunch of other stuff too besides (being an overall nodal series) and doesnt really contain anything on lighting, though most of the setups in it just use some HDRI backdrop or other to help owrry only about the material properties. Im sure has some good contents for you, though poss other stuff you may not need or be so interested in.

jmcinnis
06-01-2013, 12:19 AM
However I really am in desperate need of some really good DVD tutorials on lighting and materials in Lw. Does anyone here know of any that are worth my time? I could care less about how expensive.

The on-line LW materials course is very good as are the lighting classes available here:
http://online.cg-masters.com/videos/software/12

jesblood
06-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Hey everyone! Thanks for all the help. Getting my head wrapped around LW's methodology has been difficult for me. I swear half of it is Photoshop based while the other half is all physics. So to everyone, thanks for all the help and for sending me to the right links.

@ Rebel = Definitely going to get that training series on the node editor. How much is that exactly in US Dollars?

Not finished but I'm much happier that's for sure!

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/jesblood/Website%20Galleries/Dev%20Forum/Ice_Bucket-700_zps9782c52a.jpg (http://s569.photobucket.com/user/jesblood/media/Website%20Galleries/Dev%20Forum/Ice_Bucket-700_zps9782c52a.jpg.html)

jesblood
06-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Hey, real quick, does anyone know how to make a glow effect show up in reflections in LW? I can't for the life of me figure it out. It's pretty aggravating. As you can see with the test below I'm stumped as to how to do it, besides cheating in Photoshop. Does anyone know?

Thanks for the help.

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/jesblood/Website%20Galleries/Dev%20Forum/Sample_Glow-700_zpse6c5717d.jpg (http://s569.photobucket.com/user/jesblood/media/Website%20Galleries/Dev%20Forum/Sample_Glow-700_zpse6c5717d.jpg.html)

RebelHill
06-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Tis somewhere around $75, and as for the glow... cant have that show in reflections. U would either make the glow using geo and surfacing to make it so, or do glow for the frame as a whole in post.

stiff paper
06-02-2013, 07:30 AM
...does anyone know how to make a glow effect show up in reflections in LW?
The glow is done as a post process on the rendered image in LW (so it's never actually "in" the 3D), the ability to do it dates from waaaay back in 3D prehistory (1993?) and is probably only still there so that ancient LW scenes will still render the same they used to.

It's completely normal to do glows in post using Photoshop, After Effects, Nuke or anything similar.

jesblood
06-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Wow that's surprising. When I used to work with 3ds Max back in 2000 it was able to apply the post image filter to both the designated object and its reflection on other surfaces. I'm truly surprised by this. Is there a plugin maybe that is able to do the same?

Areyos Alektor
06-02-2013, 06:15 PM
In LightWave there are 3 systems to make the Glow :
Glow, Bloom and Corona.

Corona is the most leads. You can choose on which channel it will apply, use the Special Buffer, etc...

jesblood
06-03-2013, 10:59 AM
What do you guys think? Better or worse than the last posted image?

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/jesblood/Website%20Galleries/Dev%20Forum/Ice_Bucket_06-700_zps14987340.jpg (http://s569.photobucket.com/user/jesblood/media/Website%20Galleries/Dev%20Forum/Ice_Bucket_06-700_zps14987340.jpg.html)

MSherak
06-04-2013, 04:15 AM
In LightWave there are 3 systems to make the Glow :
Glow, Bloom and Corona.

Corona is the most leads. You can choose on which channel it will apply, use the Special Buffer, etc...

Don't forget Dpont's free plethora of great plugins. http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/DP_Filter.html#Bloom

jesblood
06-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks bro! Totally appreciate the link! Be blessed.