PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Field

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 11:43 AM
I've done the research on depth of field and learned about focal point and F-Stops. I've watched a few tutorials and have a solid understanding including the need for higher anti alias settings and even the image filter "digital confusion where you can apply this to a null and use that to force the camera to focus where the null is. After all this I can't seem to get a really serious DOF. Can any one help or can this just not be done at this level.

I've attached a couple of photos from a sample which was done in After Effects (new 3D feature) which is the look I'm after. Notice one image has the blur in the background the other is in the foreground (and it's animating between the two in the animation).

Please tell me this is doable. At the risk of sounding rude, I'm not interested in guesses I'm looking for a solid yes you can or no you can't. I know I can build mattes in After Effects and key a copy of the animation through a soft matte and blur the copy but that's a band aid. I would think if a 2D app with a 3D capability can do this a solid 3D app should be able to.

Thanks in advance.
DI

- - - Updated - - -

Oops here are the images:

Svenart
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
I dont see why this should not be doable in lw. But if you use the native dof, rendertime could be really high. You can try dponts dof shader. In a lot of situations its very good and fast.

Ztreem
05-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Of course its doable in LW, quite easy as well. DoF will of course add to render time . In my opinion the digital confusion filter is just crap, but that's what I think.

3DGFXStudios
05-30-2013, 01:51 PM
The DOF in LW is pretty fast now in 11.5. and yes digital confusion is not the best plugin. The Dpont dof node is a lot better, but this is also a post effect.

Danner
05-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Not to mention you can see DOF now in VPR so you can adjust it quickly and easily. (turn off draft mode to see it)

eKalb
05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Yes you can.

Create a null, select your camera, open camera properties, turn on DOF, set desired F-Stop (based on example images use somewhere around 1-2) Click the envelope button for focal distance, click modifiers tab at the bottom of Graph Editor. Add modifier -> Proximity. Double click Proximity to edit. Set Item to Camera, and Target to Null.

You now can control focal distance with the null. If you want, you can also target the camera at the null in the motion options panel.

XswampyX
05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
And the DOF blur image filter.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Dof_Blur_zps87dca3d6.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/xXswampyXx/media/Dof_Blur_zps87dca3d6.jpg.html)

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Outstanding - I knew it must be doable. Still learning.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Danner!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks eKalb and XswampyX!

DI

JoePoe
05-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Hey XswampyX, or anybody else..... got a tip for me on the DOF Pixel Filter?
I get an abrupt stopping of the effect. There aren't many variables..... :stumped:
Checking "Use Layout Lens" blurs the whole image.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114607&d=1369954362

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes you can.

Create a null, select your camera, open camera properties, turn on DOF, set desired F-Stop (based on example images use somewhere around 1-2) Click the envelope button for focal distance, click modifiers tab at the bottom of Graph Editor. Add modifier -> Proximity. Double click Proximity to edit. Set Item to Camera, and Target to Null.

You now can control focal distance with the null. If you want, you can also target the camera at the null in the motion options panel.

In the Proximity Modifier dialog, what do I set the "Use" pull down to (and what do these mean/do)? Target Only, Target & Descendents, Target Leaves Only, Target Leaves as Lines.

I suspect Target & Descendents refers to any child of the Target Null but I don't understand the others. What should I set it to? I tried the default and I see the Camera Focal point adjust but don't see any results in my render. I've tried various positions on the null. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I like your extreme blur (which is what I'm after) but I'm not getting these results. What camera type are you using. Mine is set to Classic.

Thanks for your help
DI

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Danner, where is "draft" turned off. I'm not seeing the effect.

Thanks
DI

XswampyX
05-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Here's the scene..... Have a play. :)

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 05:05 PM
XswampyX Never mind about the "USE" pull down. Found that part in the manual (go figure). But seriously I find this forum way more helpful for specifics than the manual most of the time. Still trying to get a grip on this.

DI

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks!
DI

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 05:24 PM
I downloaded and rendered your file without changing anything. And the attached is what I got. I am getting a blur on mine now but not the clear area. Still experimenting but on the right track (I think). Thank you so much for your generosity. Clearly you understand deadlines.

DI

XswampyX
05-30-2013, 05:28 PM
I downloaded and rendered your file without changing anything. And the attached is what I got. I am getting a blur on mine now but not the clear area. Still experimenting but on the right track (I think). Thank you so much for your generosity. Clearly you understand deadlines.

DI

Erm... I think it's a bug?

Goto :- windows > image processing (alt F8) Click on the depth of field blur and tick 'use layout lens'
For some reason it's not saved as ticked when you reload your scene.

JoePoe
05-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Ahh, so I believe XswampyX is using the DOF Pixel filter to literally blur the blur. That way you don't have to sit through many AA passes.
Yes??

I got the same result as you digitalimagey on first render. But I noticed that the DOF was fine in the initial render and then smudged up on the filter pass.
Then I noticed that the Focal Distance was different in the filter setting than the camera options. I realize that the camera settings are using a modifier, so I just changed the pix filter to have the same.

Finally it's clear that I'm having color space issues in backwards compatibility to 9.6.
And I eased up on the adaptive sampling..... but the gist is there. Thanks Swamp!! (if I'm wrong or left something out please don't hesitate).

JoePoe
05-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Whoops, didn't see the page had turned. I guess using the same settings is the long hand version of "use layout lens" ;D :foreheads

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Ahh, so I believe XswampyX is using the DOF Pixel filter to literally blur the blur. That way you don't have to sit through many AA passes.
Yes??

I got the same result as you digitalimagey on first render. But I noticed that the DOF was fine in the initial render and then smudged up on the filter pass.
Then I noticed that the Focal Distance was different in the filter setting than the camera options. I realize that the camera settings are using a modifier, so I just changed the pix filter to have the same.

Finally it's clear that I'm having color space issues in backwards compatibility to 9.6.
And I eased up on the adaptive sampling..... but the gist is there. Thanks Swamp!! (if I'm wrong or left something out please don't hesitate).

I'll try that. I'm getting there. I noticed on my version the camera wasn't set under the item option in the proximity filter. After fixing that it worked properly. I'm getting the blur but am also getting some serious grain. What's causing that. My lights are set to a high quality and don't look grainy in the clear areas. I've really cranked up the anti aliasing and that's not it either. Here's a sample (attached). I'll try what XswampyX mentioned and see if that affects anything.

Thanks Again!
DI

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Got it. Thanks.

DI

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 06:17 PM
What's causing this flipping grain?

DI

JoePoe
05-30-2013, 06:20 PM
what version LW?

Same pic/grain as above?

You said classic camera before.... try Perspective? (limited region test of course).

XswampyX
05-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes??

Yep, that's about it. I don't know if the DOF pixel filter is supposed to be used on it's own or in addition to actual DOF but it seem to give the best of both worlds. I thought this was for an animation so the extra speed increase would be welcome.

The grain will dissipate with more samples, just increase the number of max samples to 64?

JoePoe
05-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Well, the DOF Pixel Filter alone gives the result I showed earlier in the thread...... an abrupt stop to the effect. Not so pretty.
So I think it's made to work in concert with the other. :thumbsup:

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Tried both going the XswampyX route. Will post a "gleeful" response when I can eliminate that, launch this *beep* and head home for dinner. Boston eh? I from that area.

DI

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks xSwampyX will give it a whirl.

DI

PS. Where's Kernow?

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Sorry to sound like an idiot but where do I change the Max Samples?

DI

XswampyX
05-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Tried both going the XswampyX route. Will post a "gleeful" response when I can eliminate that, launch this *beep* and head home for dinner. Boston eh? I from that area.

DI

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks xSwampyX will give it a whirl.

DI

PS. Where's Kernow?

Kernow -> The bottom left corner of England. You might know it as Cornwall. :)

XswampyX
05-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Sorry to sound like an idiot but where do I change the Max Samples?

DI

Well in 11.5 it's in render globals -> cameras, about half way down.

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Cool. I like to know where these people with all this knowledge come from.

;O)

DI

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in 10.1 haven't gotten approval to upgrade yet.

DI

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 06:48 PM
If you're referring to the sampling in this dialog I noticed the file you sent was set to the same as what I have here and your render is smooth. Is this what you're referring to? If so, which do I change to 64? Threshold or Oversample?

DI

JoePoe
05-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Ah, LW 10.
Min/Max settings started in 11? Certainly, it's in 11.5
So you don't have unified sampling either!!
You might have more similarities to my situation.

Below: Exactly as XsX file called for. AA=1.

Is the graininess in Swampy's file or your own?
____
Yup Boston. Not born here, but been here long enough to wear a "B" without reservation. :hey:

COBRASoft
05-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Try threshold at 0.03 and samples on 16, 32 or 64. A threshold of 0.03 will render faster but leave small differences in a wide surface untouched. 0.01 will keep improving parts that are maybe not so visible. If you find 0.03 to high, try 0.02...

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for signing in. The grain is in mine (attached fil below). Copying the settings of XswapyX and not getting the same results. Getting time to render this pig and it's not going to be pretty.

How the heck are you getting such a gorgeous image with anti aliasing set to 1?

Yeah I wasn't born there either. In AZ now. Getting pretty frigg'n hot. In another month it will be a blast furnace. Same as being in Boston in the winter, Stay inside as much as possible.

DI

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Where are the sample settings you're referring to? Are they available on LW 10.1?

Thanks for chiming in.
RC

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Try threshold at 0.03 and samples on 16, 32 or 64. A threshold of 0.03 will render faster but leave small differences in a wide surface untouched. 0.01 will keep improving parts that are maybe not so visible. If you find 0.03 to high, try 0.02...

I'm using LW 10.1 and am not clear where to locate the "samples." Is this available in LW 10.1?

TY
DI

JoePoe
05-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Min Max sample .... not on 10.

Cobra is referring to adaptive sampling. To be frank the .01 was killing my render time (I'm on a piece of s*** here).
I'm not sure what he is referring to with 16, 32, 64.
Below is AS at .05 (much more manageable for me) but I doubled the DOF Pixel filter strength to 500% (might be too much even).

There was no image attached to your post.

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 07:25 PM
OK Thanks COBRASoft it looks like setting to .03 and JoePoe using an anti aliasing of 1 (don't get that). Gave me an acceptable image and render time. Thanks to all for saving my bacon.

Image attached.
DI

JoePoe
05-30-2013, 08:05 PM
... and JoePoe using an anti aliasing of 1 (don't get that).

Lol. Yeah, i really don"t get it either. I think it's just a conversion thing in between 11.5 and 10.

To be safe I'd set AA to 2 at least.

Golden Spindle
05-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Nice! Great work.

- - - Updated - - -

It's amazing how depth of feel can make it seem so much more real.

digitalimagery
05-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Will do. Thank you for all your input.

DI

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks GS.

DI

COBRASoft
05-31-2013, 02:46 AM
Sorry, I referred to AntiAliasing setting. Better to go with the power of 2 for this setting (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ...).

Glad you have a good result now, keep up the good work!

Danner
05-31-2013, 02:50 AM
Danner, where is "draft" turned off. I'm not seeing the effect.

Thanks
DI

On top of the viewport there are a few icons, there is one that is shaped like a camera, and next to it there is one that looks Kind of like this:

._
._
._

if you click that you will open the VPR settings pannel, uncheck "Draft Mode" and you will see DOF in real time (Lw 11.5)

digitalimagery
05-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Danner,

Thanks for the compliment. As many projects as I've done in Lightwave I feel like such a newbie when trying something I've never done before. I see the icon you're referring to in the viewport but in 10.1 it's greyed out (unless I'm missing something). Could this be a feature designed into the interface in 10.1 but not actually useable until LW 11 or 11.5?

DI

Danner
05-31-2013, 11:39 AM
I honestly don't remember how draft mode worked in 10.1. Anyway, motion blur in VPR is a new thing for 11.5, so it wouldn't help you either. My bad, I responded to the thread before noticing you were in 10.1. There are quite a few nice things in 11.5 compared to 10.1 that make it a worthy update. I had the pleasure to Talk with Rob Powers and the next release will have some very nice additions too. I can't talk about it, but I wish I had it yesterday.

digitalimagery
05-31-2013, 11:56 AM
I honestly don't remember how draft mode worked in 10.1. Anyway, motion blur in VPR is a new thing for 11.5, so it wouldn't help you either. My bad, I responded to the thread before noticing you were in 10.1. There are quite a few nice things in 11.5 compared to 10.1 that make it a worthy update. I had the pleasure to Talk with Rob Powers and the next release will have some very nice additions too. I can't talk about it, but I wish I had it yesterday.

I have to get corporate to approve the purchase. They hold the purse strings. I can't wait to get it.
DI

digitalimagery
05-31-2013, 03:09 PM
For those still struggling with DOF at least in LW10.1 or earlier. I've put together an image with 4 color coded steps that should at the very least get you some results. Adjustments may necessary but it's a decent starting point thanks to all those who helped me get it working in this thread.

A big hats off to the LW Community!
Thank you is an understatement.
DI

BeeVee
05-31-2013, 04:40 PM
* DOF does not render in VPR in 10.x, only in 11, you'll need to use F9.
* For antialiasing in 10.x there's no min or max, that's in 11. Just set the antialiasing setting higher.
* One way I always tell my students to do DoF is the following (because it gives you something to see the DoF based around):

1. Add a Null to the scene, call it DoF.
2. Parent Dof to the camera (make sure Parent in Place is not on first so that the null jumps to the camera's position)
3. Go into the camera settings (Render Globals panel) and turn on Depth of Field
4. Set the Focal Distance to 0 m (it will jump to 100 um, but it's the closest you can get)
5. Hit the E button next to this field, go to the modifiers tab and add Channel Follower
6. In the Channel Follower window add DoF > Position.Z and hit OK
7. Make sure you have a Camera View viewport. In the third downpointing arrow in the viewport title bar (the first is the type of viewport, the second is the rendering mode, the third is options) turn on DOF/MBlur Preview
8. That viewport may well go a funny grey right now. It's because you camera is focused at about 100 microns away. Move the DoF null along the Z axis (turn off the X and Y axes at the bottom left of the Layout window) until it's about touching the object in your scene you wish to focus on.

Now you should see roughly the effect you want to get. Hitting F9 will confirm...

Here's a single pic demonstrating. Note the X,Y and Z at the bottom left for the DoF object only has Z turned on. This is so that you only move the null along the camera's axis. Note also that it's the DoF null's Z that Channel Follower is following. This is a screenshot from 11.5, but the DoF part of the Camera Properties panel is the same in 10.1

B

JoePoe
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Thank you both for the "recipes".

It's important, however, not to forget about the F-stop setting which controls the "area of influence" radiating out from the focal distance (AFAIK).

If you move your focal target far(ther) away and keep the F-stop low the area of influence might be too small to have much impact (nothing in focus).
Or, perhaps, even a close focal point might need a greater area of clarity.....
So don't forget to set the F-stop accordingly.
Maybe there's a modifier for this as well. An expression perhaps that delivers a value (percentage?) based on the Proximity or Channel Follower value??

BeeVee
06-01-2013, 03:50 AM
You can use the Envelope for that setting too and follow the same rules as for the Focal distance.

B

digitalimagery
06-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Thank you JoePoe. I was curious what controlled this. That's a huge part of this and will help a bunch. Can anyone tell me what's causing this grainy render quality? I'm using LW10.1 so I can't adjust the samples but I don't see that adjustment in 10.1. BeeVee, can you help?

Thanks
DI

digitalimagery
06-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Thank you JoePoe. I was curious what controlled this. That's a huge part of this and will help a bunch. Can anyone tell me what's causing this grainy render quality? I'm using LW10.1 so I can't adjust the samples but I don't see that adjustment in 10.1. BeeVee, can you help?

Thanks
DI

Sample of the grain. I've adjusted lighting quality settings, upped the anti aliasing (dropped the AA). Nothing seems to affect this. The early sample submitted in this thread has a great softness with no grain. What am I doing wrong?

HELP!!!
Oh, Sorry. I meant, thank you.

DI

JoePoe
06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Can I assume you are applying the pixel filter over top of the actual DOF as per your own recipe??
Are you sure it's using the layout lens?

In 10, how high did you go in AA? (not sure what you mean by "dropped the AA".... did you mean AS?)

jboudreau
06-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Sample of the grain. I've adjusted lighting quality settings, upped the anti aliasing (dropped the AA). Nothing seems to affect this. The early sample submitted in this thread has a great softness with no grain. What am I doing wrong?

HELP!!!
Oh, Sorry. I meant, thank you.

DI

Hi

I saw you said you upped the antialiasing. What is the highest setting you've tried? I saw in your diagram you had a antialiasing setting of 2, You need to set it atleast to 16, 32 or 64 to get rid of that grain.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Jason

Lightwolf
06-11-2013, 09:43 AM
2. Parent Dof to the camera (make sure Parent in Place is not on first so that the null jumps to the camera's position)

2.a Add the "Depth-of-Field Display" as a custom object to the null. This will show both the focus as well as the volume that's in focus depending on the f-stop and render size (which plays a part as well).

Cheers,
Mike

jboudreau
06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi Guys

For those of you wondering how XswampyX got such great results with his image using an antialiasing of 1 well it's not exactly true. He used an antialiasing of a miniumum sample of 1 and a maximum sample of 32. This is a feature that is in 11.5. If you want the same resutls in previous versions then you have to set the antialiasing to 32. This will give you the same results as XswampyX got. You need atleast 16, 32, 64 or 128 samples to get rid of the grain in your images when using DOF.

Here are some exmple render shots with their settings to show you what I mean. The reason my minimum samples match my maximum samples is to show how it would work in previous versions before lightwave 11.5. The reason for the color mismatch on XswampyX's scene is because I'm just using a different color space than him.

Hope this clears everything up

Thanks,
Jason

JoePoe
06-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi Guys

For those of you wondering how XswampyX got such great results with his image using an antialiasing of 1 well it's not exactly true. He used an antialiasing of a miniumum sample of 1 and a maximum sample of 32. This is a feature that is in 11.5. If you want the same resutls in previous versions then you have to set the antialiasing to 32. This will give you the same results as XswampyX got. You need atleast 16, 32, 64 or 128 samples to get rid of the grain in your images when using DOF.

Here are some exmple render shots with their settings to show you what I mean. The reason my minimum samples match my maximum samples is to show how it would work in previous versions before lightwave 11.5. The reason for the color mismatch on XswampyX's scene is because I'm just using a different color space than him.

Hope this clears everything up

Thanks,
Jason

mmmmmm....
I think the point of XswampyX's technique was how to get a nice(r) soft blur WITHOUT high AA. He is using the DOF post process pixel filter in conjunction with DOF camera settings.
Without the pixel filter, yes I agree with you, high (and higher AA) is the way to go. But you can get away with a lot less AA (and consequently save big on render times) using the filter to essentially blur the blur.
Here is my extreme example from earlier in this thread..... AA1 (I said extreme.... in reality, using this combo approach, I would use at least 2). :)

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114613&d=1369962091

jboudreau
06-11-2013, 11:08 AM
mmmmmm....
I think the point of XswampyX's technique was how to get a nice(r) soft blur WITHOUT high AA. He is using the DOF post process pixel filter in conjunction with DOF camera settings.
Without the pixel filter, yes I agree with you, high (and higher AA) is the way to go. But you can get away with a lot less AA (and consequently save big on render times) using the filter to essentially blur the blur.
Here is my extreme example from earlier in this thread..... AA1 (I said extreme.... in reality, using this combo approach, I would use at least 2). :)

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114613&d=1369962091

Hi Thanks for the reply

Are you using lightwave 11.5 because I can not get those results with an AA of 1 or 2, I'm rendering the same exact scene as XswampyX. Also the blue noise setting for sampling pattern doesen't even exist in lightwave 11.5. All I have is Classic, low dis-crepency and fixed. Something must of changed in 11.5?

How do you get the above results using AA of 1 using lightwave 11.5

Thanks,
Jason

JoePoe
06-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Ooh, I meant to say image filter not pixel filter.

Are you using the DOF Image filter?
Image Processing > Add Image Filter > Depth of Field Blur

Check, Use Layout Lens as a quick way to match settings.

Think of it as a booster. You can have a somewhat rough initial setting on the camera and the filter just "blurs the blur". :thumbsup:

jboudreau
06-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Ooh, I meant to say image filter not pixel filter.

Are you using the DOF Image filter?
Image Processing > Add Image Filter > Depth of Field Blur

Check, Use Layout Lens as a quick way to match settings.

Think of it as a booster. You can have a somewhat rough initial setting on the camera and the filter just "blurs the blur". :thumbsup:

Hi

Yes I am using everything you mentioned. I have the settings the exact same as you. But in lightwave 11.0 the sampling changed actually the whole rendering way changed. I just did a test in lightwave 10.1 and the antialiasing of 1 works it renders out an images exactly like above. But in lightwave 11.0 and 11.5 this has changed so if you put an antialiasing of 1 you will get lots of grain and noise. You need to set it to at least 32, Minimum sampling of 1 and a Maximum sampling of 32. If you have lightwave 11.5 give it a try you will see what I mean.

Thanks,
Jason

JoePoe
06-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Well, I don't have 11.5, but afaik the correlation between render settings is 9.6 AA=11.5 min samples and 9.6 AS=11.5 max samples.

So I'll try it without adaptive sampling.
Other than that, I guess we're dealing with apples and oranges. :)

jboudreau
06-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Well, I don't have 11.5, but afaik the correlation between render settings is 9.6 AA=11.5 min samples and 9.6 AS=11.5 max samples.

So I'll try it without adaptive sampling.
Other than that, I guess we're dealing with apples and oranges. :)

Hi

oh okay, well when every you upgrade then you will see what I mean. Yeah it's definitely because of the adaptive sampling. In 11.5 it's actually faster to render with AA 32 samples than it is in 10.1 to render with AA of 1 with adaptive sampling on. Both give the same results

Yeah you are right comparing apples to oranges for sure.

Thanks,
Jason

JoePoe
06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
So that seems to be it!
Below....in 9.6.
1) AA 1 & AS .01........ smooth
2) No adaptive sampling....... Much the same as your result
3) Trying to find the "tipping point". AA1, AS.05 and pixel filter up to 500%...... still pretty good but showing signs of stress.

Fell apart (to my eyes) with anything less. I tried AS .1 and filter at 1000%...... not so good.

So maybe you can buy yourself a little render relief by dialing in a good balance between Max samples and filter %. :hey::thumbsup:

JoePoe
06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
So, DigitalImagery......

To address your question..... in LW!0, what is your adaptive sampling set to? Try .01.