PDA

View Full Version : a little radiosity render

mindseye
11-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Here is a little patio project I just finished for a client. I used DFX for the glowies.

Jure
11-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Mmmmm.. Very nice.
But the roof - omg! Get rid of that texture. Make a "real" one (or move the camera so you don't show the roof). I know you can do it ;).

Matt
11-10-2003, 11:55 AM
very realistic, I agree about the tiled roof though - lets the image down.

mindseye
11-10-2003, 11:59 AM
I agree on the roof.... unfortunately this was a budget restricted project and this closeup was an after thought of the clients.... The texture looks fine from a distance. It's just one of those things that happens when doing stuff for a living....

maybe I can get more time and a reasonable budget from the client on the next project I do for them.

:D

Matt
11-10-2003, 12:18 PM
out of interest what radiosity settings did you use, looks very good!

mindseye
11-10-2003, 12:47 PM
I used an HDRI image for the global.

then:
one distant light at 130%
ambient at 35%
monte carlo at 3x9
intensity at 135%
1 bounce.

fairly reasonable rendertime... I rendered it out to 3200x 2400 pixels at low enhanced AA. Think it took about 4 hrs or 5 hr so to render.

ddho1981
11-10-2003, 02:01 PM
very nice -- what did you use for the plant stuffs? what are your system specs?

mindseye
11-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Most of the plants are things I've built over the years. The pine trees were probably from 3dcafe.com I use a procedural clipmap to get the leaves on the lattice plants...

I'm using a Boxx system... dual pent 4 Xeon 2.6 gig with a gig of ram... I like it very much

Matt
11-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Nice one! I need to play around with HDRI more, render times put me off, and I used to try it without any ambient light so it looked naff all the time!

mindseye
11-11-2003, 08:54 AM
I know what you mean... but finally I couldn't resist anymore.
I set everything up do my proofing by using the motion blur trick.

You set your camera to motion blur 50% or so. Turn off adaptive sampling. then on your global ill tabs...

shading noise reduction =on
ambient= whatever looks good.... I run mine aroun 25 to 35%
Type= interpolated...untill final render
intensity= 130 or so for me. don't forget to mess with this at over 100%.. it'll keep you from having to go to 2 or more bounces most of the time.
rays per eval= 2x6 to start then up it as you get closer.

tolerance= .3 or .4
eval spacing= 10" or so.

these final two settings can really speed up or slow down your render times ...so mess around with them until you get a good balance. The renders will be more blotchy than you might like...
but this should allow you to set up for a final render pretty quickly.

loads of fun!

jat1
11-14-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by mindseye
I used an HDRI image for the global.

then:
one distant light at 130%
ambient at 35%
monte carlo at 3x9
intensity at 135%
1 bounce.

Im not sure since ive never played with HDRI images, but arent u ment to set the radiosity to backdrop only since the image contains light data which would mean it would light ur scene like in the real world, and would remove the reason for having any lights in the scene.

There may be exceptions to the rule, but u might want to try it... if u can stand the render time :).

Noce work on the modelling too!