PDA

View Full Version : OpenCOLLADA from LW11.5 ?

simno
05-29-2013, 04:48 AM
Does anyone here know if it's posible to export a .DAE from LW11.5 in OpenCollada format?

The COLLADA export creates a file in Collada 1.4.1 which apparently is NOT the same as OpenCOLLADA

If we can not export directly, is it possible to translate the 1.4.1 file into something which is compatible with OpenCOLLADA?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Phil
05-29-2013, 06:12 AM
It looks like it's simply an SDK to export COLLADA from various packages. I didn't see anything that suggested otherwise, particularly in terms of a change of format. From the Khronos site :

'OpenCOLLADA is a project dedicated to join efforts using COLLADA within various DCC tools like 3ds Max, Maya, Blender and a fast SDK for reading and writing COLLADA files. '

simno
05-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'm really not familiar with this area.

I have created a model for a client who is using it to integrate into AR platform and they have been advised that the 'Collada 1.4 is not the same as OpenCollada and will not work on the AR platform'

They have suggested using Max or Maya to output the .DAE but I don't have access to these applications, Lightwave is my tool of choice.

Is it possible that Lightwave/Newtek could implement the OpenCOLLADA SDK to ensure compatibility and ensure that we can work as part of any workflow?

Phil
05-29-2013, 09:07 AM
I wonder if you can send it through blender. There seem to be OpenCOLLADA exporters for that, based on a brief Google search.

Silkrooster
05-29-2013, 11:28 PM
I was under the impression that the entire collada format was open and each company added there own bits to the format. Which would mean that any other app could open the format, it just could not understand the private data and is suppose to bypass it gracefully.

Thomas Helzle
06-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Collada is is quite a mess unfortunately. The initial idea was very good though.

In reality it works in some cases but especially importers to some more obscure apps only implement what they think is important and often only test with the OpenCollada plugins...

It's pretty unfortunate that the only really good exporters for this "open format" are for the very unopen max and maya (the "Open Collada" ones you mention).
The next best I've found is modo, it's Collada exporter is halfways decent, although modo misses some of the basic things Collada can do.

The export from Blender has very little options, I couldn't get it to work when I needed output for a very picky platform. Worth a try though.

If you only need it for one job, maybe give the Autodesk Trial versions a try - they used to work for 30 days.

Cheers and good luck,

Tom

Areyos Alektor
06-10-2013, 07:09 PM
It's a text file, so you can compare and see what is different between the 2 then arrange your file.

MSherak
06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Does anyone here know if it's posible to export a .DAE from LW11.5 in OpenCollada format?

The COLLADA export creates a file in Collada 1.4.1 which apparently is NOT the same as OpenCOLLADA

If we can not export directly, is it possible to translate the 1.4.1 file into something which is compatible with OpenCOLLADA?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Here are some tools to help with Collada conversion.

http://www.clintons3d.com/plugins/lightwave/

simno
06-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Thanks Phil, I gave the Blender route a try and passed it the file on to the client. It wasn't a complete success but was worth a try.
I'd like to have a closer look at Blender someday when I get the chance, this is not the first time it's been suggested as a possible option for import/export.

simno
06-21-2013, 04:06 AM
Yeah, it seems odd that this format is not as open and universal as was initially intended as far as I can tell.

Oh well, maybe one day...

simno
06-21-2013, 04:10 AM
I think the client had a 'very picky platform'. They managed to get it working with some manual editing, I guess as Areyos Alektor suggested.

I got some feedback and will have a look at posting the advice which came back.

Thanks all for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.