realgray
05-28-2013, 10:33 PM
http://www.realflow.com/education/

CaptainMarlowe
05-28-2013, 10:46 PM
sounds interesting !

realgray
05-28-2013, 11:01 PM
I've never used it but would love to try it with lightwave. There are also some interesting plugins.
https://vimeo.com/33423079

prometheus
05-30-2013, 04:01 AM
definitely interesting, I would probably wait til someone tested that:)
is there a comparetive charth between the full version and the learning edition? to make sure whatīs missing etc.

Michael

BigHache
05-30-2013, 05:44 AM
I'm a bit confused. Their site says the Learning Edition is "suitable for freelancers", but also says it can't be used in production. How are freelancers not in production?

Phil
05-30-2013, 05:48 AM
definitely interesting, I would probably wait til someone tested that:)
is there a comparetive charth between the full version and the learning edition? to make sure whatīs missing etc.

Michael

Yes, if you look under their Products menu : Learn More : License Types.

http://www.realflow.com/product/realflow_lt/

Phil
05-30-2013, 05:50 AM
I'm a bit confused. Their site says the Learning Edition is "suitable for freelancers", but also says it can't be used in production. How are freelancers not in production?

I think it's just indicating that they would be leery selling learning editions into facilities, in order to avoid potential abuse of the learning edition. Freelancers can also use the learning edition to become familiar with the software before picking up a commercial license in the case that a job arrives that requires it. Studios presumably locate someone with the appropriate skills to use the software from day 1 of employment.

prometheus
05-30-2013, 05:59 AM
I think it's just indicating that they would be leery selling learning editions into facilities, in order to avoid potential abuse of the learning edition. Freelancers can also use the learning edition to become familiar with the software before picking up a commercial license in the case that a job arrives that requires it. Studios presumably locate someone with the appropriate skills to use the software from day 1 of employment.

Ahh..thank īs for the compare chart..didnīt see that, only xml,export/import limit, do not know what that means practicly really when working with it.

as far as learning edition for freelancers, you might see it this way, you could present showcases for a client and thus getting a job, under the notionthat the client themself might have the full versions, or is willing to purchase it, or maybe adding an extra bonus for you to actually buy the full one yourself.
Nothing stops you from creating any personal showcase art/animation portfolio in full glory at least.

Michael

erikals
05-30-2013, 11:13 AM
$99 learning edition for freelancers is cool, you can use it to create tests.

what i don't like about it is that you can't save the settings for then to load the settings in a $250 2-week on demand version.

$350 to train first for as long as you want and then render a 2 week RealFlow project is very good, but they should've made the RF-learning-edition and RF-on-demand adaptable/compatible...

prometheus
05-30-2013, 11:59 AM

what i don't like about it is that you can't save the settings for then to load the settings in a $250 2-week on demand version.

$350 to train first for as long as you want and then render a 2 week RealFlow project is very good, but they should've made the RF-learning-edition and RF-on-demand adaptable/compatible...

Then the comparative chart isnīt truly telling that thereīs more differences than specified?

erikals
05-30-2013, 01:49 PM
yep, unless i misunderstood...

http://www.realflow.com/education

XML and workspace restricted (so you cannot open scenes created in a Learning Edition in a Standard Commercial version - and vice versa)

prometheus
05-30-2013, 02:06 PM
yep, unless i misunderstood...

http://www.realflow.com/education

No problems there perhaps...they should offer a conversion service for a small fee, or a free conversion when buying the full edition,
If possible code vise.

Michael

Phil
05-31-2013, 08:03 AM

That would completely destroy their revenue, though. You could then have a whole team of people working in the learning edition and then feed those into a single commercial license.

erikals
05-31-2013, 08:59 AM
yeah,.. maybe there's no way around it after all... :/

Areyos Alektor
06-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Where is the problem ? It's a learning version, the day where you have a project you rent the need time. As you may already know software you have already prepared your draft. Considering the price I think it's their approach. More, LightWave is still part. In 1 month I will have the opportunity to do so.

erikals
06-02-2013, 05:24 PM
didn't say it was a problem, but i'd rather see it not so. it'd make things easier. still, a very good deal.

Areyos Alektor
06-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Yes I understood :)

But I'm very enthusiastic given the effort on pricing and what's new in the latest version. I'll need fluid so I see no reason not to take the plunge. But I could be wrong ;)

Greenlaw
06-03-2013, 12:09 AM
It sounds like they've borrowed a page from the SideFX book of marketing. Houdini Apprentice HD (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=589&Itemid=221), for example, is their learning edition for $99, which has no water mark and it does everything the full version does but you can't open the files with the 'pro' version for network rendering. It's perfect for an individual artist to create demo reel pieces with and for anybody who wants to prepare to work at a bigger studio that uses the full commercial program. Naturally, you're not supposed to use this version for commercial work--just like the terms for Realflow Education edition.

When they say "suitable for freelancers", I'm sure they mean it's useful for freelancers to learn with on their own time so they can qualify to use the program at a bigger studio that has commercial licenses. I have my own copy of Houdini Apprentice HD for just this reason, and I think I'll be getting RealFlow Education for this reason too.

G.

Eagle66
06-05-2013, 01:15 PM
The main problem of both Houdini Apprentice HD and Realflow Education is NO network rendering.

To create realistic Water / waves/ splashes, foam etc. you need up high resolution and 100 Millions of Particles and you have a sim time about 1 Hour per Frame on a Single Core PC. It took weeks for a 60 Seconds Simulation.

Roodie
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
The main problem of both Houdini Apprentice HD and Realflow Education is NO network rendering.
In Houdini Apprentice HD it is not disabled - you just get a single token. You want to utilize 4 computers - you can purchase 4 Apprenitce HD licenses and set up a render network :-D I guess it is the same with RealFlow. It isn't better by much, I admit, but still, you have the option :-D

When they say "suitable for freelancers", I'm sure they mean it's useful for freelancers to learn with on their own time
Not neccessarily. This option is perfect for someone who is unsure about a specific job. They can create all the demos, animations, whatever they would like to show the client, and pay for the full version if the client accepts it. You don't have to buy an expensive version first. Houdini can convert your project made with the Apprentice HD version if you upgrade to the full product, so you won't lose anything - I don't see this option on the RealFlow website however.

Greenlaw
06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Not neccessarily. This option is perfect for someone who is unsure about a specific job.
True but in either case, you're still using the program in an noncommercial situation and technically in an educational capacity. Once the project becomes a paying one, the terms are that you may no longer continue to use Apprentice.

As for the lack of network rendering, well, if you need network rendering then obviously you need to pay for it. I don't see how that's something 'wrong' with Apprentice HD. If they included network rendering in the educational version, for many people there wouldn't be much point in buying the full license.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool that they offer a watermark free HD version at such a low price for individual users who are considering using the program professionally. I, for one, would otherwise would not be able to afford to learn it or use it on our non-commercial film projects.

G.