PDA

View Full Version : My new website for Dynamic Renderings(Arch-Viz)

Nicolas Jordan
05-27-2013, 12:49 PM
I just started up my own business recently that does architectural renderings called "Dynamic Renderings". Here's a link to me new website http://www.dynamicrenderings.com/ I'm just looking for some critiques. It's always good to have these things reviewed by other sets of eyes to help fine tune things. I'm still debating if I should include an "about" section on the site that would contain information about me and my background.

Almost all of the renderings currently on my site are portfolio pieces from when I worked at Liquid Light 3D Graphics Inc. All the interior renderings on my site were rendered in Lightwave. The exterior renderings were rendered in both Modo and Lightwave.

If anyone needs help with any arch-viz projects I'm also open to contract work from other guys out there doing arch-viz.

Please let me know what you think of my website.

geo_n
05-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Loads fast and clean looking. Only thing I didnt like was the buttons for navi were on the bottom. On my 15inch laptop I had to constantly scroll down to navigate since theres a script that kept pulling the screen up.

djwaterman
05-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Hey I really love it, much better than your previous one, this one really emphasizes the work. Perhaps you could continue to work on the copy on the Services page, really hone your message. Is it a totally self made web page may I ask?

Nicolas Jordan
05-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Loads fast and clean looking. Only thing I didnt like was the buttons for navi were on the bottom. On my 15inch laptop I had to constantly scroll down to navigate since theres a script that kept pulling the screen up.

Thanks for the feedback. I never noticed that problem before but it looks like it could definitely become a bit of an annoyance for people viewing it on smaller screens at slightly lower resolutions.

Hey I really love it, much better than your previous one, this one really emphasizes the work. Perhaps you could continue to work on the copy on the Services page, really hone your message. Is it a totally self made web page may I ask?

Thanks I'm glad you like it! I didn't have time to make something totally from scratch so I picked a template from http://www.wix.com/ and customized it to suit my needs. I probably customized about 85% of it. I also decided to purchase one of the premium hosting packages to get rid of the Wix ads etc.

adrian
05-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Just tried it on Internet Explorer 9 at work and nothing shows up :-(

raymondtrace
05-28-2013, 06:42 AM
I'm seeing nothing on Firefox, Chrome & IE. Even looking at the base Wix site, there is nothing to see.

The source appears to be trying to make ajax calls to the real content but nothing is being triggered by the javascript.

Nicolas Jordan
05-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Just tried it on Internet Explorer 9 at work and nothing shows up :-(

I'm guessing the reason that it doesn't show up for you is probably because IE 9 doesn't support HTML 5. It works in IE 10 though. I never really considered some people might be using older versions of browsers to view the site.

Nicolas Jordan
05-28-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm seeing nothing on Firefox, Chrome & IE. Even looking at the base Wix site, there is nothing to see.

The source appears to be trying to make ajax calls to the real content but nothing is being triggered by the javascript.

That is very strange. Everything seems to load ok from here on my browsers so I'm a bit puzzled as to what the problem might be. Thanks for the feedback.

skype6
05-28-2013, 07:31 AM
I like it! Navigation and responses are quick, clean and easy. Eventually maybe put a short biography but for more information if anyone is interested they will surely contact you!

raymondtrace
05-28-2013, 07:36 AM
My corporate firewall must have been involved but the firewall-generated block message that I normally see was probably hidden behind the ajax tricks used to deliver your content. My firewall was not blocking at the domain level. I can access the domains directly. It must have taken issue with the javascript calls to load content.

I just bypassed my corporate firewall and can see the site now.

The framing of your wix domain and the ajax page loading is a bit overkill. Does wix allow you to assign your domain name without the framing gimmick? I believe similar services like squarespace and drupalgardens allow this.

EDIT... but yes, that navigation needs to be more accessible, up top.

Nicolas Jordan
05-28-2013, 09:03 AM
I like it! Navigation and responses are quick, clean and easy. Eventually maybe put a short biography but for more information if anyone is interested they will surely contact you!

I hope to add a short About Me/Bio soon. It might help give the business image more of a personal touch.

My corporate firewall must have been involved but the firewall-generated block message that I normally see was probably hidden behind the ajax tricks used to deliver your content. My firewall was not blocking at the domain level. I can access the domains directly. It must have taken issue with the javascript calls to load content.

I just bypassed my corporate firewall and can see the site now.

The framing of your wix domain and the ajax page loading is a bit overkill. Does wix allow you to assign your domain name without the framing gimmick? I believe similar services like squarespace and drupalgardens allow this.

EDIT... but yes, that navigation needs to be more accessible, up top.

I think that the reason the domain stays the same no matter what page you are on is because I have my domain forwarding with cloaking turned on since my domain was purchased through a different service a few months ago. Here is the root Wix domain http://nicker3d.wix.com/dynamicrenderings

SquishyAni
05-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Congrats on the business start-up. I hope it pans out well for you. like geo_n said, bottom nav buttons might get annoying for a small screen, but I don't think that is a pressing problem (forgive the pun). You got some great work, and it is easy to see it all. Good Luck!

Megalodon2.0
05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Opens fine and looks great in FF21.0

Fadlabi
05-29-2013, 02:20 AM
Same here.
Congrats :thumbsup:

Iain
05-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Good stuff. I really want to open your renders in Photoshop though as they mostly look like they have no post work.
Sorry to sidetrack but the site is all good and well and so is your work-I just think it needs a little.....oomph. A Contrast tweak here, a Levels curve there.

I think it would give more of a wow factor on first (and repeat) viewing. People react to bright whites and popping colours.

Nicolas Jordan
05-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Congrats on the business start-up. I hope it pans out well for you. like geo_n said, bottom nav buttons might get annoying for a small screen, but I don't think that is a pressing problem (forgive the pun). You got some great work, and it is easy to see it all. Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback on my site. I'm finding starting a new business is exciting and very challenging at the same time. I really just want to do make a decent living doing what I love and be able to work from home.

Same here.
Congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks for reviewing the site guys!

Good stuff. I really want to open your renders in Photoshop though as they mostly look like they have no post work.
Sorry to sidetrack but the site is all good and well and so is your work-I just think it needs a little.....oomph. A Contrast tweak here, a Levels curve there.

I think it would give more of a wow factor on first (and repeat) viewing. People react to bright whites and popping colours.

Thanks for pointing this out Iain. Your right making adjustments does give the renderings more visual appeal. I guess I have never bothered adjusting my renders in post mainly because it wasn't something we where in the habit of doing where I worked before. I think I will have to get into the habit of doing this on a regular basis to push the visuals further. I will go through my portfolio and adjust some of them. :)