PDA

View Full Version : Kinect in Virtual Studio - When?

merovingio
05-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Is there already an approximate date of release of the kinect support for the Virtual Studio?

cresshead
05-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Is there already an approximate date of release of the kinect support for the Virtual Studio?

lightwave 12 is my best estimate, so Lightwave 3d Group will probably demo that at siggy and deliver it on Christmas eve 2013.

merovingio
05-28-2013, 04:06 AM
This means that we have to expect a Lightwave 12 on december. Actually Kinect for Virtual Studio could be a glomour feature, but i think that if it is ready that should be released with a patch in 11.5.x.
Virtual studio have few native supporting devices at now and i think that the PSMove support, which needs a console, the Playstation Eye connected and the driver, psmove.me (which can't be purchased by people outside US), is not that attractive for the most. But maybe i am wrong.

I think there is many devices out there just more interesting, like, say, the wii controller with nunchuck (two accelerometer, many buttons) and access to android and iphone accelerometer.

Also would be great to have access to webcam and open source face tracking library. It is not science fiction nowadays to have such features at your home desktop.

Lewis
05-28-2013, 04:14 AM
lightwave 12 is my best estimate, so Lightwave 3d Group will probably demo that at siggy and deliver it on Christmas eve 2013.

Lw12 at Christmas 2013? heh I wish, but i think you are way too optimistic if you think they they can finish LW12 this year.

Netvudu
05-28-2013, 05:05 AM
I think some of you guys are not taking into account the possibility of yet another 11.x in the not-so long future. With Autodesk this wouldnīt be possible, but with Newtek itīs not that much of a long shot.

Spinland
05-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Since in the demo videos Rob and Lino were referencing "11.5" I would expect the Kinect features to arrive sooner than v12.

geo_n
05-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Yep for lw 11.5.
Lw 12 can't possibly be around the corner. Expectations are high for lw 12 to have some ground breaking signs of unification. Its deal or no deal for some users.

merovingio
05-28-2013, 09:22 AM
I agree. I don't expect to see version 12 this soon. The Hub today is Lightwave's Berlin wall, and it must fall :) But Layout is a complete different program from Modeler, i don't think they share the same 3d engine neither. So many things must be rewritten from scratch. Look at the Lightwave interface, few customizable windows, too many pop-up windows, tools with different shortcuts then the program itself... it is an old interface, is this a precise choice or it is written with a different approach compared to today's application? As Rob's team is doing a wonderful job with Lightwave the unification of the modules will be something that will take very big efforts to achieve.

Back to the topic... they revealed this kinect feature this soon, i expect to see at Siggraph more supports for Virtual Studio, look closely at the video... Lino was driving the mouth of the robot with his voice, isn't it?
This means an access to the mic.

cresshead
05-28-2013, 09:28 AM
well lw 10 was out only 14 months before lw 11 came out....and it's been 15 months as we speak for lightwave 11.

most other apps are now yearly releases such as all the autodesk lineup as well as modo and cinema4d plus houdini so it's not unreasonable to think newtek might bring lw12 out after 22 months of lw 11 which would be at the end of this year.

the days of lightwve 8, 9, 9.6 and Core era was down to new management and a new dev team.
Newtek need to make money and sell new products.

http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/LightWave_History

gclayton
05-31-2013, 08:15 PM
It's a shame that the shows seem to control any information that is released by the LW 3D Group. Hype it up and then don't release what was showed until well after the show. I suppose it'll be after Siggraph before another LW 11.x release.

cresshead
06-01-2013, 06:15 PM
i would not advise to update to 11.5 believing that the kinect will be in it, if THAT is the ONLY reason for them to upgrade, there has been no
press release to point to that says out right that the kinect motion capture feature will ship as a free update to 11.5 or 11.6.

once it's IN then yeh....groovy train!...i'll wait until it's in and working!

allabulle
06-04-2013, 07:47 AM
I don't know when will the LWG release the beast, but I saw it live and it already worked very well and amazingly fast, in real time. Oh, and running on a tablet (!). I can't wait to play with the thing.

Burchigb
06-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Has anyone seen the KinectSDK available on the Microsoft web site?

probiner
06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
well lw 10 was out only 14 months before lw 11 came out....and it's been 15 months as we speak for lightwave 11.
That was a quite particular time for LW... I wouldn't take it as a measure of anything.

I think we have to play the same game as NT. Lets just wait patiently and not hype things that haven't seen the light yet.

LW 11.6 or LW12... given the high hopes around for 12, it's better to not expect the world and bet on 11.6 ;)