PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave crashing in Windows 7

bcicio
05-26-2013, 05:22 PM
I recently upgraded my XP 32-bit station to Windows 7 32-bit. My LW 11.5 (32-bit) loads fine, but displays objects in a wacky way and I found that if I set the display options to Legacy OpenGL everything seems to display fine. Is there any disadvantage in having to use this Legacy OpenGL option? I'm also wondering why I would have to use it in order to display objects correctly. I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling LW 11.5 and updated my video driver. Only changing to OpenGL resolved the issue.

You can see in the attached images the crazy LW behavior I was encountering when I inserted a simple cylinder. (Same thing happened with other objects.) As soon as I release the mouse button, the polygon edges become jumbled and out of place. But as long as I click on the screen again, they jump back into the correct position - until I release the button again. If I try anything beyond that point, it crashes. Never saw that before.

LW_Will
05-27-2013, 02:07 AM
What card are you using? I notice that the actual window is small, is it a simple card or driver for a 1024X768 display?

The 3D part of the graphics engine IS OpenGL, so it should work with the Legacy OGL driver. Make sure you have the current driver for your card.

bcicio
05-27-2013, 09:16 AM
What card are you using? I notice that the actual window is small, is it a simple card or driver for a 1024X768 display?

The 3D part of the graphics engine IS OpenGL, so it should work with the Legacy OGL driver. Make sure you have the current driver for your card.

My NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 driver is up to date and my screen resolution is actually set to 1280x1024. I just reduced the window for a smaller screen grab file. And I've been careful to load the correct 32 or 64-bit version. So I guess I'll keep the Legacy OGL checked. I haven't experienced this problem on the Windows 7 station at my office, only at home. Might be something LW doesn't like about the XP to Windows 7 upgrade on this older PC. It had been operating fine when the OS was XP. Thanks.

BeeVee
05-27-2013, 03:35 PM
When you say "up-to-date" what version are you talking about? As far as I can see there are no Windows 7 drivers for the FX 5200. The newest XP driver is 175.19, which came out in 2008. If you are limited to AGP for your graphics card you can get a 6200 that has drivers for Windows 7, and if you do have access to PCI Express then you can get 8400s or 210s for less than $30.

Hope this helps,

B

bcicio
05-27-2013, 05:53 PM
When you say "up-to-date" what version are you talking about? As far as I can see there are no Windows 7 drivers for the FX 5200. The newest XP driver is 175.19, which came out in 2008. If you are limited to AGP for your graphics card you can get a 6200 that has drivers for Windows 7, and if you do have access to PCI Express then you can get 8400s or 210s for less than $30.

Hope this helps,

B

Thanks, BeeVee. I'm not much of a tech head, so I am not familiar with much of what you are suggesting - such as if I'm limited to AGP. ??? What I meant to write was that I have the latest driver for the FX 5200 after checking, which - yes - was released in 2008. I know.. hardly "up to date". I probably need a graphics card with a driver for Windows 7 as you suggest. (I'm pretty sure I bought my home Dell Dimension in 2008.) At least it seems I can operate in OpenGL mode for now with no issue while I looking into buying a new card.

BeeVee
05-28-2013, 06:39 AM
The problem is you *don't* have a driver for the card since there is none for the FX5200 for Windows 7. This means that Windows is treating it like the most basic display there is, which is why you're having to use Legacy GL. There are FX5200 card using PCI Express, so if yours is then you can just buy a newer card with no worries. For a visual comparison, power off and open up your machine and locate your graphics card (it's the card attached to your monitor). Then look at AGP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGP) and PCI Express (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci_express) (PCI Express slots aren't all yellow and AGP slots aren't all red, just look at the shape more than the colour) and see which your slot most resembles.

B

bcicio
05-28-2013, 08:55 AM
LOL. Colors and slots.. That I understand. Thanks for the help and simplifying that for me, B. I appreciate it.