View Full Version : Trouble with MacBook laptop decision...

Golden Spindle
05-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm getting a 15 inch retina display and my biggest hangup is the ram. I'm on a budget but I'm getting the ssd drive. The ram is the $350 difference. I use mainly photoshop, lightwave, Vue 11 and Digital Performer. I'm looking at 8GB vs 16GB. Is 8GB enough? I don't want to spend $350 extra if I can successfully use the 8GB.

05-25-2013, 10:11 PM
I got a laptop last year with 8GB of RAM (I don't think this model is expandable - consumer level Lenovo) and now I really wish I had 16GB RAM in it. I have some scenes now that I cannot use the laptop to render on because there's not enough RAM.

05-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Given that you cannot upgrade the RAM in the machine, you'll be better off going for the maximum up-front. However, it's also worth bearing in mind that WWDC is just around the corner and the machines are likely to get a refresh. It's worth holding off at this point in time, I would suggest.

Retina machines are solid-state only. There are after-market SSD upgrades available for the Retina machines. I'm not sure how price-competitive they might be.

Golden Spindle
05-25-2013, 11:20 PM
True. I don't like the fact you can't upgrade the ram. Kinda dumb if you ask me. Unfortunately I have to get a laptop this month since my wife and I will be displaced after June. Our landlord is selling the house. ) : Anyway, I'm getting a refurb from apple since the price is considerably cheaper. I think I am definitely going with the 16GB just to be on the safe side. Thanks for telling me about your experience with less ram. That helps for sure.

05-27-2013, 08:10 AM
I bought a MacBook Pro earlier in the year, but chose the non-Retina version. Two reasons: 1) the resolution difference didn't impress me (I guess I have "old eyes"), and 2) I could only afford 8GB RAM and a regular HD but want to eventually expand to 16GB and an SSD. So I didn't want to pay the "Apple tax" on maxing out my system. In my previous MB Pro, I upgraded the RAM, upgraded the installed hard drive to an SSD, and swapped out DVD drive for a second drive. My current MB is the last of the MacBooks that will allow you to do any kind of mods.

Because Macs are so closed, my next laptop may will probably be Windows (or maybe a hackintosh).