PDA

View Full Version : Scene is not saving my animation envelopes

dxdiag123
05-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Hello, I am experiencing a problem on Lightwave Layout 11.5. I have made some animation envelopes where objects changes colours from a frame to frame. However, when I save it, close it and re-open, my envelopes are not saved and the objects are at their default still colour. Can someone tell me why?

When I try to open the object in Modeler, Layout crashes. The point is, I only have added a null and camera movements since then. Why is this all happening? I am a newbie at this by the way.

lertola2
05-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Changes you make to the surfacing in lightwave are saved in the object file. So in lightwave you have to use the save all objects command or any surfacing changes you make will be lost when you close the scene file. Saving the scene is not enough. I am in the habit of using the Save All command which saves the scene and then the objects in one step.

As for the crashing can you reproduce that reliably? That should not happen and it might be worth a bug report. It seems to me that I have occasionally seen something I do in one of the programs crash the other one. But I have not had this happen consistently so I never reported a bug on it.

dxdiag123
05-25-2013, 01:54 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH :3333 It worked!!!

prospector
09-09-2013, 02:41 PM
This now saves an envelope in the model file and NOT the scene file????????
Just spent 6 hours changing luminosity over 80 objects for a few frames here and there over 700 frames so it ramped up and down.
Closed scene and reloaded and now all the envelopes are gone.....
WTH's idea was it to change THAT??????

Sensei
09-09-2013, 02:49 PM
This now saves an envelope in the model file and NOT the scene file????????

Surfaces was never saved with scene.
So you have to save all objects to have them saved.

You can store surfaces with scenes only using Global Materials (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/GlobalMaterials) (so you don't have to copy'n'paste object in every project, when you're reusing them in multiple projects).

prospector
09-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Yea, I know surfaces weren't
Talkin bout the envelopes. Made in graph editor under the 'E' button. Same as original poster.
made all these envelopes for the different surface illuminations and when I reopened scene (after saving multiple times) the envelopes were not there on anything I saved in any version (ie; 001,002,003) as I went along and did 85 surfaces with 85 envelopes over 700 frames each.
Pretty sure these were saved in scene file before.

Sensei
09-09-2013, 05:55 PM
I understand your pain.
But nothing has changed in LW.
Envelopes are saved in the context they were created.

Referring especially to this statement:

WTH's idea was it to change THAT??????

I even used envelopes, as a way to overload lwo in this video tutorial and show how IFF-sub chunk limitation is looking like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwtr9MNcFc

lertola2
09-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Make sure you have Auto Save Objects and Auto Save Scene turned on in the General Preferences. I have mine set to save every 5 minutes. If they are on then you should have backup copies of your object in a folder called Backup in your content directory.

prospector
09-10-2013, 07:49 AM
going o try it, but this will be first time I ever had those turned on since 9.5 when I started seeing LW never crashed on me.
and turned all that stuff off.

prospector
09-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Nope..not saved
even tried save > package scene.....with everything turned on

Never had this much trouble saving a scene...and all the envelopes came back just how I made them when loading a scene..never saved objects in Layout before..EVER

prospector
09-10-2013, 02:30 PM
FINALLY...got it
was my computer doing it
Went back on LW 10.5 and did everything I normally would do setting up this scene
which happens to be on my desktop.
And it worked
followed the SAME steps with 11.6 which is on laptop
it no workee

the difference...Desktop is dual monitor..Lappy not
I always worked with Layout and modeler open on desktop..Laptop no
So when I did anything in Layout it auto transferred to modeler thru hub..a good thing
Now it's not on lappy.

So when I quit layout I saved scene only and exited
then I quit modeler and just by years of habit saved whatever was there as increment so as not to change base model...ie; model with all the updates. Never thinking about it.

On lappy, nothing is transferred DOOOOh !
So without changing my base model..I have to save increment in layout now or run modeler in background.

So years of habit have messed me up on new computer.

So going to blame computer :D because it should just know what I want to do.

digitaldoc
09-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I know morph envelopes were screwy in 11.5, fixed in 11.6 though.

inkpen3d
09-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Please also be aware of this serious bug that I've found with the "Save and Clear Options" panel which, until I'd identified/characterised it, tripped me up numerous times and resulted in hours of lost work! https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?62558_17mjs3ggs5j3nuvp

Edit: BTW, you'll notice that this bug report is STILL open - rather telling, don't you think, given how bad it is to continue to have a serious flaw in something as fundamental as saving your precious work!

Regards,
Peter