PDA

View Full Version : Why is the inertia plugin not working properly?

3DGFXStudios
05-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Why is the inertia plugin not working properly? I'm trying to make a trail effect with inertia but every time a turn on the plugin or set the "inertia pivot root object" it jumps a few meter to some direction.
I attached the scene. Can somebody detect what's going wrong here?

UnCommonGrafx
05-25-2013, 10:42 AM
I am not understanding what is wrong; that is to say, what are you expecting with the lag rate at .5?

Change the lag rate to 3. And yes, when certain things are activated it will relocate based on the new settings.

With lag at 3, I get a nice ribbon look.

3DGFXStudios
05-25-2013, 10:57 AM
mmm that's strange. It should be located at the Null object (the ball shaped one) but on my system it doesn't conform to the motion path. I'm doing this in 11.5. Are you using something else?

raw-m
05-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Yep, I used to get this all the time - and the geometry would be flipped, as it appears yours might be. Found that I had got the weight map backwards. So, 100% weight was the section that lags the most, not 0% as I thought originally. I'm not at my computer at the mo so can't check but pretty sure that way my problem.

I'm assuming your scaling everything down in Modeller be fore sending to Layout?

3DGFXStudios
05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Yep, I used to get this all the time - and the geometry would be flipped, as it appears yours might be. Found that I had got the weight map backwards. So, 100% weight was the section that lags the most, not 0% as I thought originally. I'm not at my computer at the mo so can't check but pretty sure that way my problem.

I'm assuming your scaling everything down in Modeller be fore sending to Layout?

My weight map seems fine. I inverted it to be sure but that wasn't the problem. I scaled everything to one point like Gregg did in his tutorial. This really seem like it's a bug.
I also tried to do it with nodes but that did something similar. It didn't jump to exactly the same spot but the result was the same.
For anyone interested how I did it with nodes: I used the Dp node called "Motion Info" with the lag weightmap plugged into the time input. This gives you a nice trail. But also with that weird offset.

Can someone check the scene and see if it works on their system?

Thanks guys!

raw-m
05-26-2013, 03:28 AM
Theres a bug going on. Select the Inertia plugin, Where it says "Inertia Pivot Object: none", reselect "none" and it should jump to the place it's supposed to be.

PS. I got the node setup to work by unselecting World co-ords, I guess because of the parenting structure - but I loose the Lag!

Edit: I unparented the streamer and clicked back in World Co-ords, go the lag back but it appears to not to lag but look ahead in time! Multiplying the weight map by -1 works but flips the geometry. Looks like an align to path issue. Nothings easy!

3DGFXStudios
05-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Oh yes you are right. Clicking on none works. I've to play with the node setup some more to find a way to align the head of the trail to the path, but that has to wait. I need to make the dead line of my job first.