PDA

View Full Version : Displacement Maps in modeler with ability too freeze displaced sub-ds and CCs

cg-qbit
05-24-2013, 07:40 AM
I would like to see discplacement maps added to modeler, so that you could use the the system to create polygonal geometry. As an example of how I reckon it should work, say if you want to create a aged stone wall with all the asymmtery of the wall in geometry, at the moment you create a poly plane, toggle sub-ds and then take it into layout and the displacemnt to the sub-d geometry.

This is great until you start to render highly complex scenes, the subd calculation can often either take an age, or if you have alot of sub-ds, and can result in the render running out of ram for the calucalation (worse case).

By enabling the user to build displaced geometry in modeler you would give the user the ability to cut out altogether the sub-d calculation at render-time, when they are using displaced sub-ds or ccs, as they would be able to freeze the displaced sub-d geomtry in modeler. This would also give the user the ability to tidy the geometry if needed and add layered detail that could then be frozen to polygonal geometry, again if needed.

Further, adding displacement maps into modeler would give user a very powerful toolset for modeling, as you would be able to added all sorts of surface detail to models relatively easily, and very quickly create models the woul previously have taken alot of time to generate. Also if you are building projection mapped scenes the would give you very usable toolset for creating the projection mapping, giving the user the ability to easliy add higher definition to the projection mapping very easily.

I know normal mapping offers a way to add a lot of surface detail to a model without the need to actually creat the geometry. The problem with them is that as soon as you are close enough to model to see the edges, normal maps no longer present a real or accurate result, as they only affect the specular output.

There have been a few cases over the years where having the ability to create geometry from displaced sub-d geomtry has saved time. Equally there have been a number of times where i needed to have the ability to freeze the geometry in order to either tidy it up or to prevent renders for crashing.

just my 2 cents!!

Sensei
05-24-2013, 11:47 AM
That's what do TrueBump from TrueArt's Modeling Pack
http://www.trueart.eu

cg-qbit
05-25-2013, 05:06 AM
It does seem to do something similiar to what i am after,but doesn't have the range of functionality that adding the displacement functionality from layout into modeler would add. Also the true art toolset isn't mac compatible from what i could see meaning that only windows user would be able to use it. I have in the past been in studios that are mac only, and when you are working under embargo you can't create assests of site, or on your own machinery!.

Anothee benefit it could offer is the ablitilty to define sharpness of edges on the deformed geometry when you are working with CCs. Along side that i reckon we should also have the functionality of a tesselation preview for sub-d geometry so that you can see before you freeze, what your mesh is going to look like.

cg-qbit
05-25-2013, 05:27 AM
Also from what i could see, the true art tool wouldn't be easily used for projection mapping a scene, as it is a one shot tool. The benefit of having the diplacement tools for creating projection mapping is that you would be able affect the base geometry pushing/pulling polys, defining edge sharpness as you are building, all before you freeze.

cg-qbit
05-25-2013, 05:30 AM
sorry the true art tools are mac compatible!!

UnCommonGrafx
05-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Maybe look at Textured point on the map tab in modeler.

Other than that, hope what you speak of happens...

Edit: You do know about the saved transform function in layout, right? It allows you to save the model "as it has been transformed in layout" as a polygonal model? Isn't this what you are speaking of?

Edit2: Using the tools that are available in a vanilla installation will get you where you want to go.
Read up on how to use the Render Subpatch commands as they will offer you lots of what you speak to in combo with the above. I know that there is an APS saving utility somewhere such that your highly fined-tuned displacement in layout can be saved out with the save transform command.

cg-qbit
05-28-2013, 05:08 AM
I have used the save transformed funtion before. The issue with it is that you have a alot of too and fro, from modeler to layout and back tweaking and resaving to get to a final result, and you are still limited as to the functionality of what you can easily do. Its a half way house to what i am suggesting, as having this funtionality in modeler would give the user the ability to cut out alot of that too and fro, on top of which you open up a range of new functionality. Simply having the ability to work with CCs edge sharpness as you build the geometry that is to be displaced would give you the ability to add much defined detail to geometry you are creating. as an example when creating the stone wall, are trying to get a sharp edge on the stones, as they apppear in the image, currently when you use a displacement map you end up with comparitavely smoothed edges. With the fucntionality added in modeler you would be able to add edge sharpeness detail using CCs.