PDA

View Full Version : Scot Ross discusses the State of the VFX Industry at NAB (Video)

robertoortiz
05-22-2013, 07:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the most notable pioneers in digital media and entertainment, Scott Ross speaks about the state of the VFX Industry and where to go from here at the NAB SuperMeet.
http://vimeo.com/66487005

Darth Mole
05-23-2013, 02:57 AM
I saw him have a right old moan at FMX three years ago. Is this all he does now?

Ryan Roye
05-23-2013, 08:12 AM
They could have condensed the message in the timeframe of 15 minutes.

I agree with the percentage of profits idea, but I have a hard time believing that any company would ever agree to it given the fact that there's no real compelling reason to when there's such cheap labor readily available.

It seems to me that these guys also believe that the big screen is the only future for VFX when there's so many other avenues of publication out there.

I do like that they are advocating for people to speak out though, as it is not something the average VFX person is particularly good at doing.

dickbill
05-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes, Robert Downey Jr. said the same thing. They don't get it, they want their work to be paid for its true value, well, that's Marxism. You know the famous joke: 'Communism is the explotation of Man by Man and Capitalism is just the opposite'. And you can't do communism in the USA in a globalized world because it wouldn't be the USA anymore.
I have a 55 years old friend who is sort of bitter he spend so much of his time graduating in the US (computer engineering) PhD, then postdocting then unable to get a foothole in the academic, which he describes now as a scam. He reconverted into Project Managment and set his own bussiness himself as free a lance programmer or by hiring programmers offshore. Now he says he can't get any work because he has to compete with C# programmers from the Phillipines who take $2/hour.
Isn't it the same thing?
Any solution will fall either in the category of Communism or of Fachism.

dickbill
05-24-2013, 08:50 AM
I was being sarcastic, but i agree with chazriker.

VonBon
05-24-2013, 09:24 AM
The Creatives and the Engineers have to learn to take the risk together
instead of always relying on the Money Men to take the risk. That's why
the Money Men take all the money, their the only ones willing to take the
chance of failing or succeeding.

A Creative has an idea but it's hard for them to do anything with it if they
need an Engineer for some part of it. the Engineer can't or doesn't want to
see the potential in the vision of the Creative but that Money Man can and
is willing to take the risk. "Scared Money don't Make Money" also "Time is Money"

Creatives and Engineers need to learn to take "RISK". (together) :beerchug:

Netvudu
05-25-2013, 05:18 PM
I saw him have a right old moan at FMX three years ago. Is this all he does now?

Well, considering all the money he has he could stay at home just playing the guitar and donīt bother. Instead, he has decided to take active part in solving the big problem that affects all of us as VFX artists because he believes itīs worth it. I think he deserves a pat in the shoulder if not our biggest gratitude as opposed to being cynical about it, if you ask me.

Megalodon2.0
05-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Creatives and Engineers need to learn to take "RISK". (together) :beerchug:

I would agree - except - the guys who create the VFX don't have any REAL say in the script. It would be different if they ALL created it together, but the Money Men are the ones who DECIDE where their money goes. The VFX team is there to put the vision on the screen that was chosen by the Money Men.

No one KNOWS whether or not a script will be a hit or bomb - yet the VFX teams nearly ALWAYS deliver excellent VFX. They should be paid accordingly. Why is it that the VFX people are ALWAYS the last in the credits and after catering? Answer - because EVERYONE else is unionized and the VFX people aren't.

The problem isn't about risk, it's about greed at the top and not WANTING to be fair - the Money Men want to squeeze EVERY dime out of everyone in order to fill their pockets and they don't care if shops end up going bankrupt because of it. Ultimately it's they who are shooting themselves in the foot - one day they'll want a VFX movie made and will only want to pay NET points instead of money for services rendered. And of course we all know how Hollywood accounting works.... MOST movies lose money even after making millions at the box office. :dance:

djwaterman
05-25-2013, 07:29 PM
I normally don't agree with unions getting involved in creative services since it can become a jobs for the boys game and mediocrity can also become embedded, however since every other tier of the film industry is unionized then why not VFX also, those guys convinced me. I think there has to be a change in culture from our side as well, we have to start locking down shots at the very beginning of the contract and stick to it, no more of this over delivering to prove what superstars we are. Changing that mindset will be very hard, because we want to impress and show off.