PDA

View Full Version : From advanced Lightwave-user to game designer

oivind
05-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Hello there,

I am an advanced Lightwave-user and consider creating a 3D game demo, pitching it to potential buyers. What, from your point of view, would be the natural step to take and what software would you use developing that 3D game demo? I flat out admit to having no experience with game design, but intend to read up on the subject and get the demo done.

Any feedback appreciated.

shrox
05-19-2013, 10:42 PM
You should be very young, unmarried and willing to work 80+ hours a week.

50one
05-20-2013, 01:34 AM
You should be very young, unmarried and willing to work 80+ hours a week.

Quoted for agreement.

Danner
05-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Programming is a career, a complex one at that, it's not something you can "read up on". That being said Unity 3d is probably your best bet to make a simple game.

oivind
05-20-2013, 02:19 AM
That's a real fun and perhaps honest answer.

Just for the record: I am not in any way planning to go through with a full 3D game release by myself, but looking for a way to get involved with game-design, becoming part of a team releasing a specific and, I think, profitable 3D game. This would not be a major release from any of the dominating game houses, but possibly a community-funded project with a global, but limited market.

What I can bring to the table? The game idea, in-depth knowledge about the theme and visual style of the game, 3D modelling and animation, as well as experience as a professional photographer. I am currently working as a creative coordinator for a minor advertising agency. In addition I am well connected and do know the market for this particular release.

If I can't produce the demo on my own (which is quite possible!) I will animate the planned sequences and use that moving ahead with the project. I am just taking the very first steps and it will be interesting to see what kind of response I can get.

wesleycorgi
05-20-2013, 06:09 AM
I would concur on Unity3D. They have a free version, where you can use most of the key features. So you can learn how to bring in your own assets, etc. I've used it for simple games and arch viz. Within minutes, you can create and compile a real Mac, PC, or web-based app.

I believe there are also an Unreal and Cryengine SDKs that you can download for free.

SteveH
05-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Is there a reason you have to go the game route at all for this preliminary step? I would think a 3D animated trrailer that shows the basic premise and look of the game would suffice. Just a thought.

oivind
05-20-2013, 07:17 AM
I would concur on Unity3D. They have a free version, where you can use most of the key features. So you can learn how to bring in your own assets, etc. I've used it for simple games and arch viz. Within minutes, you can create and compile a real Mac, PC, or web-based app.

I believe there are also an Unreal and Cryengine SDKs that you can download for free.

Thank you very much, Sir! That was just the kind of concrete advice I was looking for - much appreciated!

oivind
05-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Is there a reason you have to go the game route at all for this preliminary step? I would think a 3D animated trrailer that shows the basic premise and look of the game would suffice. Just a thought.

I hope you are right, and presenting it that way would make for a demo very close to how I picture the final game. However, there will be concerns regarding copyright/storyline/gameplay. I would hate pitching the game to potential partners, only ending up having somebody saying «Thank you very much for that idea», snatching it before my eyes. However, that's another concern not really related to my initial post.

Anyway - I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you.

VonBon
05-20-2013, 09:28 AM
The Unreal engine has "Kismet" which is a way for people who can't code to get
code based functions in their game without actually writing code.

I myself am just looking into Unity 3D and not sure if it has something like Kismet.

I would write my Idea out first, as detailed as possible so a team can look at your
document and start working.

GandB
05-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Don't forget there are usually lots of free code bits (for various functions) running around the engine's relevant community; as well as commercial packages (low cost) that are tailored towards a certain genre of gameplay (ie., first-person, side-scroller, rts, etc.), for those who don't code.

WilliamVaughan
05-20-2013, 09:58 AM
I would Create a pitch package using the skills you have and start a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for a demo. That would afford you a proper team to create a playable version of the game.