http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/

Some interesting new features:

Fitting Room to convert your existing clothing and props to fit any figure*
Comic Book Preview Mode for color and B&W cartoon illustration and animation
Pixar Subdivision Surfaces for fast and efficient scene building
Bullet Physics for Soft Body Dynamics, Rigid Body and Hair
Morph Brush now supports Sag, Tighten and Loosen so clothing works better
Magnets and Deformers with Weight Maps for the ultimate precision

With Soft Body Dynamics, perhaps an alternative to Marvelous Designer?

safetyman
05-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Daz has had sub-d's for a while now, so it's nice to see Poser getting that. Seems like Smith Micro is slowly creeping up on some of the cooler Daz3D features. The addition of Bullet seems to be interesting also.

cresshead
05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
yeh, looks like a good update

the comic preview with persistent shading is a good advancement too.

Silkrooster
05-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Interesting...

safetyman
05-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Interestingly, Daz just released a new version of Studio. Seems like these two programs are neck and neck. This update has GoZ, 3D Bridge for Photoshop, updated FBX features, HDRI lighting with Ambient Occlusion, and a whole host of Content Creator Toolkit enhancements. Oh, and it's free.

hrgiger
05-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Man if Poser now has Pixar Open Subdiv we better be seeing that soon in LightWave.

jwiede
05-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Man if Poser now has Pixar Open Subdiv we better be seeing that soon in LightWave.
It's getting kind of ridiculous, particularly when you look at price points.

Rollie Hudson
06-04-2013, 12:51 PM
I've just gotten Poser Pro 2014 and it seems to be quite solid code on my 8 Core Mac Pro workstation. It is not crashing - which is a huge improvement for Poser... Previous versions of Poser Pro that I've used have been so buggy and crashy that I usually bail on them as professional apps... This version seems to be different under the hood. SmithMicro has yet to release the Poser Fusion interchange plug-in for Lightwave for this version (2014) but I've tried the Poser Pro 2012 interchange plug-in for Lightwave and it works with one exception, the figures (Poser models) come into Lightwave not-to-scale, probably about 70% smaller... Otherwise I'm getting quick, articulated character animations into Lightwave in a way I haven't been able to in the past. It's quite exciting actually. Also, the Poser Pro interchange plug-in allows one to simply take the attached models from the linked Poser Pro 2014 scene directly into Modeler and then save them as an already textured (tho not rigged) .lwo. From there, if one wants to mix and match animation packages, you can simply rig your model in Modeler with Genoma then animate the same character in Lightwave... This is a very, very powerful companion app to Lightwave 11.5. I'm really liking it so far.

wesleycorgi
06-04-2013, 01:58 PM
I've just gotten Poser Pro 2014 and it seems to be quite solid code on my 8 Core Mac Pro workstation. It is not crashing - which is a huge improvement for Poser... Previous versions of Poser Pro that I've used have been so buggy and crashy that I usually bail on them as professional apps... This version seems to be different under the hood.

Sounds promising. Be interested to know how their bullet dynamics with clothes on a character.

prometheus
06-05-2013, 07:27 AM
aha..finally poser seem to do some interesting things in the updates...which I felt was lacking for many versions.

interactive raytracer previewer sound good.

however..I donīt know if you could export to fbx from poser 2014? in daz you can and retaining bones which also can be edited by keyframe, in poser I suspect you have to rig with genoma or just use poser as the host without the option to edit in Lightwave?

Michael

Rollie Hudson
06-08-2013, 11:24 AM
No, it doesn't look like Poser Pro 2014 can export fbx files but you can do Walk Designer and other animations (et al) and export bvh motion capture files. You can then export (I'm finding the Collada format is working will when bringing it into Lightwave 11.5) that same object, rig it in Lightwave and apply the bvh mot cap files done in Poser. I have yet to fully do this as I have to rig it correctly in Modeler with Genoma and then apply weight maps to the bones etc in a way that the bvh files play nice with...

prometheus
06-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Im not sure I can see a big...this is why youīd go poser before daz really, I still have to try the new daz update.

I recall poser had better symmetry actions where you could pose arms or legs in unison so that once you move the left arm the right arm moves in sync too? I would like to have that for daz too.

Michael

Ma3rk
06-09-2013, 10:32 AM
SmithMicro has yet to release the Poser Fusion interchange plug-in for Lightwave for this version (2014) but I've tried the Poser Pro 2012 interchange plug-in for Lightwave and it works with one exception, the figures (Poser models) come into Lightwave not-to-scale, probably about 70% smaller... Otherwise I'm getting quick, articulated character animations into Lightwave in a way I haven't been able to in the past. It's quite exciting actually. Also, the Poser Pro interchange plug-in allows one to simply take the attached models from the linked Poser Pro 2014 scene directly into Modeler and then save them as an already textured (tho not rigged) .lwo.

I bought Poser Pro 2012 a few years ago primarily to see how well the interchange worked and was quite pleased with the results. I mainly just wanted to put figures into the BG of LW scenes. 2012 has a scaling issue too, but in looking at an imported scene just now, it's now where near what it used to be. I used to set the Poser Scene properties in LW to 256%, but now it's probably only needing to get set to 85%.

Poser's still awkward trying to animate in with their editor, but as you mentioned you can save out non-rigged but textured characters out as LWO's. I believe there's an example or two in the LW content for 11.5 in fact with a Genoma rig using the Andy2 Poser character.

I doubt if they've fixed it yet but with 2012, the Poser characters don't full respect LW's motion blur settings. Anything below 100% won't blur at all, so if you have a scene mixed with LW objects and Poser ones, you can't use lower blur settings. Might be worthwhile to test in 2014.

You can of course export DAZ figures into Poser, but I still haven't figured out how to go directly from a DAZ animation to Poser and then subsequently to LW.

I recently stumbled onto that Bryce can do volumetric clouds and probably the best I've ever seen. Only problem is that they are seriously render intensive and really requires knowing it's texture editor, but the results are probably worth they effort. You can't export the Bryce scene and retain the volumetrics that I've found anyway, but creating a background image is still viable.

prometheus
06-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I bought Poser Pro 2012 a few years ago primarily to see how well the interchange worked and was quite pleased with the results. I mainly just wanted to put figures into the BG of LW scenes. 2012 has a scaling issue too, but in looking at an imported scene just now, it's now where near what it used to be. I used to set the Poser Scene properties in LW to 256%, but now it's probably only needing to get set to 85%.

Poser's still awkward trying to animate in with their editor, but as you mentioned you can save out non-rigged but textured characters out as LWO's. I believe there's an example or two in the LW content for 11.5 in fact with a Genoma rig using the Andy2 Poser character.

I doubt if they've fixed it yet but with 2012, the Poser characters don't full respect LW's motion blur settings. Anything below 100% won't blur at all, so if you have a scene mixed with LW objects and Poser ones, you can't use lower blur settings. Might be worthwhile to test in 2014.

You can of course export DAZ figures into Poser, but I still haven't figured out how to go directly from a DAZ animation to Poser and then subsequently to LW.

I recently stumbled onto that Bryce can do volumetric clouds and probably the best I've ever seen. Only problem is that they are seriously render intensive and really requires knowing it's texture editor, but the results are probably worth they effort. You can't export the Bryce scene and retain the volumetrics that I've found anyway, but creating a background image is still viable.

aha..showcase of the best volumetric clouds youve seen? image links?
As always..even if you use ozone for lightwave, ogo taiki for lightwave, or hypervoxels for lightwave clouds..youīll end up with computer intensive stuff, thereīs always room for quality settings and small tricks within all these tools to get faster renders though.

If ozone were interactive with VPR when tweaking and if it had access to the density noise functions, and the cloud detail settings that is missing... then I would really look in to it, but thatīs not the case..it is missing to much from what is actually inside of vue.

hereīs some testings with voxels..just initial test, needs lot of improvements, itīs a spinnoff from my gatherin scene
(http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135874-Gathering&p=1325552#post1325552)

..do take note of the daz figure walking as scale reference:)
Ivé noticed that the sk_sun doesnīt cast shadows when used with hypervoxels, so in this case I switched to dome light, not sure if I am missing some setting or so..have to check with denis about that.

Cloud and shadow test with hvīs and particles..W.I.P
http://vimeo.com/67990100

Ma3rk
06-09-2013, 11:24 PM
aha..showcase of the best volumetric clouds youve seen? image links?
As always..even if you use ozone for lightwave, ogo taiki for lightwave, or hypervoxels for lightwave clouds..youīll end up with computer intensive stuff, thereīs always room for quality settings and small tricks within all these tools to get faster renders though.

Well, start here: http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

and take a look at some of the vol cloud tutorials. He's selling a series of cloudscapes as well of course. The tut's are pretty fast as he's assuming a familiarity with the Deep Texture Editor

... and then just poke around for more of his (David Brinnen) stuff on Youtube.

Are the ogo taiki plug-ins available? Saw his stuff years ago but all the links were expired demos.

M.

prometheus
06-10-2013, 06:08 AM
Well, start here: http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

and take a look at some of the vol cloud tutorials. He's selling a series of cloudscapes as well of course. The tut's are pretty fast as he's assuming a familiarity with the Deep Texture Editor

... and then just poke around for more of his (David Brinnen) stuff on Youtube.

Are the ogo taiki plug-ins available? Saw his stuff years ago but all the links were expired demos.

M.

I think ogo taiki is still there.

a few of the images from david brinnen or what I saw on youtube are quite nice,but not the best Ive seen, think you could do better with vue, think it also seems slow compared to even some voxel stuff
or vue. (depends on what computer he is using too of course)

Ivé been experimenting with godrays and clouds inside of lightwave without cloud plugins, only hypervoxels and volumetric lights and dp_sunsky.
I still have to get better clouds, we could have pretty decent ones if they put a cloud layers in there instead of using just particles as I did here, hard to avoid round puffs.

cloud animation sample to test motion, needs a lot tweaking on the clouds though..
https://vimeo.com/67990100

Ma3rk
06-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I wasn't able to find the specific examples of Brinnen's clouds that I was thinking of for some reason. I watched quite a few and might have been in with an entirely different topic. It was a very nice towering sculpted Cumulus. Even so, when I threw together a quick starter scene in Bryce (once I discovered it's volumetric cloud slab function), it was easy to see the potential.

I could never get Vue to do decent volumetrics but that was a very old version. I'll have to snoop around and see what's up with ogo taiki. Ozone was interesting as it integrated with LW pretty well, but still looked a lot like the Vue versions. Considering that Bryce 7.1 is still being given away, vs what Vue is charging these days, that's incentive to dig into learning it's DTE.

Your clouds look quite nice and more impressive that you used hypervoxels. How hideous are your render times though?

Don't suppose you have any starting point tutorials or such?

I know what you mean about the round puffs. I did an h'omage piece a couple years ago of the old RKO tower logo and was battling with that. I had no idea how to actually sculpt hypervoxels into the shape I needed so simply did them in sections that worked, rendered out stills, then combined the parts & did subtle movement & distortion in After Effects. A big cheat, but isn't most of it?

prometheus
06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
I wasn't able to find the specific examples of Brinnen's clouds that I was thinking of for some reason. I watched quite a few and might have been in with an entirely different topic. It was a very nice towering sculpted Cumulus. Even so, when I threw together a quick starter scene in Bryce (once I discovered it's volumetric cloud slab function), it was easy to see the potential.

I could never get Vue to do decent volumetrics but that was a very old version. I'll have to snoop around and see what's up with ogo taiki. Ozone was interesting as it integrated with LW pretty well, but still looked a lot like the Vue versions. Considering that Bryce 7.1 is still being given away, vs what Vue is charging these days, that's incentive to dig into learning it's DTE.

Your clouds look quite nice and more impressive that you used hypervoxels. How hideous are your render times though?

Don't suppose you have any starting point tutorials or such?

I know what you mean about the round puffs. I did an h'omage piece a couple years ago of the old RKO tower logo and was battling with that. I had no idea how to actually sculpt hypervoxels into the shape I needed so simply did them in sections that worked, rendered out stills, then combined the parts & did subtle movement & distortion in After Effects. A big cheat, but isn't most of it?

I think the 1536x700 res image with hypervoxels and volumetric lights took 20 min, depending on quality settings..I could spit it out at 9 min too..thatīs actually faster I think than what vue could do when I tested it...on a faster machine.

I think I had a very high light sample at 8, minimum aa at 3 or 4, also the volumetric light had medium quality jittered sample for the godrays.

Hypervoxels had all the slow render options such as full volumetric and textured shadow, the textured shadow slows down a lot, but is really neccessary to get good lighting going on..especially at the edges of clouds, you canīt fake that with gradients and get the same good look.

I always use a local density gradient on the dissolve channel to smooth clouds out.

The hypervoxels on these images are used on a 12 km particle emitter flat plane, and they are fully animatable if you
would like so by setting a velocity x,z direction or use fractal textures to drive that.
I also used a fractal texture to in particle birth rate to set the overall density cover.

I have often used the world coordinates option for hypervoxels, for stills, that gives a more realistic spread of the hypervoxels, but that wonīt work if you would like to animate them, if you do use that with animated particles..you wil end up with a hypertexture not moving properly.

so this was used on particle field with quite large partice size..
another technique you could use, thatīs a large subpatch grid and use smaller size to create a volumetric grid and apply hv on vertices to get a smooth solid volume grid and then use density fractals on to that to cut out the density and shape of the cloud.

if you want to shape point clusters, you could use the fill solid command, it is hidden and you need to locate it under edit menu and place it under letīs say create tab.
you can sculpt a mesh looking like a cloud or use spheres, then run the fill solid command and it will fill your mesh with points.

I have also tried using turbulenceFD which is also promising, here you could use two techniques, either sculpt your mesh as a cloud object in modeler, then simple use that to fill it as a fluid, then add grid noise, I have a scene sample of that posted somewhere.

or you could simulate fluids from surface texture on a ground plaene...or simulate from objectīs normals and then
freeze the simulation.

I think I have covered the basics about all that in another thread somewhere..have to locate them.

prometheus
06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
by the way, the problem with vue clouds are the fractal noise itself, you have to be careful and select the right scale and fractal for it, only a few preset cloud layers were good, and in ozone the option to edit fractals are missing, plus you canīt tweak it with VPR active ..thus not an option for me, then the spectral 2 layers are very slow, ozone also misses the vue cloud detail tab which was essential I think.

Terragen clouds are designed for clouds, those are showing the best cloud fractals..but, ui and render times destroys it all.

Skytracer can be tucked away, you canīt get godrays ..nor even get it to cast shadows from the clouds on the ground.

ogo taiki most promizing except for all quality settings there were and the UI, and the air/sky setup.
if it was as simple as dpont_sunsky to set up the air, and then just use ogo taiki infinite cloud layers..that would be something...if it also were 5-10 times faster

Michael

Ma3rk
06-10-2013, 06:32 PM
if you want to shape point clusters, you could use the fill solid command, it is hidden and you need to locate it under edit menu and place it under letīs say create tab.
you can sculpt a mesh looking like a cloud or use spheres, then run the fill solid command and it will fill your mesh with points.

This is in Modeler?

prometheus
06-10-2013, 07:56 PM
This is in Modeler?

yes in modeler, go to edit menu, search for solid, then it should highlight it, drag it to your create tab under points section..I would suggest.

Michael

See images, P.s ...I think FillSolid was introduced around lw 10.03 or so.
just sphere shapes to show you, but you can use any sculpted geometry..take a note of that heavy meshes might freeze your computer though.

Also..when you click on fill solid it might seem that nothing happen, so use wireframe mode to see it properly, you can click several times to fill with more points since it has no setting for how much it adds to the fill.

nice addition..but we also need improved hypervoxels, modo has implemented some nice stuff...and afterburner for max has been used for some very nice cloud stuff..including matrix clouds and explosions.
afterburner does have a much smoother blend to avoid round density shapes from each particle or point, and thatīs something I would like to have too inside of hvīs

I suspect the king of them all would be houdini in terms of clouds though, I suspect we will see some of that with the upcoming man of steel.

the lightwave team should seriously take a look at openVDB too.

Michael

safetyman
06-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Im not sure I can see a big...this is why youīd go poser before daz really, I still have to try the new daz update.

I recall poser had better symmetry actions where you could pose arms or legs in unison so that once you move the left arm the right arm moves in sync too? I would like to have that for daz too.

Michael

A little late with this, sorry, but Daz does have a symmetry option, and although it's not realtime, it has a lot of options to get what you want pose-wise.

prometheus
06-11-2013, 07:05 AM
A little late with this, sorry, but Daz does have a symmetry option, and although it's not realtime, it has a lot of options to get what you want pose-wise.

Yes..but thatīs what I said in my post, Im aware of the symmetry options..but as I mentioned it doesnīt pose in sync at the same time, you have to first pose one arm, then go to the right arm and mirror pose, in poser I recall it being able to pose both arms by having symmetry on for both sides at once.

Michael