PDA

View Full Version : Image Control Tool

FAP
05-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Hello everyone.
I have a question, I want to make a 3D character, but I want their mouths are drawings. I can not find an effective way to change the texture image in the layout. I would be free to change the image of the mouth in any frame and not have to make a sequence in a program abroad.
Is it possible to do what I want? My character could have more than 50 mouths, need an effective tool, such as sliders.

A greeting and thanks.

I feel my English. I used google translator.

Lightwolf
05-17-2013, 06:56 AM
If you excuse the plug, this is what frameD has been designed for: http://framed.db-w.com - it's commercial though and the approach is a little different (mimicking dope sheets from traditional cel animation).

Cheers,
Mike

FAP
05-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Uooo! I did not know of its existence!
Is there a demonstration of how it works in video?
Does it work in real time on the layout?

Lightwolf
05-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Uooo! I did not know of its existence!
Is there a demonstration of how it works in video?
There's no tutorial video by us. However, Ernest Chan from Nickelodeon showed it at a LW UG meeting and that was recorded: http://db-w.com/products/framed/videos

Does it work in real time on the layout?
The image "sequences" you create are loaded into LW like it would load an animation (i.e. a quicktime). However, you can edit the sequence in the editor while scrubbing through layout - and as soon as you save the sequence from the editor, it will be refreshed in Layout.

You can also load audio into Layout and sync the editor playback with the Layout playback... this allows you to scrub and play in Layout, with audio, while the frameD editor shows the matching frame of the sequence you're editing.

Also, since the "sequences" are just text files pointing at images, none of your source PNGs will be duplicated.

Cheers,
Mike

nickdigital
05-17-2013, 09:07 AM
As Lightwolf said, frameD is exactly what you need.

Here's the thread with the initial product launch. There's more information in there as to what frameD is capable of.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129693-AD-db-amp-w-release-frameD-for-LightWave-3D

If it helps, I'm the one who did the demo at the LWUG meeting.

Greenlaw
05-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the info! I was not aware of this tool--will definitely look into it the next time I want to do this type of mouth gag.

FYI, in Happy Box, we used Magpie Pro to generate animated 2D mouth shape sequences with alpha channel based on a given shot's audio track, and simply loaded this a texture map on head shaped object for render and compositing. Even with the constant crashing I had to deal with at the time, the process was very fast (thank goodness!) You should be able to output the same data from any 3D program with lipsync tools, like Toon Boom Animate, CrazyTalk, or even the free Papagayo. If your program can't generate an alpha, try setting up the images for chromakeying.

We're using a similar technique for 'B2' but with inverted 3D shapes, and possibly using Magpie Pro again--but now I'm getting off-topic. :)

G.

jwiede
05-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Yep, Frame-D is designed for just this kind of work, and does an excellent job at it. Great value for price as well, IMO, I highly recommend it (and all the other db-w plugins)!

FAP
05-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, but in the end I found a solution.

I have linked one to a master channel slider to control an image with all the drawings (Spritesheet). Then I created an expression to go from one image to another. And the result is very good and visually.

Greenlaw
05-19-2013, 12:07 PM
So you mean a large page of graphics is being offset with the slider to reveal a specific graphic? That's very simple and pretty cool. :)

G.

Greenlaw
05-26-2013, 03:36 AM
...in Happy Box, we used Magpie Pro to generate animated 2D mouth shape sequences with alpha channel based on a given shot's audio track, and simply loaded this a texture map on head shaped object for render and compositing. Even with the constant crashing I had to deal with at the time, the process was very fast (thank goodness!)

I know this is OT but Magpie Pro's developer sent me a new build the other day and the crashing problem has been fixed. Yay! :)

probiner
05-26-2013, 06:29 AM
I have had some crashes with it when using it but it seems to do what you're saying:
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/nodes/Shaders.html#ImageMap

Cheers