PDA

View Full Version : Are certain decor themes a faux pas?

shrox
05-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Are Nazi themed designs like jets, spacecraft, etc generally verboten in the public's mind of acceptable imagery?

bazsa73
05-14-2013, 01:07 AM
never mind

stiff paper
05-14-2013, 01:54 AM
If you're making a movie that has actual Nazis in it, then people generally expect those actual Nazis to have actual Nazi things and nobody would think that was strange.

If you're talking about going down to the store because you forgot to get milk, and you decide that you won't bother changing out of the genuine SS Officer's uniform that you normally wear when you're lounging about the house... that's... something else. There are some names for that.

You can use Nazi imagery for shock value (c.f. the original punk movement in the UK) but even that holds to the idea that you shouldn't use it in an unconsciously frivolous and casual way. It's a touchy subject. For good reasons. In fact, referring to it as a "Decor theme" is either a) blackly humorous, or b) wrong.

djwaterman
05-14-2013, 02:47 AM
If by NAZI themed you mean sticking a Swastika on it, well that's blatantly what it is. If however you mean having that look of German WWII uniforms, helmets, architecture and battle craft, then look at Star Wars and S&M or Butch gay culture, they have no problem with it. It was always generally held even during the war that the Nazis had the best uniforms, you can't really say a style or look is evil, but there is always going to be that association so you have to at least be aware of it. But sadly that beautiful swastika has forever been defiled by Hitler, it was one of the great geometric designs before he used it.

MarcusM
05-14-2013, 04:00 AM
Swastika definetly is recognized not nice and use this in 3d art should have very good reasons. As a curious, propalby you don't heard but before WWII, on few polish orders was swastika shape.
About uniforms, look on this polish examples:
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:Podporucznicy_piechota_1933.png
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:%C5%BBo%C5%82nierz_81_pp..jpg

Shrox ask about germans military designs from WWII period. In my opinion it is interesting, all this secret projects etc.

Kaptive
05-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Loosely related, but having viewed the Captain America movie, I found it very questionable that the swastika wasn't shown at all (except one very brief shot on someones arm band I think).
It seemed like a very strange choice.

Would I be right in guessing that you are asking this question in relation to rocket design Shrox? (Having read a reply of yours in another thread about that)

I think as MarcusM says, if it is kind of like an uncovered secret Nazi project, such as the "Nazi Flying Saucer" ...or like Iron Sky having a Nazi base on the moon etc. ....personally, I can't see the big deal. It would really come down to context, and whether there is a counter balance to it. e.g. Having a Goody rocket and a baddy rocket.

shrox
05-14-2013, 10:53 AM
I mean jets, spacecraft and ship. Machines.

TalleyJC
05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Well Branding is the problem. The german military obviously existed before hitler, many part of long standing prussian military families. The Wehrmacht was made up of the the army (Heer), navy (Kriegsmarine), the air force (Luftwaffe). By definition the Wehrmacht was to have no political affiliations. (Which makes sense as a military continues to exist as differing political groups enter and leave power). The SS of course was Party centric. All that said, the insignia carried by tanks aircraft etc were not Nazi with the exception of the Swastika. When you think of an Me109 you think of the large crosses on the wings and fusalage, with the small swastika on the tail. These were separate markings now all lumped together in the same way as the pilots that flew them.

shrox
05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Well Branding is the problem. The german military obviously existed before hitler, many part of long standing prussian military families. The Wehrmacht was made up of the the army (Heer), navy (Kriegsmarine), the air force (Luftwaffe). By definition the Wehrmacht was to have no political affiliations. (Which makes sense as a military continues to exist as differing political groups enter and leave power). The SS of course was Party centric. All that said, the insignia carried by tanks aircraft etc were not Nazi with the exception of the Swastika. When you think of an Me109 you think of the large crosses on the wings and fusalage, with the small swastika on the tail. These were separate markings now all lumped together in the same way as the pilots that flew them.

I mean a totally fictional spacecraft, jet, ships, vending machine or whatever. Is the Nazi swastika a no-no? I am designing a model rocket for sale, and I was thinking decorating it like a fictional experimental craft the Luftwaffe might have made. I don't want to put people off. Some people are like that. And there is the reality of it. I recently saw a elder woman with a number tattooed on her wrist, I knew immediately what it was. That's what made me wonder about using a Nazi motif.

TalleyJC
05-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Just create different map packs for it... some fictional, some real there's a market for everything. Just remember that any decision or statement is guaranteed to piss of 1/2 the people. Use russian star or hammer and people get pissed, use u.s. star and stripes and people get pissed, use a cross or a star of david - It just won't matter. You may even piss people of by not having a map pack for luxembourg.

Spinland
05-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Depends on your target market to some degree, too, I'd think. IIRC at least one WWII combat flight sim had to have a swastika-free texture pack for the German aircraft to be legal in Germany.

shrox
05-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Just create different map packs for it... some fictional, some real there's a market for everything. Just remember that any decision or statement is guaranteed to piss of 1/2 the people. Use russian star or hammer and people get pissed, use u.s. star and stripes and people get pissed, use a cross or a star of david - It just won't matter. You may even piss people of by not having a map pack for luxembourg.

People love old Soviet Union imagery and symbols, at least "young" fashionable people do. People have fun with it too, a great play on the hammer and sickle was a martini glass and sickle for a bar logo.

Depends on your target market to some degree, too, I'd think. IIRC at least one WWII combat flight sim had to have a swastika-free texture pack for the German aircraft to be legal in Germany.

Yes, I'd thought about that. I am mainly looking for a pre Skunkworks equivalent. I have thought of making up something Avengers like, I call it the Atomic Eagle Bureau.

shrox
05-14-2013, 04:39 PM
OK, I am going to include it as an option, but it's going to be a very dark, evil option.

The Kitty Hitler Troops.

shrox
05-14-2013, 09:52 PM
I succumbed to self-pressure and caved, I didn't use it.

djwaterman
05-15-2013, 01:28 AM
I think wise decision Shrox, but those emblems are just military ones. In any case, compromise might force you to design your own better emblems.