PDA

View Full Version : Intel HD 4000 graphics okay?

2create
05-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Hi All,

Thinking of getting a small portable laptop and wondered if anyone had experience using Lightwave 3D on the integrated Intel HD 4000? Is the performance okay, selections, sub-d, quad view etc? as it'd open up a lot more laptop possibilities :)

Thanks!

JonW
05-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Read post #24. I don't know if this is the same graphics but a small portable might have problems. It's not looking good here!

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135421-Entire-Program-Flickering-During-Use/page2

2create
05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks JonW, I had a dell that had optimus tech for nvidia/intel graphics switching (with intel HD 3000) and no matter what I did I couldn't get the laptop to run OpenGL in lightwave without errors, probably should take that as a sign, was kind of hoping the newer intel 4000 gfx was more stable, probably best to play it safe and get something dedicated.

geo_n
05-14-2013, 06:03 PM
It works fine on desktop intel I7 ivy bridge. As fast as a lowend gfx card, which is enough for lightwave :D

Areyos Alektor
05-18-2013, 06:36 PM
The problem with Intel is the drivers. And they are bad in Open-GL. From one version to the other is not the same functions which work properly. It's better to look on the Nvidia for CUDA or AMD for OpenCL. For the performance it's correct but for a laptop at affordable price I advise you an Intel processor and an AMD GPU.

dwburman
05-19-2013, 12:56 PM
LightWave doesn't use OpenCL or CUDA yet, but it's still probably a safer choice to get a dedicated GPU rather than Intel's integrated ones.

Areyos Alektor
05-19-2013, 04:05 PM
LightWave not but other software Yes ;)

Software at Adobe use the open-GL, the OpenCL and Cuda. Sony Vegas Pro operates very well the OpenCL (Preview, effects, rendering). And we could speak lots of other examples. On a laptop is far from being negligible, particularly if we are adept of multitasking :)