PDA

View Full Version : mpeg encoding in toaster

tjaglinski
11-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Is there a plugin available that will enabel realtime mpeg2 encoding through the capture device for Vid Toaster 3?

Jim_C
11-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Encoding .. No.
You can play mpeg2 thru the Toaster if you dload a number of players such as Moonlight Elecard Mpeg2 player.

tjaglinski
11-10-2003, 06:09 AM
That stinks! You would think that with this "do all" device, it would encode to mpeg2.

djlithium
11-10-2003, 10:24 AM
I know of no software based realtime MPEG2 encoding application.
Anytime you see someone doing realtime mpeg2 encoding its done using onboard (usually the capture card itself) MPEG1/2/4 encoding chips.

The toaster card is simply an uncompresed i/o audio and video card with internal TBCs. No encoding is done in the card itself.

Encoding to MPEG2 directly from the Toaster would be possible if NewTek licensed an MPEG2 codec from another vendor or wrote their own. The increase in cost for this would be slight, but for most people the 39 bucks they could spend on TMPEGEnc which reads T3 AVI projects gets the job done and includes batch capabilities. In addition, the NewTek project AVI loaders can be installed on another system, and you can use that system to encode your material instead of the VT3 which can be kept busy editing.

Rob222
11-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Roxio 6 installs Mpeg 1 and 2 codecs into Windows Media Player which is recognized in VT[3]. Unfortunately when using those codecs to convert video the output file's extension is always changed to .AVI and it locks up about 26 frames into the conversion. Imagine my excitement when I saw the codecs listed in the capture and conversion panel and my disappointment when they didn't work.

"So close, and yet so far!"

ted
11-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by tjaglinski
That stinks! You would think that with this "do all" device, it would encode to mpeg2.

Well guys, you want to explain to this guy what VT can do that other systems can't, especially considering the price, or do I gotta take him out to the woodshed?

There's always something more a product can do to meet our particular needs, and requesting it is fine, but...oh nevermind. I doubt you'd get it.:confused:

Rich Deustachio
11-13-2003, 02:01 PM

It would be nice to have MPEG2 rendering right from VTedit, but most of are using TMPGEnc to encode to MPEG2, it's only about $50 bucks and works great. Although it takes many hours for a long form encoding job, the quality is very high. You can import your project right into it from VT3.

Jim_C
11-13-2003, 02:15 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I'll have to admit that I was a little mad when I found out it wouldn't do my taxes, laundry or the dishes.
But then I realized it dodn't say anything about that in any literature either.

-------

"Roxio 6 installs Mpeg 1 and 2 codecs into Windows Media Player which is recognized in VT[3]. "

Be careful NOT to install the DirectCD packet writing with Roxio. There are some who would say don't install Roxio at all.
http://www.videotoasternt.com/forums/read.cgi?26837

johnq
11-13-2003, 03:07 PM
The VT3 avi wrapper works with Adobe Encore, so it is possible to go right into DVD authoring by simply loading this file in Encore. I found that the Main Concept MPEG2 CODEC in Encore is very good. The feature in TMPGEnc I sometimes really need is the Noise Filter option. According to the TMPGEnc docs, this filter is like a blur and is very effective when I am doing pan-and-scan of stills and it brings out the most in some DVEs. I noticed the stand-alone version of the Main Concept MPEG encoder has a blur or noise filter also (but costs well over $100). Otherwise, I think the Main Concept MPEG CODEC in Encore is very good.

John