PDA

View Full Version : Learning Rigging in 10.1

restif
05-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi,

I am aiming to learn rigging and general character set up in Lightwave, as well as retexturing, using fiber FX for hair etc. I have been using Carrara for a long time but as I aim towards doing character animation, I keep seeing all my wished for tools in LW. I was thinking of using the Victoria 4 mesh and then rig it/texture it etc in LW. I have 10.1 and may upgrade to 11.5. As far as character setup, do those of you who are familiar with both suggest I upgrade before starting my project or move forward in 10.1?

OnlineRender
05-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I think in terms of rigging 10.1 will do you fine if you need automatic generated rigs 11.5 will be more efficient but I still think you need to learn rigging from the ground up , if you need a quick rig you can take a generic rig from a bvh file direct into modeler.
I will say however 11.5 runs rings around V10 in several aspects and probably is worth the upgrade , but I have no idea what the future plans from LW3DG v12 might be around the corner or in a year or so ... it really is upto you

Ma3rk
05-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I am aiming to learn rigging and general character set up in Lightwave, as well as retexturing, using fiber FX for hair etc. I have been using Carrara for a long time but as I aim towards doing character animation, I keep seeing all my wished for tools in LW. I was thinking of using the Victoria 4 mesh and then rig it/texture it etc in LW. I have 10.1 and may upgrade to 11.5. As far as character setup, do those of you who are familiar with both suggest I upgrade before starting my project or move forward in 10.1?

Don't think you can go wrong digging in and learn the inner workings slash under the hood stuff of rigging either way. You're not gonna have to unlearn anything to make the jump to 11.5. You may find it more bother than it's worth migrating DAZ geometry that needs to deform into LW frankly. As you see, it always ends up highly poly'd. I do have PoserPro and find that for quick & dirty stuff it integrates with LW quite well... as long as you realize the limitations.

Genoma's got some attractive features but I still found I still couldn't get it to do what I wanted. I'm sure it's doable but I'm missing some fundamental concept working with the available components.

Anyway, I'm restudying the Rhiggit Pro vids as RH really goes into the why's & hows. There are a couple basic tools and plug-ins that he fortunately shows how to use as there's no documentation on them anywhere that I could find. That's partially due to the farcical search engine the Forum has been hobbled with though too but let's not get started on that.

M.

restif
05-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes, I have heard the Daz geometry is pretty thick in LW or most other programs. I have Poser Pro and did use it for getting my character in LW for a render. Since I would like things to be a natively as possible in LW for animation, I will plan on studying some. As for meshes to bring into LW other than DAZ, any good meshes not costing an arm and leg. I've tried working with make human but I am either not good at working with those or they just don't suit what I want. Don't mind going to Turbosquid for a character mesh. I know I won't build one from scratch just now, still have lots to learn. But I do think I could get a 'lighter' character mesh to bring in and modify in LW and Zbrush. Suggestions on any particular character model / mesh?

OnlineRender
05-11-2013, 02:36 PM
if you want some rigs / meshes to play around with http://lightwiki.com/downloads there is some quality stuff there I personally love the DAN & Stewie stuff

chikega
05-11-2013, 07:27 PM
I would seriously consider purchasing Lino Grandi's Rigging Revealed tutorial. It was done in LW 10.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave-training/

I'm going through the tutorial myself in LW 11.5 and I'm learning a ton of stuff. Plus, not much has changed since LW 10 - at least not the basics of rigging, which is always good to know before jumping into the automated rigging like Genoma or RHiggit. After going through Rigging Revealed, I'm going to learn more about rigging through RebelHill ... his theoretical knowledge of LW rigging is second to none.

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhr

restif
05-11-2013, 11:25 PM
I would seriously consider purchasing Lino Grandi's Rigging Revealed tutorial. It was done in LW 10.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave-training/

I'm going through the tutorial myself in LW 11.5 and I'm learning a ton of stuff. Plus, not much has changed since LW 10 - at least not the basics of rigging, which is always good to know before jumping into the automated rigging like Genoma or RHiggit. After going through Rigging Revealed, I'm going to learn more about rigging through RebelHill ... his theoretical knowledge of LW rigging is second to none.

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhr

Thanks, I will definitely look into these! I agree that I would benefit form learning rigging ground up before taking advantage of automated rigging. I want to know more than just how to 'push a button' so to speak. I would expect that every character will have its own challenges and I want to know the theory behind rigging so I can solve the problems. From here, it does look a bit overwhelming, but this forum has been a great resource.

Spinland
05-12-2013, 05:01 AM
I also very highly recommend Lino's tutorial video set. Incredible amount of high-value information!

Kryslin
05-15-2013, 09:54 AM
There was mention of a small program that reversed catmull-clark subdivision on an object. Granted, it only works with .obj file, and you'll need to split the object up (multiple mesh objects in one obj file - eyes, teeth, fingernails, hair, etc. - confuse it), but it did work wonderfully on some very dense objects, extracting the cage mesh with a little work, and then saving that. It was a little expensive, but it does the job.

chikega
05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
I know what you're talking about Kryslin ... but I forget the name of it myself.

restif
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
There was mention of a small program that reversed catmull-clark subdivision on an object. Granted, it only works with .obj file, and you'll need to split the object up (multiple mesh objects in one obj file - eyes, teeth, fingernails, hair, etc. - confuse it), but it did work wonderfully on some very dense objects, extracting the cage mesh with a little work, and then saving that. It was a little expensive, but it does the job.

Thanks for the info.