PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Motion Capture witk Ik_booster! (with test files).

dmind
05-11-2013, 04:44 AM
The tutorial/demonstration:http://youtu.be/uGRqrydOmV0
The bvh file and one model(Daz) for test: http://www.dgmind.com/objects/dgmind_mocap.zip

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WCIYhcrCQrw/UY4NbDlKJ5I/AAAAAAAAAMw/h-GnesuftGg/s640/patricia.jpg

bobakabob
05-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Thanks for posting. Very impressive mocap work. Could you explain the advantage of adding IK Boost to the workflow? I've never used it before in working with bvh and am not too familiar with it. Sorry if I've missed something blindingly obvious :)

dmind
05-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks for posting. Very impressive mocap work. Could you explain the advantage of adding IK Boost to the workflow? I've never used it before in working with bvh and am not too familiar with it. Sorry if I've missed something blindingly obvious :)

Ik_booster is an advanced system of bones (can be used with genoma). It can save and load animation files from complete skeletons very easily. Also you can apply physics to the bones, among other things. In Lightwave content files there is a lot of samples.

wesleycorgi
05-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Always love your work. Thanks for sharing --- nice use of older LW features with the new stuff.

CaptainMarlowe
05-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Well, very interesting. Since hoem-based motion capture is not very developed on mac, and the only one solution I know to work with a kinect on mac only outputs bvh files (www.fastmocap.com), your tutorial is indeed very interesting...

OFF
05-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks dmind!

Megalodon2.0
05-11-2013, 10:10 PM
I see you used (what looks like) an Optitrack setup with MotionBuilder.

Is there any way to avoid MotionBuilder and just use the BVH direct from the Optitrack software?

geo_n
05-11-2013, 11:54 PM
I think the best option now is have a genoma rig be adapted by most of these motion capture appz natively like how 3dmax biped is supported natively and we never have to do anything through motionbuilder.
This is interesting new mocap app that is windows and mac. No lightwave support though.
http://www.fastmocap.com/buy.php

dmind
05-12-2013, 05:17 AM
I see you used (what looks like) an Optitrack setup with MotionBuilder.

Is there any way to avoid MotionBuilder and just use the BVH direct from the Optitrack software?

I import the bvh directly into Lightwave, without Motion Builder. The idea of ​​this tutorial is to demonstrate that Motion Builder is not necessary.
(you can test it importing the BVH in layout and adding bones to the rig).

dmind
05-12-2013, 05:29 AM
I think the best option now is have a genoma rig be adapted by most of these motion capture appz natively like how 3dmax biped is supported natively and we never have to do anything through motionbuilder.
This is interesting new mocap app that is windows and mac. No lightwave support though.
http://www.fastmocap.com/buy.php

This technique can be used with Genoma, one must take into account some things, such as creating a skeleton with names identical to those created by the BVH. Once done, it works exactly the same way. The advantage is that you can modify and adjust the bones in the model much more easily using the Modeler for it and you will have all advantages of Genoma in the rig setup.
Here you can see a quick example we published some time ago:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=620696827944994

tyrot
05-12-2013, 07:28 AM
digitalmind thank you for this tutorial! all we need a decent easytouse motion mixer..

Lewis
05-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Interesting, so in this case IKB helped/did some kind of Retargeting ?

silviotoledo
05-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for sharing this amazing tutorial!

dreamtracing
06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
THX 4 yr amazing tutorial ^~< !

cresshead
06-24-2013, 02:45 PM
cool vid! roll on siggraph 2013 !

photoguy1278
06-24-2013, 04:16 PM
This is really great. Did the high poly count get in the way of deformations at all?

Ryan Roye
06-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Awesome demo! It's good to see some new IKBooster-related content out there!

Thanks for posting. Very impressive mocap work. Could you explain the advantage of adding IK Boost to the workflow?

Other benefits in addition to what is shown in the video:

-Cleanup: You can use fix/bake commands to eliminate any shakiness in the mocap animation (the system dmind is displaying looks pretty solid, but a lower budget solution may really benefit here).
-Alter baked animation:
1) Apply keys allows you to apply a pose at 1 frame, and "ease-in" that change across a range of frames.
2) Load motion gives you the option of mixing saved animation with that which already exists in the timeline (motion copy also does this). You can take 2 mocap baked animations and seamlessly blend the two this way.

-Keyframe management tools: Don't like how the actor moved their arms or head? Want to exaggerate motions? You can also mix in hand-keyed animation via keyframe-mode dependent deletion/keying.
-Dynamics: You can use IKB's dynamics to animate dangling elements of a character which can also be used with mocap solutions (IE: dreadlocks, earrings, bags w/ straps, ropes, etc).

jwiede
06-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Other benefits in addition to what is shown in the video:
I feel like I'm missing something... what precise IKB benefits were shown in the video? I've watched it twice now, and while I see IKB used for load/save, I'm not seeing how that made a difference. What am I missing?

Surrealist.
06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Thats pretty cool. If NewTek is paying attention to this technology, which it seems they are. Wouldn't the next phase be a revamped Motion Mixer with the ability to mix motions and combine clips with matching and ghosting so you could string several mocaps together (matching by selected controllers and changing direction of clip if need be) and then a nice additive animation layer system to make corrections and additions to the animation?

Now that would be cool for LightWave.

That is if you really want to cut MotionBuilder out of it.

Would take a lot more than that to match it but it'd be a start in the right direction.

Ryan Roye
06-24-2013, 11:19 PM
I feel like I'm missing something... what precise IKB benefits were shown in the video? I've watched it twice now, and while I see IKB used for load/save, I'm not seeing how that made a difference. What am I missing?

Less dialogues, easier to change/mix/switch up animations without destroying work, transfer them to other similiarly built rigs, and you can build on top of the BVH-created rig while still retaining the ability to load mocap motions (in mid animation). Probably other stuff I missed... but that's what stuck out to me.

jwiede
06-25-2013, 06:21 AM
Less dialogues, easier to change/mix/switch up animations without destroying work, transfer them to other similiarly built rigs, and you can build on top of the BVH-created rig while still retaining the ability to load mocap motions (in mid animation). Probably other stuff I missed... but that's what stuck out to me.
I think you misunderstood me, I do understand the benefits IKB offers generally, but I just didn't see obvious benefits of IKB in the video (beyond the load/save, and it wasn't clear to me why that was part of the sequence shown, as the motion was already loaded prior to invoking IKB). I'm just asking if there's a specific usage of IKB feature(s) shown in the video that I missed which explicitly demonstrated a benefit? Does that make my question any clearer?

Surrealist.
06-25-2013, 08:18 AM
IKB is at the center of the workflow to retarget as well as have a rig you can also animate by hand.

The sequence if I got this right is:

(skipping the scale part)
Load .bvh file which gives you a basic rig to drive the character.
Make it an IKB
Save the Motion
Modify the rig all you want
(not included in video) Repeat/reuse as you normally would for other character assets
Load motion into other assets

If I am not mistaken IKB is used for these things

1) To have a very simple rig that can be controlled with IKB with hand animation (fingers facial expressions hold bones etc) that is based off of a loaded .bvh rig
2) Drive that same base rig by saving/loading in a motion file
3) Re-target to other rigs with the same base .bvh rig (these can all have unique additional controls etc as long as they maintain the bones needed to play the animation)

It has been a while but as far as I know IKB is the only way to load character motion files. Maybe I am wrong on that point. Been away from CA in LW.

"Use bones from" is very limited. This gives the option to re-target easily. And also gives you a rig you can animate with IK/FK

Additionally, and I may have this wrong too, is that if you switch to FK the rig will be driven by the motion. Switching to IK will allow you to animate the rig "overwritng" the motion.

If I am wrong on that part I am not sure how you could do it in LW exactly. But I think you might be able to create a control rig that would do something like that.

allabulle
06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I just saw this video. Thanks, dmind!

dmind
06-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Ikbooster:

It is an advanced animation module included in lightwave 3d, which allows things like bone dynamics, "Fk fix" simulating ik, ... and animations can baker hierarchies, which allows us to save the animation of a hierarchy of bones or objects to import it whenever we want (any animation, not just mocap).
The file created is very simple, it is a text file (. Txt) that keeps the hierarchy and the coordinates of animation (scaling, movement, rotation) and we can open, edit and save.
It has few limitations, for this case (the save command motion / load motion) must maintain based hierarchies without breaking the chain or change names.

Application: bulk loading of BVH files into a character.

The basic idea is to have a character setup as complete as possible, where we can apply bvh animations without destroying the setup, so we can load the base skeleton of a bvh file from our library and add bones, targets, expressions, followers , plugins, dynamics, etc, and save our setup, maintaining the hierarchy base. Then, with the command "Load Motion", we can load all the animations previously transformed in .Txt by IKBooster. Besides, "Genoma" can help us create a good setup adding hands, eyes, IK column, etc ... easily.
We can change character and will be kept reassigned the Morphs, expressions and targets, you can even adjust the skeleton bones by handling the nulls from BVH file and after loading the animation of IKB you can reset any bones at any time without losing nothing and returning to the starting position.
The major limitation of this technique is the contact of the feet on the floor, legs must keep intact in the base skeleton to have relationship with the general movement of the character, so we use a scale appropriate to charge the BVH.
you can overcome this limitation with some techniques, one of which would be to make a bake animation of a linked null and then use it to apply iK to the legs, but we're still working on it.
Another interesting feature is the possibility to switch interactively from IK to Fk , you can even animate in a scene, activating it only when needed.
This system, with motion mixer gives us a very powerful animation tool.
For example, by this method, in the studio, only 2 people have been able to perform more than 30 minutes of character animation in a few months.

Hope it will be useful and serve to open the mind of animators. :thumbsup:
Greetings from Digital Mind.

Oedo 808
06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks for sharing, always good to see how different people approach things.

allabulle
06-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Yup, thank you very much.

erikals
07-28-2013, 09:16 AM
started a thread,

IKBooster vs NevronMotion
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136720-IKBooster-vs-NevronMotion

any thoughts on this?...

Philbert
08-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I found this Tutorial on YouTube a a couple weeks ago and saved it because it looked interesting. It does go really fast though and I feel like some parts are missing or else they go by so fast I can't see them happening. Like for example In part 3 the text says "load the character and motion" What I see happening is the mocap being loaded and that's it. Then at 2:19 there's no IKB on then suddenly at 2:20 it says "you can add more bones" and IKB is on. I'm trying to follow along but I keep having to go back and restart some parts.

Ryan Roye
08-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Like for example In part 3 the text says "load the character and motion" What I see happening is the mocap being loaded and that's it. Then at 2:19 there's no IKB on then suddenly at 2:20 it says "you can add more bones" and IKB is on. I'm trying to follow along but I keep having to go back and restart some parts.

IKB is mainly just used to transfer the data of the re-scaled BVH to a customized mocap rig with fancy controls (you can add on top of a rig without hindering IKB's ability to load data), the ability to re-use the animation, and to avoid having to re-scale/adjust every time. It doesn't look like the video makes this obvious though. Optimally, this custom rig gets adjusted to fit the character being used. Notice that towards the end of the video, when they load data onto the 3 characters that they are already rigged up with their custom controls. That's what they are talking about here.

Without IKB, they would not be able to add motion to their custom mocap character rig without tedious work.

So, IKB only needs to be enabled while doing the load or save actions in this case. Because mocap generates identical rigs every time (bone identifier # will always match), it works perfectly with IKBooster's pose/motion load/save.

Something I should point out:

It is good practice to be in ALL mode and have the top heiarchy object selected while doing any motion saves that involve the whole character. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

Philbert
08-18-2013, 03:23 PM
I did a quick test with this, not using IKB for now though. I still have to experiment with that. Funny thing is I got a bunch of other mocap data from Carnegie Mellon U. that loads but for some reason it looks like the legs get switched, Left bones controlling right leg or something.

http://youtu.be/oD7Z1vhUYhs