PDA

View Full Version : Have instances use different morph target???

tcoursey
05-09-2013, 01:04 PM
I am going to try and fill a stadium up with people. My thought was to get a handful of people with different style of clothes. Each of those will have a texture that changes the colors a bit (I know how to do that). But I also wanted to pose each character into 3-4 poses and have the instances randomly pick a morph.

Where would I look to do this? Is that possible?

lertola2
05-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I am not an expert but I am almost certain that you can not use morphs on instances. I believe you could clone your object several times. Give each clone a different morph and then include all the clones in your instances.

tcoursey
05-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I was hoping there was some combination I could use similar to the instance ID node that I use with a gradient to change colors randomly. I wasn't finding anything....

Thanks!

prometheus
05-10-2013, 07:24 PM
That would require a new instancing techology/improvement.

You canīt today even instance an object and let it have different displacement nor morph.
Would be awesome if it could.

jwiede
05-10-2013, 08:52 PM
That would require a new instancing techology/improvement.

You canīt today even instance an object and let it have different displacement nor morph.
Would be awesome if it could.
It wouldn't really offer much memory savings, though, once you're carrying around individual geometry per instance (and that's what would be needed for what you're describing). It'd have to store the deformed geometry per individual instance (essentially same cost as orig. geometry), and at that point you'd just be using a clone in all but name, so I'm not sure I see the point of using instances for such a thing.

prometheus
05-10-2013, 10:25 PM
It wouldn't really offer much memory savings, though, once you're carrying around individual geometry per instance (and that's what would be needed for what you're describing). It'd have to store the deformed geometry per individual instance (essentially same cost as orig. geometry), and at that point you'd just be using a clone in all but name, so I'm not sure I see the point of using instances for such a thing.

That would be if a new type of technology could work that out with instances and not original geometry, so Im with you about what you say anyway.
Im curious how vue ecosystem can instance a unique tree in itīs instance system..the so called solid growth and eco system.

I also recall someone mentioning instances in houdini which had Unique instances, but Im not sure of that really...very thin:)
and Im not talking about clones.

Michael

lertola2
05-11-2013, 02:58 PM

It would offer the ease of populating your scene with your geometry. Also why couldn't the instance system access the geometry then the deform in the same way it now accesses just the geometry?

prometheus
05-11-2013, 03:31 PM
It would offer the ease of populating your scene with your geometry. Also why couldn't the instance system access the geometry then the deform in the same way it now accesses just the geometry?

Sort of what I wonder too.