PDA

View Full Version : Modelling problem (join two different polygons)

AmigaNewTek
05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Hello,

i'm having problem in joining two different polygons. I would like to "attach" one polygon to another one automatically. I tried with Clone+, but i get a script error.
The two polygons are in the same layer (an ear that should be attached to the head). I used create skin, that created a sorf of "bridge" from the ear to the head. Doesn't look very good. Any other suggestion?

Thank you very much.

prometheus
05-09-2013, 06:14 AM
use the bridge tool, or simply weld points.

Michael

AmigaNewTek
05-09-2013, 06:36 AM
The bridge tools doesn't work. "Could not find matching points to bridge". The two polygons doesn't have the same number of faces.

prometheus
05-09-2013, 06:54 AM
The bridge tools doesn't work. "Could not find matching points to bridge". The two polygons doesn't have the same number of faces.

not a polygon then?:) bridge tool only works on same amount of faces/points

you have to edit and make sure they have the same number of points in such case or faces. or simply use welding or merge points...but that to would probably require
same amount of points.

think you have to go through detailing and adding extra points and geometry when you can. I guess yuou would want to be able to subpatch it later.

here´s a blender tute ..be patient, around 4 min in the video it is showcased welding and creating cuts, now this would be a little different in Lightwave, but principles are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h7Yc5dLqM8

AmigaNewTek
05-09-2013, 07:32 AM
not a polygon then?:) bridge tool only works on same amount of faces/points

you have to edit and make sure they have the same number of points in such case or faces. or simply use welding or merge points...but that to would probably require
same amount of points.

think you have to go through detailing and adding extra points and geometry when you can. I guess yuou would want to be able to subpatch it later.

here´s a blender tute ..be patient, around 4 min in the video it is showcased welding and creating cuts, now this would be a little different in Lightwave, but principles are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h7Yc5dLqM8

How can i reduce the vertices? There's a part that end's with 6 points. If i select the point and then i press p, a polygons is created, but have 6 faces.

JoePoe
05-09-2013, 07:45 AM
A picture would sure help. Or even post the object (or just the trouble part of the object). :)

Six edges need to bridge to how many? Four? Eight? Twenty?

If it's not to many, you can bridge individual edges (or if the shape isn't too complex, groups of edges).

AmigaNewTek
05-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I was wrong. There are ten edges, need to join or bridge to a quad.

JoePoe
05-09-2013, 07:50 AM
can you split two of the edges on the quad? That'll give you six.
Or, conversely, you could weld a couple of points on the 6 to give you a four.

gerry_g
05-09-2013, 07:56 AM
divide the 6 point poly up after you have created it, select any two of its points and press 'l' to divide it

AmigaNewTek
05-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Thank you all. I will try all of the suggestions. Meanwhile i saved progressively the objects and start redrawing again the ears in the last saved. If i will not be satisfied, i will revert back.