PDA

View Full Version : How would you light an animation like this...?

raw-m
05-09-2013, 04:13 AM
http://www.motionserved.com/gallery/Fox-para-Todos-Branding-Package/8214937

It's very crisp with some nice soft shadows. Looks like quite a bit of luminosity in there, but how would you light the shaded areas? I would guess radiosity flickering would show up a lot and be too "expensive" to be useful on these kind of movements(?).

Danner
05-09-2013, 04:54 AM
For quick render times I'd use an hdri on my backdrop, use background radiosity and add occlusion for contact shadows.

djwaterman
05-09-2013, 05:25 AM
The occlusion pass is the thing that gives this the shading, it's not a realistic look so I'm not sure radiosity would have even been used, but even that could be baked into the surfaces. There is no obvious direct light source either, I think this look was put together in post with passes.

bazsa73
05-09-2013, 06:12 AM
I see nice diffusions there as aforementioned and lots of clean reflections. Dome light perhaps could fake this look or baked GI. Just guessing.

raw-m
05-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Thats interesting. I agree with multiple passes, a lot of RAW rgb in there. Never baked GI before, I'll need to do a bit of research on how it all fits together re UVs, multiple objects etc. Would it need a massive resolution to keep that clean look?