PDA

View Full Version : Set Poster Frame for DDR and such

Ben Freedman
05-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Howdy..

I'd like to request what I hope is a simple but really useful feature...

That is to be able to set any frame in a DDR video to be the 'poster' frame that you see in the list of available videos.

I have quite a few videos loaded into a DDR, but they often start with a black fade in. This means that they ALL just have a black square in the DDR list. Not very easy to tell them apart, except for their name.

It'd be great if on the DDR video controls you could pause on a frame, and then 'set' it as the 'poster' frame that appears in the DDR video list...

I hope you agree this is a very useful idea, and one that hopefully doesn't require a prohibitive amount of coding..

Thanks!

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
PrimeImage Media
480-399-0000 - direct
480-240-9270 - office
866-549-6051 - fax
[email protected]
www.PrimeImageMedia.com

Lee-AVP
05-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Despite my joking in the other thread, I also would find this very useful.

PIZAZZ
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
You know what would be really really really cool???

If you hovered over the clip in question and could see a small preview video of the clip. There was a product a long long long time ago that did that. What an awesome product that was. So far ahead of the game back then. What was that thing called...

SBowie
05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
You know what would be really really really cool???And back then, I was skinny. Can we have that back too? ;)

digiview
05-09-2013, 05:13 PM
I agree top idea

joseburgos
05-11-2013, 12:24 PM
I'd also love this feature. Right now as a work around, I place an image for one frame only in a NLE timeline (SpeedEdit) in front of the clip and then export as a new clip. I then use the counter in the DDR to trim off exactly one frame for the in point and BAM, I have a clip with the image I choose.
Be awesome if this was built-in :)

digiview
05-14-2013, 01:47 AM
It should not be that hard to tell the software to go to frame 30 and use that as the poster frame, by then any effect should have concluded.

SBowie
05-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Not to say it could never be done - clearly, it can - but at what cost? It actually is 'that hard' (if it weren't, we'd have done it for TC very long ago. This is hardly the first time it's been considered).

This is not anything like as simple as grabbing a given frame from a single file. In many formats, seeking a specific frame is tough enough actually; but we're not talking about a single file - or format. Also, its necessary to scale and store the images, and constantly update a local thumbnail system for every playlist in both DDRs. We've done this before, of course - as many will know, VT did all of this and much more, so we are well aware of what it takes ... and the pitfalls. Imagine the resource hits when someone drops twenty or thirty long-gop files into a playlist, then immediately switches to another and does it again - all while doing the countless other things TC is doing in realtime (this would be a different matter if we were talking about an NLE).

I've only touched on a couple of aspects of this matter. It's non-trivial, believe me..

Labmaster
05-17-2013, 08:21 PM
It seems that TC is creating and handling some kind of filelink to the real clip anyway already. You will notice this if you delete the real clip on hdd but not in the playlist, die link is still there.
So why not storing the small preview picture inside the filelink, so only once a time when the preview is created (or changed by user) all the processing for grabbing the right frame has to be done.

I don't know much about all the internals of tc's software architecture but at least this would be the way i would try to go if possible.

best regards,
Walter

SBowie
05-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Storing a file path is simply a matter of a few ascii characters. Thumbnail generation is a different matter by an significant amount.

One file, sure. But picture someone opening a file browser to a folder with different file formats in it, files of many different sizes .... hitting Ctrl + a and Enter. Then doing it again moments later in a different playlist from a different folder . Open all of those files, find (or often, create) a suitable frame partway into them, scale them all to a suitable resolution, encode them all, and then write them all to disk. While you're at it, do everything else TriCaster does live, including playing back clips in a couple of DDRs, handling the scaling of multiple inputs, muliple dsks, virtual sets, proc amps, tracking, recording multiple angles, encoding and streaming ...

All of a sudden it's not so easy. And before someone suggests it, doing all of this as a low priority background task, or only when not live, etc., etc., only introduces more complications, bottlenecks, limitations, complexity, etc. Sorry, again not to say never - but however easy it might look from a distance, you are underestimating it by a large measure.

jcupp
05-18-2013, 08:42 AM
How about when you load a clip in the DDR you get the first frame as the thumbnail (the way it works now) but give the user an option on the right click menu to select a different frame as the thumbnail like they can select a different display name. This way the machine would never have to generate separate thumbnails for hundreds of files at once but the user could change the thumbnail if they really wanted/needed to.

Another thought is to allow the thumbnail selection only when the file is imported from the import menu. This moves the thumbnail creation to pre-production when the mighty i7 cpu is more or less at idle.

joseburgos
05-18-2013, 08:55 AM
As long as its not using the info folder method to hold them is all I ask but if it could be added, it would be very welcome indeed. On occasions, I'm given a clip that was supposed to be three separate clips but instead just one clip with all three in it. I then clone it three times and adjust the in and out for each but all three have the same icon.
I'd settle for generic stand in numbers and letters as icons.

jcupp
05-18-2013, 09:37 AM
There must (should?) be some standardized metadata way of doing thumbnails.

joseburgos
05-18-2013, 09:48 AM
You would think but I've done lots of Google searches to find an app that does this and no luck. Been around four months (approx) since I last searched but at the time, there was nothing. Its built into Windows and OSX

Ben Ellingson
06-04-2013, 01:23 PM
+1

Howdy..

I'd like to request what I hope is a simple but really useful feature...

That is to be able to set any frame in a DDR video to be the 'poster' frame that you see in the list of available videos.

I have quite a few videos loaded into a DDR, but they often start with a black fade in. This means that they ALL just have a black square in the DDR list. Not very easy to tell them apart, except for their name.

It'd be great if on the DDR video controls you could pause on a frame, and then 'set' it as the 'poster' frame that appears in the DDR video list...

I hope you agree this is a very useful idea, and one that hopefully doesn't require a prohibitive amount of coding..

Thanks!

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
PrimeImage Media
480-399-0000 - direct
480-240-9270 - office
866-549-6051 - fax
[email protected]
www.PrimeImageMedia.com