PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic FX to create conforming bends

AlwaysLearning
05-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Hi,
I'm a new Lightwave user (less than 1 month) I'm trying to create a dynamic model of a circular pipe/conduit conforming to a fixed solid shape. I've tried using both Soft FX and Cloth FX to do this but the cross section either collapses flat (Cloth) or doesn't bend at all (Soft).

The easiest way to describe this is I want the pipe to maintain the cross section profile (two axis) whilst deforming along the third axis.

I've hunted for tutorials but I've found nothing so far. Given what I've seen of Lightwaves capabilities, I'm sure I must be missing something. Has anyone got a tutorial or an example of the settings I need to look at? Thank you.

Regards

Trevor

bazsa73
05-08-2013, 06:48 AM
You could try a bone setup. Make a snakelike bonestructure and rotate each till you conform the pipe to the other solid shape. Or you can do it in modeler via rail extrude.

Areyos Alektor
05-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Why not use the Endomorph ?

Larry Shultz videos are very interesting :

http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/larry-shultz/larrys-videos/

prometheus
05-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Try use a disc with bones and use IK_booster and make the bones dynamic..that should work.

If you donīt know how to set it up, I might guide to that or post a scene.
you could use create skelegons in modeler and split them to amount you need to bend the disc smoothl, or perhaps try genoma spine.
once in layout convert skelegons or create rig for genoma, add ik booster while having the mesh selected then go to the ik booster menu and check bone dynamics.

Willam Vaughan also has a tutorial of something similar...(octopuss bending arms over collision object)
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/dl_link.html?BoneDynamics.mov

Michael

Hieron
05-14-2013, 09:06 AM
isn't Denis Pontonnier's Spline Deformer perfect for this? Surely seems easier than morphs, bones, rigs, genoma etc.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

prometheus
05-14-2013, 09:16 AM
isn't Denis Pontonnier's Spline Deformer perfect for this? Surely seems easier than morphs, bones, rigs, genoma etc.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

spline deformer is a manual spline editor and would probably take longer time to edit and adjust manually and it will be just a manual aproximation that infact doesnīt conform to anything.

using a bone chain inside of the disc/pipe mesh is easy to setup within a couple of minutes and just add Ik_booster, enable bone dynamics to it and hit ikb calculate and it conforms dynamicly to the underlying collision object.
you could also add clothFX on to the mesh and set a 100% hold structure if you also want the mesh to deform the mesh with a more softt body look, otherwise for a simple bend conform it will be enough with IK_booster.

Quite easy and fast to set up if you know how.

Might post scene sample later.

Michael

Hieron
05-14-2013, 01:47 PM
k, I suppose the exact wishes of the OP are unclear to me..