PDA

View Full Version : LW and FBX naming issue.

Simon-S
05-08-2013, 03:53 AM
Hi,

I'm working on an fbx file that I've exported from maya and then imported into lightwave.

Its really important that I keep the naming convention the same as it was in maya.

I have managed to do that in a fashion but there appears to be a problems with anything that was instanced in maya.

Lightwave has converted everything correctly and all names are almost correct however anything that was an instance in maya now has a (1) or (2) in the object name. Even if the object name is different I am getting the (1) or (2) as if these are still instances.

For example here are 2 LW nulls with different names...

tile01: pCube64 (1)

great_bridge_transition_to_3: pCube64 (2)

From this you can see that the thing being instanced is 'pCube64' but even though the object names are different I have the instance number.

My issue is that in Maya these objects are named without the (1) and (2) so...

tile01: pCube64

great_bridge_transition_to_3: pCube64

My next thought was to open the lightwave scene in notepad and do a find and replace for the (1) and (2) but strangely they dont appear anywhere.

For that matter 'great_bridge' and 'tile01' do not appear in the notepad file either.

I'm struggling to work out exactly what is going on here and where these instance names are coming from - so i can maybe edit them accordingly.

I have about 200 nodes in this scene so manually renaming them is out of the question.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

MarcusM
05-08-2013, 04:02 AM
There is a layer renamer plugin to remove prefix or sufix but for Modeler.

Here is something for Layout but i dont tried this. You must check.
http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/renamer/

Simon-S
05-08-2013, 04:49 AM
There is a layer renamer plugin to remove prefix or sufix but for Modeler.

Here is something for Layout but i dont tried this. You must check.
http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/renamer/

Thanks for that. Can't get it to work though unfortunately. It keeps throwing up an error code.

lardbros
05-08-2013, 05:31 AM
I think in LightWave, anything that is a duplicate geometry asset, has the suffix of (1), (2)...

The original object will just be 'Box' for example, and then if that is duplicated, an (1), (2), (3)... etc is added to the end. You'll notice, if you delete one of these instances, the numbers will re-arrange, and if you remove all but one the original name will be the only one left.

Not sure if that helps at all, or is stuff you already know... but as I understand it, this is how it is working?

(A damn sight better than the 3dsMax FBX importing... hundreds of duplicate surfaces on everything... nightmare)

MarcusM
05-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Thanks for that. Can't get it to work though unfortunately. It keeps throwing up an error code.

Here this plugin turning on.
Windows 7, Lightwave 11.5 64-bit.