PDA

View Full Version : FX Collisions - particles through object hole...

richard654
05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi - Newbie question... I'm trying to "pour" particles on a surface with holes. When I set up the FX Collision to Object-Advanced, the particles "bounce" off the holes, and fall through the solid.

Any ideas how to quickly INVERT the bounce so the particles fall through the holes instead?

Many thanks!

prometheus
05-08-2013, 07:41 PM
try to avoid using roughness..set it to zero in the collision objects bounce settings.
should be working...also try to calculate and see if it goes better, I might post a scene tomorrow.

also try and post a screen shot or save out openGl preview mov if you can.

Michael

richard654
05-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Many thanks for responding Prometheus... attached is the single object and simple scene.114199114200

prometheus
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
uhmm..I thought this should work, or that Ivé done that before, weird...it might very well be that the particle system in lightwave simply canīt handle it, but it could also
be just some small setting somewhere, I tried a lot of things with your scene but didnīt work it out for now, have to check it more to see if it can be solved, heck ..I even tried cloth fx instead of
collision object, since that has record collision points, you have to set a hold structure at 100% but the result still keeps particles not falling through completly in the holes, it gathers there though.

I also made the disc with thickness, and tested double sided surface on and off..

So ...unfortunatly I donīt have an answer for it at the moment, but I will check it some more.

Will it be fluid stuff with voxels or tiny parts that should go through the disc filter holes? if it is tiny parts you could use bullet dynamics, that is if you have lw 11.5

Michael

richard654
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Well... my end product is "data" falling through various "filter layers" (thereby illustrating the awesome capabilities of our product, etc. etc.)

So, I wasn't going further until I could figure this issue out.

I'm currently with 11.0. Let me look into 11.5

Thank you VERY MUCH for your time!

R

prometheus
05-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Well... my end product is "data" falling through various "filter layers" (thereby illustrating the awesome capabilities of our product, etc. etc.)

So, I wasn't going further until I could figure this issue out.

I'm currently with 11.0. Let me look into 11.5

Thank you VERY MUCH for your time!

R

Then I would think you could use bullet instead, it was introduced in lw11, but it has more options now with the forces in 11.5.

The old particle system is a little quirky, and it needs a rewrite and also implement it to work fully with bullet...sort of what Luxology/Modo has done with itīs particle intergration..so Lightwave
has been and is behind the schedule for particle effects up to this point.

I wouldnīt be surprised if this can be done anyway or with a workaround with particles, maybe use clothFx etc or setup the filter mesh differently with multisegments perhaps instead of one single object.

But bullet would probably work the easiest, unless you would like to showcase a particle flow with fluid and voxels.

Michael

prometheus
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
checked again, but I used a divided plane and cut out simple 4 point poly holes, and extruded it to give thickness...now that works, so I figure it has something to do with the disc mesh and how it is
created or merged with points when drilled or used booleans on it.

Ill post scene later...world championship in hockey goes first:)
Sweden against Canada.

Michael

prometheus
05-09-2013, 10:04 AM
O well..here you go, a simple setup ...no gravity but using negative velocity here, and a completly different mesh filter:)
but you get the idea.
No need to calculate..no need to change object to advanced either I think.
two samples, one simple mesh and one metaform subdivided.

Michael

richard654
05-10-2013, 06:48 AM
FANTASTIC! Many thanks! Obviously my "filter" was way too complex. And likely, due to the boolean drill.

Again... Many thanks. I'm off and running. :)