PDA

View Full Version : Lwacd for architectural design

gcbotas
05-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Im architect. My workflow consist in design directly in 3d and then get the plans and sections from the 3d model. Is a very good way to design from the point of view and get a good aproximation to the habitability of the project. Right now Im switching from Rhino to lwcad, because is cleaner, faster, and the powerful poly modeling habilities of Lightwave.
So I have some suggestions for make this plugin not only a visualization tool , but a powerful design tool.

- Would be really nice to have a way to get sections or plans to export to autocad for printing.
-Add to the snapping system the hability to snap to the point between a line and a plane, and snap to the edge between plane and plane.
-An UCS locking way like sketchup (you can lock via shift key to a polygon and project the same plane to any entity on the model.)

Congrats and many thanks to Viktor. This plugin is brilliant

(sorry for my bad english)

tcoursey
05-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Im architect. My workflow consist in design directly in 3d and then get the plans and sections from the 3d model. Is a very good way to design from the point of view and get a good aproximation to the habitability of the project. Right now Im switching from Rhino to lwcad, because is cleaner, faster, and the powerful poly modeling habilities of Lightwave.
So I have some suggestions for make this plugin not only a visualization tool , but a powerful design tool.

- Would be really nice to have a way to get sections or plans to export to autocad for printing.
-Add to the snapping system the hability to snap to the point between a line and a plane, and snap to the edge between plane and plane.
-An UCS locking way like sketchup (you can lock via shift key to a polygon and project the same plane to any entity on the model.)

Congrats and many thanks to Viktor. This plugin is brilliant

(sorry for my bad english)

Are you using LWCAD and formerly RHINO to actually do the design that is then turned into CAD files? LWCAD is a great tool, we've been using it since it's first release. It added a tremendous amount of capability to LW that was needed for the 3D community that worked on Arch Design projects.

Not sure if your familiar with these other tools but I will lay them out for you in case your not.

Chief Architect - excellent package for developing residential and light commercial projects. The package allows you to draw 2D lines yet work in complete 3D. Windows, doors everything. It will automatically present/create elevations, sections etc..etc. This is an Architectural tool.

SketchUp - Great mass modeler. We get models from arch's that have been developed in SketchUp. Sometimes they are pretty complete, other's are fairly minimal (mass models). The modeler is highly regarded for fast prototyping models.

Revit - of course this is the industry standard for BIM design. Again like Chief it works in 2D 3D simultaneously. Much more expensive. I find the exports from Revit too large for most things. Have to widdle down the geometry once in LW.

If your using LW for these types of things, LWCAD or LW itself may not ever get you there quick enough. It's more of a creative design tool (IMO) than a CAD package. Viktor has added like I said before a great number of tools and who knows what's on the horizon, but you may consider these other packages if you end up with Floorplan/Construction drawings.

Hope that helps. If not sorry for the confusion. We work a lot of arch's, I may have other info that might help.

Take care.

gcbotas
05-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Yes, Im using lwcad for design directly in 3d. I use a lot Sketchup too. I think sketchup is a very simple and versatile tool to get 3d models and slice them for export sections and plans, that you can detail after in a cad software. I think Lwcad can be something similar if has the capabilities to export sections and plans. I use to design through visualization. Lightwave has a complete render engine and materials system for check lights and materials in model. I dont mean that Lightwave must be a CAD app, but as you said, is a very flexible creative tool.
I use Rhino a lot too, but I think that NURBS based modeling is a little dirty and heavy for architectural design ( IMHO )