PDA

View Full Version : New TFD Training Tutorial on Liberty3d

TalleyJC
05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
So... hopefully some of you bought into the Group TFD purchase that made its' way here on the Forums. If you've been watching you know that there is a lack of training vids available.

Enter the Kat.

Kelly just released the first in a new series of vids on it.

I'm Downloading now. =0)

http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/05/5519/

GregMalick
05-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Ditto.

I wish their d/l speed was > 300 KB/s

Megalodon2.0
05-06-2013, 01:46 PM
This is great!

I will be definitely be buying this as well. As soon as I can scrape up the money - hopefully before the end of the month. :)

GregMalick
05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't know how much you guys consider your time is worth.
But I'm on the 4th video and have learned so much about the parameters so far - it would have taken me weeks of futzing around to get this far.

I don't know how long Kat has been working with TFD - it's either a long time or he's a genius.
I have no problem with giving this 5 stars. If you bought TFD - this tutorial is a must (unless you're also a genius or have scads of time to waste playing around).

TalleyJC
05-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Kat worked on Iron Sky, which you see on Jawsets site... Probably did some other stuff as well

djlithium
05-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Meow. Hi there!

Thanks for the positive feedback. In general I have been futzing around with CFD types of tools for about 8 years from Dynamite to our research with Bakudan (which never came out sadly) and now TFD. The biggest frustration I had with any of that was ok - what the heck does this setting do and why and what does it look like. The TFD manual doesn't cover this at all which is why I made this video.
There are some functions that I do leave to the manual - because they are explain effectively (like 1st and 2nd order accuracy etc etc), but at the end of the day its those surface and texture tabs in the emitter and then the Vort/turb/Temp/Density etc tabs that people get lost in not knowing how they can counter act rather than compliment each other in producing a look (kind of like another volumetic thing we all know -... hvs?!)
The advanced projects video is in the works, it will be out in a couple of weeks.

Kat

m.d.
05-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I'll probably grab this too..
but if you need a leg up for free....the Houdini pyro fluid sims are pretty similar logic

fuel, burn, temp, density ect ect....uprez...all the same

this stuff is usually custom implementations of public papers, so the Houdini tutorials will give you some background understanding...

but I'm sure the lightwave specific tutes will be very useful

EDIT: just bought it...couldnt resist

djlithium
05-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks Mike.
Yes they are all based on similar whitepapers released over the years. There are some really good side by side render videos from Cornell University that show some of these effects along with the up-res'ing stuff. At the end of the day a lot of it has to do with fractals :)
Hey, its nature.

Megalodon2.0
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
The advanced projects video is in the works, it will be out in a couple of weeks.

Looks like I'll be purchasing them both at the same time - hopefully we'll see the second vid by the end of the month? ;)

m.d.
05-06-2013, 09:12 PM
the thing I like...is we now have houdini quality pyro (or at least the underpinnings) inside LW....
better then Maya (which I use) ...way better then anything blender has...

maybe not the outright customization of Houdini (ala particle advection...and with houdini basically anything you set your mind too) but 90% of everything you would ever need

Kat,
Not sure your style of training (as I'm still downloading)
But if not in this set....can you do some advanced technical descriptions....sorta a mini CFD class, with the advanced class?

I always like to leard a little more then what buttons to mash :)

eagleeyed
05-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Downloading now. Perfect timing for an impulse tutorial buy. :P

m.d.
05-06-2013, 10:31 PM
just watched the first few videos...

10 out of 10....concise yet detailed and accurate....and yes there is a lot of stuff to cover...

I would recommend this small investment if you bought the plugin

Very well done kat

djlithium
05-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Hi Mike.
Yes, the second video that goes along with this will cover much more advanced principles with respect to the CFD/TFD mathematics. I didn't want to go overboard in this round for a number of reasons. The purpose of this installment was to get people familiar with the concepts and the interface and then we can get into more awesomeness with advanced projects. Cool thing is, once you understand this stuff, it gets easier to set things up and you can understand the behavior of whats going to happen before you even do a simulation.
My goal also is to pick up a pair of high end GTX690s or even a Titan or two and we can play super awesome flame on VFX stuff in the next video package dealing with TFD.

nickdigital
05-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Can you buy both as a bundle?

djlithium
05-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Both will be offered as a bundle yes, once the projects video is released. I should be able to get that out before june or the first week of june depending on my schedule.

erikals
05-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Titan LE is coming soon.

(not sure how soon though...)
(or 3/5GB GeForce GTX 780 with 2,486 CUDA cores.)

allabulle
05-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Great news. I'll wait for the bundle but I'll be paying attention at what's being said here meanwhile. Nice to see some new tutorials from Kat.

djlithium
05-07-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm working to try and arrange a "shoot out" with the involvement of some manufacturers of nVidia cards - part of the reason why projects is a second video. But I will tell you this, the best cards for the price win and I will recommend those for people who use this in production and need fast turn arounds giving those cards my paw of approval. Still, even on my system I'm getting great speeds and thats straight CPU on an FX-8350.
BTW, Jascha has already corrected a bug for those of you who run desktops larger than 1920x1080. You should see it in the next build.
KatKat

GregMalick
05-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Aloha Kat,

You probably already read my earlier recommendation.

One word of advice for the next video. Don't cover any of the same material you did in the first one.
The first video should be a pre-requisite for the second (just warn people about that).
Kinda like when you take college courses. Assume people got up to speed in the first course.

BTW, been waiting to see you get onto Skype. I tried something I thought would work and got unexpected results.
If I see you on Skype, I'll do a screen share and show you...

Thomas Helzle
05-07-2013, 02:54 AM
Question about the Bundle: Will buyers of the first video get the bundle price if they buy the second?

Thanks and Cheers!

Tom

antsj
05-07-2013, 05:14 AM
DJlithium,

As another Group Purchase TFD purchase and with a couple of mainitnace coming up, any chance that you may do a Memorial Day sale to honor the troops here in US and Bundle both Turbulence FD for Light Wave 11.5 videos at an awesome deal?

I look forward to your responses.

On a side note, recent post in this forum or another forum, I had uploaded links showing that the EVGA GTX 590 Dual(s) are still providing similar output like the GTX 690 but not sure of Titan.

aj

djlithium
05-07-2013, 06:18 AM
that's a good question. We may offer a coupon to do that. We will see what the best way to do it is.

Thomas Helzle
05-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks for considering it Kat!

Cheers,

Tom

Phil
05-07-2013, 06:32 AM
I miss the days of written tutorials with animated GIFs. How well compartmentalized are these videos? If I want to try and find some specific information related to a (set of) control(s), is it possible to find it in the 5+ hours without too much pain?

djlithium
05-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Hi Phil.
Here is a snap shot of the video contents. I broke the videos down into chew-able segments as much as I could while keeping things flowing.
Part the problem with doing a video like this is that sometimes things don't go the way you plan even after you set up a scene (crash) but part of the benefits here is that you see what will cause a crash and avoid it. Jascha picked up a copy himself and has been watching it and has been emailing me back and forth about some of the fixes. Each step of the way I save the scene files shown in each segment of the video so you can compare them to previous settings.

I also rebuilt the Fuel Masking and flame thrower demo scenes as the fuel masking scene would crash a lot of people's systems (including mine) and when i put the flame thrower demo together I added fuel masking to the mix so one can dissect how that is done when working with emitters with particles instead of just contact with another temperature source object.
The Advanced projects video will deal with some real world set ups I have done over the past few years using the software including some stuff that we wanted to do on Iron Sky but it wasn't possible at the time left during the production for the theatrical release. Tuomas Kankola has pretty much mastered TFD on all levels, and I got some input from him on a few issues that were pissing me off (just being rusty) - but once you understand how the thing works and what its doing, anyone can push out some extremely high end effects if you have the horse power. One of the best things about TFD, is that it renders so, so fast.

Phil
05-07-2013, 07:21 AM
One of my chief frustrations with TFD is the shading interface. The graph editor approach for opacity control is so....foreign and unforgiving. Do you cover that in some detail?

djlithium
05-07-2013, 07:29 AM
A bit yes, but when it comes to "shading" most of the way it works depends heavily on the subgrid detail and input intensity mapping curve type. In the advanced projects this gets more explored, however with the information in there now when you understand how for example the dampening and white point functions work you get your fire to go from that a-typical yellow to that nice orange oxygen deprived look. The smoke shader stuff is actually more complex than the fire shader stuff in my opinion.

Thomas Helzle
05-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Some initial comments (haven't watched all videos yet):

Very nice videos indeed :-)
I like your voice and the way you go about explaining things in context rather than going through every setting one by one.

Things to improve:

- The audio is very low volume here.
- When making that initial sphere into an emitter, you enable it as a collision object without saying why.
- With the initial simple sphere scene, I was shouting at the monitor: "turn that surface smoothing for the sphere on if you want me to see subtle shading details" ;-) Making the sphere bigger on screen would have helped as well.
- The explanation of the "Illuminate Smoke in VPR" setting in the about box was confusing and I wondered why you left it off?

Thanks a lot for the tutorials! This should spare me a lot of annoyance. The TFD docs are really bad...

Cheers,

Tom

djlithium
05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
The low audio is a side effect of the noise removal of the machine working in the background. Sorry about that.
Most people start off making the object collision from the get go. You will find out later the advantage and disadvantages of doing this.
sorry about the sphere bit. I did actually at once point turn the surface smoothing on for it but didn't save and the crashes killed it on reload. :S
The illuminate smoke in VPR is just as the manual says however I have found it to be unstable when changing the smoke input intensity maps from say temperature, to density if its checked on. It also takes a hit on your CPU. right now I crash any time I attempt to change those intensity mapping types with vpr enabled. Since half the point of this thng is to work in VPR to see the shapes and stuff, I leave that function off and do an F9 test instead so as to not crash while working. Because it renders so quick, I don't mind so much.

Thomas Helzle
05-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks Kat - interesting bit about the VPR setting - I had a crash right now when trying it out ;-)

For the next videos, maybe apply a normalization after the noise removal? With everything at 100% I am just able to hear you...
Pretty please :-)

And yeah, a decent Nvidia card would make things go _much_ faster :-)

Cheers and thanks a lot,

Tom

Thomas Helzle
05-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Some more:

- Between Video 4 and 5 there is a jump. You didn't mention Velocity Weight in Video 4 but Video 5 starts with an unexplained comparison between it being on and off and you talk about "our velocity weight scene"...?

- Video 5 is quite confusing: when trying out if velocity weight of the sphere has an influence on the simulation, you also change other stuff so it's impossible to compare the before and the after. After the video I still don't know IF it has an influence or not. I would guess not?

- Sorry, but would you shut down Skype while recording please ;-)

- In Video 7, the Gradient example doesn't work since the input is set to previous layer and your input layer is just black and white, so no matter what your gradient does, with that kind of input you don't get any useful output since only the two extremes are used. You do the same in Video 8 again.

- In the middle of Video 8 you seem to lose focus and I don't know what you are trying to show me (Everything you do seems to work fine?). You feel more confused than knowing what you do.

- In Video 9 you seem to say that the custom Surface Texture and the built in Noise (Volume Texture...) are doing different things, but from the results it looks to me as if they do the same and are kind of multiplied? I didn't find that clear.

Sorry to be picky, but I'm pretty impatient with (paid) video tutorials and if the presenter seems to not know what he's doing, I start gnawing my table pretty fast. ;-)

Will watch the rest later.

Cheers,

Tom

m.d.
05-07-2013, 10:56 AM
ya my 470's chew through the sims...and thats not really much compared to current cards

one thing you'll notice though....is as great as a card is...the limited memory prevents larger sims...

I take it to a point, and if its gonna be too big I let my 6 core i7 take over

It would be cool if jascha could add functionality that would switch from GPU to CPU once the GPU runs out of memory

Thomas Helzle
05-07-2013, 11:01 AM
I know, but I meant it more for the tutorial - after a while it's getting old to watch it simulate ;-)

Your idea is funny since the product page actually says that it switches automatically: "When GPU memory is exceeded, TurbulenceFD switches back to the CPU on-the-fly." That's not what happens here - maybe in the C4D version?
I also hope he will add particle advection soon...

Cheers,

Tom

3djock
05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Kat, you did a really great job on the videos, some stuff I already new about but some stuff I did not especially with velocity. Highly recommend for beginner to advanced definitely worth the $35..

OlaHaldor
05-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Just started watching the first video, and I noticed something about the version number..
What version of TurbulenceFD do you guys have? I see Kat has v1.0 Rev 1123 in his video, while I've got 1.0 1120, which is the latest version I can download from the Jawset website.

djlithium
05-07-2013, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=Thomas Helzle;1320546]Some more:

- Between Video 4 and 5 there is a jump. You didn't mention Velocity Weight in Video 4 but Video 5 starts with an unexplained comparison between it being on and off and you talk about "our velocity weight scene"...?

Hmm. I will have to watch that one again to check.

- Video 5 is quite confusing: when trying out if velocity weight of the sphere has an influence on the simulation, you also change other stuff so it's impossible to compare the before and the after. After the video I still don't know IF it has an influence or not. I would guess not?

I thought i made it clear that velocity weight works with particles only in video 5 so the impact is that if you have it on the sphere id doesn't do anything.

- Sorry, but would you shut down Skype while recording please ;-)

Yeah yeah. Sorry about that. I do kill it.

- In Video 9 you seem to say that the custom Surface Texture and the built in Noise (Volume Texture...) are doing different things, but from the results it looks to me as if they do the same and are kind of multiplied? I didn't find that clear.

The results are additive, not multiplied and I do state that down the road.

djlithium
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Just started watching the first video, and I noticed something about the version number..
What version of TurbulenceFD do you guys have? I see Kat has v1.0 Rev 1123 in his video, while I've got 1.0 1120, which is the latest version I can download from the Jawset website.

You should see a new build shortly. Jascha has posted a notice on the forums at jawset.com about this.

Thomas Helzle
05-07-2013, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=Thomas Helzle;1320546]The results are additive, not multiplied and I do state that down the road.
But if they were additive, how can the Volume Texture make the Surface Texture emission go away?

Well, I guess I'll rather sit down myself and find out what it does.

Cheers,

Tom

m.d.
05-07-2013, 11:27 AM
I know, but I meant it more for the tutorial - after a while it's getting old to watch it simulate ;-)

Your idea is funny since the product page actually says that it switches automatically: "When GPU memory is exceeded, TurbulenceFD switches back to the CPU on-the-fly." That's not what happens here - maybe in the C4D version?
I also hope he will add particle advection soon...

Cheers,

Tom

Nope...it gives a nice warning why it stopped...

Didnt see that on the product page....

Another bug/feature request then

djlithium
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=djlithium;1320555]
But if they were additive, how can the Volume Texture make the Surface Texture emission go away?

Well, I guess I'll rather sit down myself and find out what it does.

Cheers,

Tom

The volume texture scale drives everything that goes over top of it. It's kind of a weird thing I know. Personally i would rather have it so that the volume texture scale can be set to be off and whatever you put on top in the surface texture editor drives the emission completely on its own.

OlaHaldor
05-07-2013, 11:57 AM
You should see a new build shortly. Jascha has posted a notice on the forums at jawset.com about this.
Thanks! Don't see any post by Jascha about it though. Looking forward to the update. Enjoying your videos!

khan973
05-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Awesome! thanks, I just bought it, it will be good to re-learn it after all my old tests.
I look more forward to discover the next one!

prometheus
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
So... hopefully some of you bought into the Group TFD purchase that made its' way here on the Forums. If you've been watching you know that there is a lack of training vids available.

Enter the Kat.

Kelly just released the first in a new series of vids on it.

I'm Downloading now. =0)

http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/05/5519/

Might be worh checking out...
maybe not related and not sure if Kelly worked on it, but those working on the fluids and explosion effects on Iron sky, well..I wasnīt really that impressed with that work unfortunatly.
Both hypervoxels work and fluids, seemed only to reach a semi level of quality to those effects on some parts...however I havenīt seen the whole film only some parts.
Other vfx stuff seemed much better though...Just my critics on the fluids and voxel effects look of it all.
PS...what I mentioned above doesnīt mean that the released tutorial would be of no use or so, Im sure it will help guys get starting quite well.

I hope the part two series have some of the finished project samples rendered so we get an idea of how that looks.

Michael

Thomas Helzle
05-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Well, as far as I have watched the Tutorial (Video 15) I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Too often I have the impression the narrator isn't really sure what he is doing and some of the explanations leave me wondering if that's really what's going on.
I was hoping for a more definite overview to get me going.
I may not be the intended audience though - my years in XSI and ICE taught me a lot about particles and fluids so I may be too critical.

I still got some value out of it, but I think Jascha would be well advised to create decent docs.

YMMV.

Cheers,

Tom

prometheus
05-07-2013, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE
- The explanation of the "Illuminate Smoke in VPR" setting in the about box was confusing and I wondered why you left it off?

Thanks a lot for the tutorials! This should spare me a lot of annoyance. The TFD docs are really bad...

Cheers,

Tom[/QUOTE]

Cant figure out why jascha put the illuminate smoke in the about tab, should be in the smoke render tab you might think, not very initiuive to have it in the about tab, but that I have already
mentioned a couple of times to him, as well as not setting default temperature and density to a value of 1, instead of 0 and density sim is also off by default, I think newbies would
get up and running faster with those settings changed by default.

The illuminate smoke simply adds ray scattering and thus shadows and illumination to give a deeper depth to the smoke density, takes longer to render but is important for
thick smoke with shadows...not really needed for pure fire, so that can be off for that.

And yes the docīs are a little awkward, I have begun to simple save the hml pages one by one, open them one by one in word, and then paste each section in one main word doc..that gives me on single word dock I can scroll up and down and also direct overview of several channels which you have to jump in and out on at the online docs. the word doc also has headline bookmarks to click on.

http://vimeo.com/35832026
http://vimeo.com/35528035
http://vimeo.com/30915803

Phil
05-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Well, as far as I have watched the Tutorial (Video 15) I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Too often I have the impression the narrator isn't really sure what he is doing and some of the explanations leave me wondering if that's really what's going on.
I may not be the intended audience though - my years in XSI and ICE taught me a lot about particles and fluids so I may be too critical.

I still got some value out of it, but I think Jascha would be well advised to create decent docs.

YMMV.

Cheers,

Tom

It's an introductory video series. It's also only 35 USD. For that, I'm content to give it a whirl. I just need to find some time. I'm generally reasonably comfortable with TFD, but that shading interface is just bizarre.

I really hope there's an updated Mac build of TFD before too much longer. I'm getting some very inconsistent renderings (F9, abort, F9 with no changes leads to either a totally black volume or a lurid green volume, where previously there was a pretty fireball). Jascha appears to have given up responding to bug reports. At times, it feels like Can Tarcan all over again....

jasonwestmas
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Jascha appears to have given up responding to bug reports. At times, it feels like Can Tarcan all over again....

I doubt it seeing as bugs in popular plugins I've used get reported and I very rarely receive a response there. I don't think his silence means anything necessarily.

prometheus
05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
It's an introductory video series. It's also only 35 USD. For that, I'm content to give it a whirl. I just need to find some time. I'm generally reasonably comfortable with TFD, but that shading interface is just bizarre.

I really hope there's an updated Mac build of TFD before too much longer. I'm getting some very inconsistent renderings (F9, abort, F9 with no changes leads to either a totally black volume or a lurid green volume, where previously there was a pretty fireball). Jascha appears to have given up responding to bug reports. At times, it feels like Can Tarcan all over again....

Letīs hope not, Ivé always gotten mail feedback directly in my mail when asking from there and quite fast.

I didnt jump on the group purchase nor did I buy a single license, just fiddling with the demos still and that will have to do until I get a new job, I also had to many issues
with installing it and on 32 bit crashing with collision objects..so there was a couple of factors that I had to consider when I excluded it for a group purchase, Besides I do not have
any urgent need for it..even though I love to fiddle with it from time to time.
I need to have it working a little more stable when update versions arrives in order for me to evaluate it to such point that I feel the time is right to invest in it.

Tip of the day, apart from tweaking white point or damping, you can also simply change the fireshader tabs/color opacity/green and blue values and reduce those till aprox 75 or 50 %
and keep the red to 100% for a little more reddish tone.

A lot of the look has to do with how you tweak the fireshader mapping density curves and learn how to tweak those and take note of the results, also important to take note of
how smoke mapping and fire mapping combined works together, the clear smoke above can be tweaked somewhere around 0,5 for a more pronounced fire when mixing with smoke.
Also would suggest to tweak the fireshader mapping curve to pull down the fire so the smoke starts to show up...before going in to the smoke shader mapping curves.
For all this you should use Illuminate smoke for best looking smoke...In the weird about tab.

Michael

Phil
05-07-2013, 07:26 PM
This is what I got with some effort. As mentioned, though, it all turns either lurid green or solid black if I re-render the frame. Even quitting and restarting Layout won't help. I've sent all the content to Jascha, but so far....no reply.

TalleyJC
05-07-2013, 08:18 PM

YMMV.

Cheers,

Tom

Kat knows what he's doing. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2449660/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2449660/filmoseries#tt0407362

jwiede
05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I doubt it seeing as bugs in popular plugins I've used get reported and I very rarely receive a response there. I don't think his silence means anything necessarily.
I've always found Jascha very responsive to Mac bugs I raise to him. You're likely just seeing ebb and flow of bug load, where sometimes he's deep in the muck changing the innards of the engine and cannot really "back out" without losing too much context info (a common sw debug state), and other times he's not and quick to respond. Comparing Jascha with Can (who "went dark" for about a year barely acknowledging anything, and then went "pitch black" never responding to anything further to date) seems a bit harsh, frankly.

jwiede
05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Thomas (or anyone with the tutorial), is the audio uniformly low, or is it just the speech that's low (such that turning up for speech causes other audio to become overly loud)? It sounds like worthwhile content, but comments about poor voice audio levels in a tutorial make me wary, because that usually means by the time I turn the volume up loud enough to hear the speech clearly, other audio channels (f.e. computer audio) get almost painfully loud.

jasonwestmas
05-07-2013, 09:20 PM
I've always found Jascha very responsive to Mac bugs I raise to him. You're likely just seeing ebb and flow of bug load, where sometimes he's deep in the muck changing the innards of the engine and cannot really "back out" without losing too much context info (a common sw debug state), and other times he's not and quick to respond. Comparing Jascha with Can (who "went dark" for about a year barely acknowledging anything, and then went "pitch black" never responding to anything further to date) seems a bit harsh, frankly.

Makes sense to me.

Phil
05-07-2013, 09:35 PM

I've filed a bunch of bugs with Jascha. I've only heard back for 2-3 of them. I'm not rushing to judgement here. I've been a paid-up customer since the very early stages of Turbulence for LightWave.

TalleyJC
05-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Thomas (or anyone with the tutorial), is the audio uniformly low, or is it just the speech that's low (such that turning up for speech causes other audio to become overly loud)? It sounds like worthwhile content, but comments about poor voice audio levels in a tutorial make me wary, because that usually means by the time I turn the volume up loud enough to hear the speech clearly, other audio channels (f.e. computer audio) get almost painfully loud.

Kat does noise reduction on his vids so you don't hear the machine in audio... Its uniform.... I don't have any issue with it but I also use my machine for pro audio so I have better speakers than standard pc speakers. I turn my mixer up to about 40%.

erikals
05-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I've filed a bunch of bugs with Jascha. I've only heard back for 2-3 of them.

same goes for NT at times, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything... (things take time)

jwiede
05-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I've filed a bunch of bugs with Jascha. I've only heard back for 2-3 of them. I'm not rushing to judgement here. I've been a paid-up customer since the very early stages of Turbulence for LightWave.
I don't doubt you, it's just that your experience with Jascha has been quite different from mine. I've had a TFD license since the beginning as well (I originally bought T4D for C4D back before there even was a LW version), and haven't had the response issues with Jascha you've experienced.

In any case, this thread is supposed to be about Kat's tutorial, so might be best for us to table this for now or move it elsewhere.

jwiede
05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Kat does noise reduction on his vids so you don't hear the machine in audio... Its uniform.... I don't have any issue with it but I also use my machine for pro audio so I have better speakers than standard pc speakers. I turn my mixer up to about 40%.
Actually, I'm not asking about "background machine noise" picked up from the same source as his voice, I'm referring to explicit computer-generated UI response sounds (error sounds, etc.). Since they're typically recorded in parallel on a different input channel, they don't require noise reduction, and thus unless normalized after the voice channel's noise reduction, can wind up with higher (louder) audio levels.

For listening to tutorials, etc. I rarely use speakers, I generally listen using my studio monitor headphones (I also use my system for audio work).

TalleyJC
05-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Actually, I'm not asking about "background machine noise" picked up from the same source as his voice, I'm referring to explicit computer-generated UI response sounds (error sounds, etc.). Since they're typically recorded in parallel on a different input channel, they don't require noise reduction, and thus unless normalized after the voice channel's noise reduction, can wind up with higher (louder) audio levels.

For listening to tutorials, etc. I rarely use speakers, I generally listen using my studio monitor headphones (I also use my system for audio work).

no computer noises, beeps buzzes etc

Thomas Helzle
05-08-2013, 01:36 AM

That istn't a problem, it's uniformly low volume. Only if you should have any other sound going off on your machine or watch a youtube video in between you may get blasted ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Eagle66
05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Hello Kat,
thanks 4 the this New TFD Training Tutorial! GREAT!

Can you focus on the 2nd Part of this Tutorials - how to get most realism results out of TFD and/or what you can fixed in post composite like Fusion to get the results in a real Live Action Footage.

My most problem in TFD is the shading interface, LW Scene Lights, rendering setup and/or Layers for Compositing and how accurate you have to simulate (Volume size, etc.) for realism integration.

One project based example from scratch to finish would be nice.

Thanks!

djlithium
05-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Hello Kat,
thanks 4 the this New TFD Training Tutorial! GREAT!

Can you focus on the 2nd Part of this Tutorials - how to get most realism results out of TFD and/or what you can fixed in post composite like Fusion to get the results in a real Live Action Footage.

My most problem in TFD is the shading interface, LW Scene Lights, rendering setup and/or Layers for Compositing and how accurate you have to simulate (Volume size, etc.) for realism integration.

One project based example from scratch to finish would be nice.

Thanks!

You betcha! One of the issues I have with TFD at the moment is it doesn't seem to want to "kick off light" in any way. ie the flames don't emit light into the scene and the FireLight doesn't work either (which is why I don't touch on that in this video). Jascha is looking into this however.

jwiede
05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm just getting started with the training, so far the content is excellent but I'll review properly later. I'm mostly posting this because I wanted to mention that while the audio is a bit quiet in certain videos, for most I'm not finding it anywhere as quiet as I'd expected -- I'm not really having to adjust my listening volume up much compared to other tutorial content and normal usage. In case others were concerned about the earlier volume descriptions (as I was), I just want to make clear that I'm not finding the volume a problem at all so far. Thanks!

Megalodon2.0
07-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Is there any word on Part Two of this tutorial series?

djlithium
07-03-2013, 02:05 AM
It's a bit late but it is coming. I had to clear a show off of my desktop first.

BigHache
07-03-2013, 05:17 AM
Noooo! Why do we always hurt the ones we love???

Looking forward to this as soon as I get a newer GPU.

djlithium
07-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Part of the reason why this second part is held back is so I can get some GTX cards that work with TFD, sorted from a vendor. My other cards don't work with it...(GTX-275) :(

prometheus
07-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks for sharing Kat, good for the community and the future of Lightwave when you support with training material and from a voice with your production background.
That said, I probably will not buy in to them, partly because I might think I can learn a lot myself and feel comfortable with that, but who knows, maybe I run in to a wall of fire somewhere along the line:)

(depends on if you would go through a very practical production project including destruction of some kind along with turbulenceFD)

Apart from that, I had a little of too many issues for my liking with turbulence ..so I decided to let it rest for a while, and plus that I lost my job...my main desktop computer went down...so there is several factors as cause of
me not fiddling with turbulence for a while and also not jumping in to the group purchase.

when you do put the last video up, if you can..put a part of it up as a teaser showcase..you could have openGl with the fireshader running and do a calculation of some sim, so we also can see how well your new cards
runs with turbulenceFD.

Iīm for the moment in to testing some houdini CloudFX after I the other day installed houdini apprentice, its really cool by the way, but I also went to the pyrofx fluids tab and was about to test that, i was a bit surprised
that it was running so slow, but I might have had to high resolution or maybe there is somewhere I need to config it for my nvidia cuda card or something, if it now supports it? have to check that.
Anyway...it got me thinking..I want to go back to turbulenceFD actually, even though pyrofx might be more powerful and flexible.

Edit..the last release update of turbulenceFD ...
2013-06-16
v1.0 Rev 1160

before that..I think/thought that the fluid light (firelilght) was fixed?

v1.0 Revision 1155 (2013-05-22)

* use system proxy setting for license activation
* added lerp fallback for Fedkiw's not quite monotonic cubic interpolator
* fixed: crash when running empty simulations in some situations
* fixed: shader smoothing was broken
* C4D: fixed: polygon selections with modifiers weren't handled correctly
* LW: fixed: fluid light was broken

Michael

prometheus
07-03-2013, 07:37 AM
dont miss jawsetīs vimeo page...showcasing tesla card and cinema4d version of turbulenceFD, showcase of the interactive mode..that is slick, now I have no idea if this now is available in the latest updates for lightwave too?
and if such, maybe it wonīt come close to that realtime interaction unless using such tesla cards or similar?

showcase of interactive firecontrol in cinema4d
https://vimeo.com/68429873

Large Scale Smoke Simulation GPU vs CPU - 8x Speedup..tesla k20
https://vimeo.com/62379982

The newer scene sample of the big blast scene...
https://vimeo.com/66182608

Michael

Megalodon2.0
07-03-2013, 02:44 PM
It's a bit late but it is coming. I had to clear a show off of my desktop first.

Part of the reason why this second part is held back is so I can get some GTX cards that work with TFD, sorted from a vendor. My other cards don't work with it...(GTX-275) :(

Well... can't wait to buy it. I'll probably be getting part one this weekend. Hopefully part two before the end of the month? :)

In any event, it's GREAT to have this training. Thanks!

jwiede
07-06-2013, 04:16 AM
and if such, maybe it wonīt come close to that realtime interaction unless using such tesla cards or similar?

With a GTX570 card I'm able to get around the same level of interactivity in C4D as what Jascha was showing with 580 in the video (no surprise really), quite usable. The addition of interactive mode makes setting up Turbulence much more efficient, since you can instantly see the impact of your changes, a HUGE improvement IMO.

It'd be great if he could add the same functionality to the LW version, but many plugin devs attempting "live"/interactive gfx/GUIs in Layout seem to be encountering problems of late.

prometheus
07-06-2013, 04:27 AM
With a GTX570 card I'm able to get around the same level of interactivity in C4D as what Jascha was showing with 580 in the video (no surprise really), quite usable. The addition of interactive mode makes setting up Turbulence much more efficient, since you can instantly see the impact of your changes, a HUGE improvement IMO.

Thanks for the feedback on that, I have to fix my desktop comp, still running the laptop gtx 560M, my desktop is gtx480 and that is faster.
How much ram do you have and what harddrives? solid state?

Im impressed with the speed of turbulence,Been testing houdini pyro, but I havent carefully checked how to optimize it nor less checked if it utilize cuda in my settings, houdini pyro feels slow but I might not have the same voxel settings etc..
I hope jascha could pull off a direct openGL view of both the fireshader and the smoke shader at once, and also improve on the viewport opengl shader so it matches what
is actually rendered.

Michael

jwiede
07-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback on that, I have to fix my desktop comp, still running the laptop gtx 560M, my desktop is gtx480 and that is faster.
How much ram do you have and what harddrives? solid state?
Just regular rotational media, 7200RPM across the board. The only difference in system from my sig's stated specs is that the ATI HD5770 has been replaced by an NVidia GTX570 w/ 1.2GB GDDR5 (again nothing special) for CUDA experimentation. The interactive mode doesn't seem to be horribly taxing in terms of hw requirements to achieve useful interactivity.

OlaHaldor
07-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Any news on the project based training?

djlithium
07-17-2013, 09:50 PM
It's coming. Just need to get a couple of things out of the way including Siggraph next week here first as Liberty3d.com will be present at the show this year. It is on its way though, so don't panic. Remember to always have your towel! =^..^=

zapper1998
08-22-2013, 10:02 AM
nice stuff

:)

djlithium
09-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I've added a new video on the subject of TFD stuff.
I have continued on with the Introduction to TFD series with Advanced Concepts and projects: Fireball available here at http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/09/tfd-advanced-projects-and-concepts-fireball/
There will be several installments in this series and releasing very shortly.
I decided to break up the videos into smaller bit sized chunks showing different types of effects instead of a huge video running hours and hours on end.
This way you can get in, get out and get results quickly.

For those of you who just got TFD and are freaked out please check out this product here http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/05/5519/

If you have any questions, hit me up on skype ( djlithium ) or emeowl me.
[email protected] liberty3d.com

prometheus
09-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I've added a new video on the subject of TFD stuff.
I have continued on with the Introduction to TFD series with Advanced Concepts and projects: Fireball available here at http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/09/tfd-advanced-projects-and-concepts-fireball/
There will be several installments in this series and releasing very shortly.
I decided to break up the videos into smaller bit sized chunks showing different types of effects instead of a huge video running hours and hours on end.
This way you can get in, get out and get results quickly.

For those of you who just got TFD and are freaked out please check out this product here http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/05/5519/

If you have any questions, hit me up on skype ( djlithium ) or emeowl me.
[email protected] liberty3d.com

I think that is wise of you to do, and also wise to post animated samples.
regarding splitting vidīs in to chunks, I think digital tutors had a very good disposition of doing that, providing a nice flash interface splitted in to different chapters with images and description on what that section
would cover, and the chapters themself not being to long either.
Some doesnīt like digital tutors..but that is another story and it is of course highly dependent on what is covered and who does the training.
Michael