PDA

View Full Version : Changing pivot rotation

Philbert
05-05-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm feeling really stupid now. I need the object the move in a direction other than world XYZ. I could have sworn I could just rotate the pivot point in Layout and that would do it, but no. I've tried all three coordinate systems and they all just give me the regular "world" XYZ when moving. What am I forgetting? this seems so simple.

Golden Spindle
05-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Actually I have the same question. I thought you could do that in Modeler though

Philbert
05-05-2013, 11:40 PM
I don't know any way to do it Modeler. I know you can move it in Modeler, I actually did that here, but not rotate it that I'm aware of.

geo_n
05-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Your mesh in modeller must be completely 90 degrees then in layout rotate the mesh to look like that in your pic which is angled mesh then change your coordinate to local.
If your mesh was angled like that in the pic in modeller in the first place then in layout it wouldn't matter what coordinate system you used since its not really rotated yet. Hth.

edit just to test, rotate your camera pitch down then change to local coordinate. you see the xzy translate now is tilted.

Philbert
05-06-2013, 01:46 AM
What would the camera have to do with anything? The problem exists no matter what view you look through? While still really strange I rotated it in Modeler. If Rotate Pivot doesn't rotate the pivot, what does it too?

Danner
05-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Rotate pivot does rotate the pivot, but not the handle of the pivot. Does that make sense? It's useful for IK and such. What you need can be done with parenting. All you have to do is add a null, Make sure you are in Parent Coordinates, rotate it to match the direction you want and parent your geometry to the null (parent in place on). Now if you select your geometry the handles should point where you want them to.

Lewis
05-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Actually I have the same question. I thought you could do that in Modeler though

With new Transform tool in MODELER you can rotate/align to any point/poly/edge so you can easily move/slide along any edge/axis.. Sadly that's just for modeler and no PIVOT rotation at all :(.

Philbert
05-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Rotate pivot does rotate the pivot, but not the handle of the pivot. Does that make sense? It's useful for IK and such. What you need can be done with parenting. All you have to do is add a null, Make sure you are in Parent Coordinates, rotate it to match the direction you want and parent your geometry to the null (parent in place on). Now if you select your geometry the handles should point where you want them to.

This makes sense I believe I've done this before. I can go months between animating anything so I start to forget simple stuff I think.

With new Transform tool in MODELER you can rotate/align to any point/poly/edge so you can easily move/slide along any edge/axis.. Sadly that's just for modeler and no PIVOT rotation at all :(.

Yeah, unfortunately no animation in Modeler so it wouldn't do me much good there unless I wanted to make a morph.

Lewis
05-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Yeah, unfortunately no animation in Modeler............

Good part on this is that more and more people each month realize how limiting is split environment comparing to unified ;).

probiner
05-06-2013, 03:21 AM
you said the U word :O

Philbert
05-06-2013, 04:22 AM
Just to be clear I wasn't saying I wanted animation in Modeler. I just wanted to rotate the pivot point. Let's not get into that again.

Lewis
05-06-2013, 04:26 AM
Just to be clear I wasn't saying I wanted animation in Modeler. I just wanted to rotate the pivot point. Let's not get into that again.

Ofcourse you didn't but if you had modeling tools now in layout (i.e. unification) you could use new Transform tool and select points, make keyframe, move points with pivot placed onto any edge/geometry, make new keyframe and DONE. Now you'll have to do several workarounds to get to the point what you need :(.

Philbert
05-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Or they cold just let me rotate the pivot.

Lewis
05-06-2013, 04:30 AM
Or they cold just let me rotate the pivot.

Yeah If point would have "sides" that would be an option but since point has no Front/Rear/Top/Down not sure how would that work :).

probiner
05-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Simple example of what Lewis is talking about.

You have two object spheres, selected in Layout. You want to rotate them around the selection center and snap them into some position. You can't.
Sure you can parent them to something else in between of their original parent, but this is not a rigging matter you just wanted to transform their position and orientation at that point with that particular center, not to make a rig out of it.
You and do this in SI and Modo. Furthermore in Modo you can apply modeling deform tools to object items. It will change their pivots' Position, Rotation and Size and also use the falloffs and snaps.

Now imagine the well spoken LWCAD snapping system and tools in Layout...

Cheers

geo_n
05-06-2013, 06:21 AM
What would the camera have to do with anything? The problem exists no matter what view you look through? While still really strange I rotated it in Modeler. If Rotate Pivot doesn't rotate the pivot, what does it too?

I meant that if you try it on a camera you will see that the coordinate works. Rotate pitch of camera then change to local. You can move THE CAMERA in local space.
Your object must have been rotated in modeller in the first place. Layout doesn't know anything about that. Coordinate local, parent, world won't make a difference if your object is 0,0,0 on everything.
Correct your model in modeller so its 90 degrees then in layout rotate it to what you want then you can change to local and move in that angled direction.
Ofcourse its easier to post some boxes that represent your model.

chikega
05-06-2013, 09:03 AM
I meant that if you try it on a camera you will see that the coordinate works. Rotate pitch of camera then change to local. You can move THE CAMERA in local space.
Your object must have been rotated in modeller in the first place. Layout doesn't know anything about that. Coordinate local, parent, world won't make a difference if your object is 0,0,0 on everything.
Correct your model in modeller so its 90 degrees then in layout rotate it to what you want then you can change to local and move in that angled direction.
Ofcourse its easier to post some boxes that represent your model.

So, geo_n, you're essentially saying to rotate the model to match the pivot and then rotate the model back in Layout.

Philbert
05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah If point would have "sides" that would be an option but since point has no Front/Rear/Top/Down not sure how would that work :).

Or give me a way to rotate the gizmo then.

Lewis
05-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Or give me a way to rotate the gizmo then.

I can't and maybe even NT can't as you can see from your problem now which is nto that easy solvable in LW as you might thing, especially if you want to ignore unification need.

chikega
05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
MODO has both a Center and Pivot. The Center and the Pivot can both be translated and rotated. But the Pivot is animatable. So you can in effect have a box tumble down a hill with the Pivot translating to one side of the box to another about which the box rotates. Richard Hurrey, a modeling and character technical director at Pixar Animation Studios, has stated that the tools in Modo are similar to the ones that they use at Pixar. He created the Master Rigging course in Modo:

http://www.luxology.com/store/riggingmastercourse/index.aspx

I think it's really important to have a unified environment as well after my recent experience of trying to animate a dental hand-piece disk.