PDA

View Full Version : A nice way to make glass!

Tiger
11-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone! Wanna make some glass? I do like this:

1:Make a object. Set: Lum=0%, Diffuse=8%, specu=65%, gloss=40, Reflection=5%, Transparency=95%, Refraction-index=1.517(glas).Smoothing=yes, you can do. Dubble sided=NO! There you go...you have nice object.

2: Hit Q and name your surface "glass". Now, copy that one and go to a new layer and press "paste", and your object is there.

3:Now, press "f" to flipp it. Hit "q" and call it Air_tekk or something like that. Settings should be as the first surface, only one thing we change: Refraction Index should go to 1,0. for air.

4: Lunchbreak :p

5: Hit "x" to cut your object and go to layer 1 and hit"paste" so the 2 layers becomed one. Hit "m" to bring up the "Merge points"
Accept the default settings and hit"OK". There we go....save your object, call it whatever you want and send it to
grandma...oh....sorry.....we are not quite done yet.

6: Load your object and make sure your object have the right settings. The object looks nice if it stands on some table or something. Now, some black points will occur at your first rendered object and that is the sky above, reflecting. So hit the "Scene"tab and and hit"preset" and pick a nice sky.

7: As far as lights go, I set ambient light to 0! A pointlight will do Ok! At last, in "Surface editor" hit "Shaders" and add "Fast Fresnel". Settings:"Minimum Glancing Angle", here I made 70%, the rest I have no ide how to set. Maybe someone can can tell us all!

8: A nice effect to add is "Caustics=Curved reflective or transparent surfaces such as metal, glass and water tend to bend
and refocus light rays into bright single spots. You know, when light passes glass and hit the table. Now, this will increase your render time a bit. Choose a low setting for this.

9:Colored glass? Choose the"glas surface" and pick your color. Then hit "Advance", then in "Colorfilter" put 100%.

This is the way I do glass. For sure there is things one can improve ( my english, for example. I`m from Sweden.) Many settings I have no ide how they affect the object. I do Lightwave for fun in my freetime. I`m not a expert!

Anyway, hope you like it!

Tiger.

Broncos30
11-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Go get "3D World" issue 43 it has a fantastic glass tutorial for Lightwave 3D. Your glass still has a plastic feel to it. Try to play with refraction maps and the BRDF shader to get a more realistic light interaction.

Tiger
11-09-2003, 08:21 PM
Thanx Bronco! Yes..you are right. Its looks to plastic. My new one have a little more "glass" feel to, I think. Your new Sofa looks great!

Tiger
11-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Sorry...I mean that your Pumpkin looks very nice!

marlo.steed
11-09-2003, 09:51 PM
I was recently experimenting with reflections and glass. This is what I came up with. I am still not totally happy with the look of the glass. Although, in the real world, glass can look kind of weird anyway. I think our minds often come up with a stereotypical idea of what glass should look like and we end up striving for something that is fairly unrealistic.

SamuraiSlayer
11-11-2003, 02:50 PM
what i can't figure out, i guess i terribly overlooked something, but how do you have things reflect the objects in the scene instead of using a picture...???

jeremyhardin
11-11-2003, 08:29 PM
1. in surface panel, set reflection to RayTracing and Backdrop/Spherical map (instead of just Backdrop/Spherical map)

2. in render options panel, check RayTrace Reflections