PDA

View Full Version : Mr Gorner, please work your magic on the Deformers UI!

raw-m
05-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Deformers are extremely useful and a powerful tool for my mograph stuff but setting up base and handle nulls is a pain and there's not enough visual feedback for what is being effected and where, especially when you have a couple on top of each other.

I have to be honest, I've done in a little work in C4d recently and there's a lot there to like, UI on their deformers being one of them, but I enjoy LW much more and would rather work with you guys!

Matt, please work your magic :D

Snosrap
05-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Before he can work his magic the engineers need to work theirs. :)

raw-m
05-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Yes, it's all great team work and a clumsily labeled post (long day!) but the Deformers could be so much easier to use and potentially a great marketing tool to catch people's attention. They are essential for some of my work but they haven't been touched for years!

(Would be great if they worked with Time Scaling in Instances for offsetting, for example)

jwiede
05-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Honestly, I'd rather see the existing ones scrapped, and a new set of deformers written from scratch. Instead of putting a ton of work into a set of deformers that, at best, will still be disjoint in UI/UX, with poor combining/blending, poor scriptability, etc., I think that effort would be much better spent producing a new set of deformer tools designed for both interactive and scripted usage from start, can be easily blended/stacked/reordered, and with clear, unified UI/UX elements across the whole set.

Snosrap
05-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Honestly, I'd rather see the existing ones scrapped, and a new set of deformers written from scratch. Instead of putting a ton of work into a set of deformers that, at best, will still be disjoint in UI/UX, with poor combining/blending, poor scriptability, etc., I think that effort would be much better spent producing a new set of deformer tools designed for both interactive and scripted usage from start, can be easily blended/stacked/reordered, and with clear, unified UI/UX elements across the whole set. Yep - more of Core is needed at LW's core. :)

realgray
05-05-2013, 10:31 PM
+1 for working on deformers. Had my own frustrations last night.

Kryslin
05-06-2013, 12:20 AM
There's a really deep seated issue sitting at the roots of the deformation system that will probably require a rewrite, anyway. I ran into it linking morphs to a channel on an object, and had things deferred until I scrubbed the timeline, turned Virtual Studio LIVE! on, or put an empty follower somewhere on the model to force an update... It's still open on Fogbugz, and they have native content to test it.