PDA

View Full Version : quickly referencing pages during broadcasts

City of SLO
05-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Hello all,

I'm a former Compix user who now uses a stand-alone LiveText 2.0 and a TC 855. With the Compix, I could find the lower third I needed using a text file with a numbered reference list of graphics. To keep both LT and this cheat sheet visible at all times, I scaled down the program windows to allow room on the desktop for both. I would find the lower third by looking for its number in the text file and enter that number into Compix to send it to air. It was quick, easy, and necessary, because there were usually 120 lower thirds that could be used during a broadcast. I needed that cheat sheet text file. Occasionally, I also needed a search function if I needed a lower third that wasn't on the list.

With the stand alone LT, it appears to me that neither is possible. I can't scale down the LT window, so I have to have the cheat sheet on top of LT to see which lower third I need. Then I must ALT-Tab to switch to LiveText to enter the number and then ALT-Tab again to bring my text file back on top. It can be done, but it's slower and drastically less efficient than the former Compix procedure. Worse, if I need a graphic that is not on the list, I have to either Page Up or Page Down to go through pages one at a time on LT or try to read the tiny font in the pages window, because I can find no search function. Overall, it's not a workable situation.

I am a newbie. I may be missing something obvious. What is it? How do you deal with broadcasts that require quickly airing more lower thirds than can be committed to memory?

Thank you for your help.

Chris

PIZAZZ
05-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Have you looked into Kris's Scoreboard solution for Livetext?
If you are doing sports then this is a must have.
http://tofervision.com/software/ltscoreboards/

We run that and the text input notepad side by side on a 1080p monitor.

PIZAZZ
05-03-2013, 08:33 PM
One other thought is you could use the new Compix CG software that comes into TriCaster via the Net inputs. $1500 for a new copy. Then you would have to adjust your workflow and you forget the plus of motion graphics that Livetext just will not do.

We are resellers for both Kris' and Compix. Let me know if I can help you get setup with either.

JonRaidel
05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
City of SLO/PIZAZZ,
You want to punch up page numbers like a Chyron/Compix? say no more. Graphics Outfitters will be releasing such a device to aid LiveText.

Jeff, this is exactly what I emailed you about. almost time to make it public :)

City of SLO
05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Jeff, Jon, thank you. So far, we only broadcast government hearings, so I don't think the scoreboard solution would work for us, unless it's adaptable to public meetings. When our Tricaster was installed in December, I asked about using our Compix with the Tricaster, because the Compix had worked so well for the last 5 years. As recently as a few weeks ago, I was told that it was not possible. Do I understand you correctly that Compix now has a solution for running Compix graphics through the Tricaster 855? In my position, all I can do is find options and make recommendations, but that sounds promising. Thanks again for your help.

JonRaidel
05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
you actually have three options.

1. you can use your existing compix into the tricaster and bring in the Key+Fill as sources. this does take up two valuable bnc inputs. but depending what model tricaster you are using this could be no issue.

2. use exisiting compix system and puchase Graphics Outtfitters "iVGA Connect". this magical device takes your key+fill and brings it intoyour tricaster via ethernet into a 'Net Input'

3. purchase a $5000 Compix iVGA product

PIZAZZ
05-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Do I understand you correctly that Compix now has a solution for running Compix graphics through the Tricaster 855? I.

Yes that is correct. Compix now has a version that feeds directly into the TriCaster via the Network inputs.

http://www.compixlinx.com/

IF I remember correctly, I believe I was told by Compix at NAB that the cost is $1500.

City of SLO
05-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Again, thank you both. Between its bugs and limitations, LiveText has made my job much harder than it was with Compix. I want my Compix back, so your advice is encouraging. Jon, you've reminded me of the reason I was given for having to ditch our old Compix: I'd have to give up a camera. If I understand you correctly, either of these options get me around that problem, so if I may trouble the two of you further--is there a reason why I should go with the Compix Linx over the iVGA or vise versa? To my amateur eye, it seems either one solves my problem.

Extra Credit:
A very broad question: In your opinion, do either of you think that LiveText is worth the time and effort to stick with it? In other words, do you see it as an intuitive, efficient, and reliable program, and it just takes practice to appreciate its abilities, or do you think LiveText has enough issues that it's worth looking into other options.

JonRaidel
05-10-2013, 09:27 PM
I will go for the Extra Credit Points first! :)

Ditch Livetext. it sounds like you are skilled in Compix, know the system and have a way of doing your productions already. Livetext is great for beginners and having a separate operator doing simple graphics. but not high quality shows or a heavy graphic intensive show.

Onto the First question:
If the Compix solution is truly $1500 (plus a laptop im assuming) I would probably suggest going that route. Your legacy Compix files probably will open in this new version. Although I would check into that first.
The iVGA connect solution is there if you want to use your existing Compix system (or any Key+Fill CG Generator) priced at $3000 its great for people who want to save video inputs.

City of SLO
05-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Jon,

With your input in mind, I think I can now make a solid argument to The Keepers of The Budget. Thank you very much.

PIZAZZ
05-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Jon,

With your input in mind, I think I can now make a solid argument to The Keepers of The Budget. Thank you very much.

Chris I have some news for you. I just got off the phone with Compix.

Compix Linx is going to be ready for full distribution very shortly. I was unfortunately misinformed on the pricing though.

Compix Linx with the iVGA output in DUAL HD channels output will be $4500 usd
Compix Linx with the branding and social integration modules will be on a NAB Special price of $7500 usd. (after the special period is over it will go up to the normal bundle price of $9995.00)

Not bad pricing at all compared to the competition out there for 2 channels of HD motion graphics.

Sorry for the misinformation earlier. Not sure why I had that number in my head previously.

PIZAZZ
05-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Good Gosh,

I hate distributing misinformation. Compix Linx is priced currently at $3495. That is 2 channels via IVGA/Net inputs on the TriCaster in full HD for only $3495 plus your PC hardware.

So sorry for the mistake earlier.

City of SLO
05-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Jef,

No trouble at all. Thank you for the update. My employers are looking at the budget right now, and I think $3500 is good news.

PIZAZZ
05-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Jef,

No trouble at all. Thank you for the update. My employers are looking at the budget right now, and I think $3500 is good news.

Be glad to assist you with it.